Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18v 1.5 amp battery trouble because of weather?

I purchased the 18v compact drill that came with two 18v 1.5 amp compact batteries. The drill has been great - small, lightweight, consistently performs the light screw gun type work that you'd normally expect from such a tool. But both batteries permanently died after using them for less than 1 year.

The drill and batteries both are stored in my truck tool box. Does anyone know if extreme warm weather, or even cold weather could have affected this default? I live in north Alabama where summer temps reach 100F and extreme winter temps drop to about 15F.

Re: 18v 1.5 amp battery trouble because of weather?

If registered properly you can get them replaced.

I'd be more worried about draining a battery all the way down and not recharging reasonably quick than the weather extremes as far as totally killing a battery.

The weather extremes can affect charging and performance at any given time, but it shouldn't kill them as far as I know.

Comment

I assume these are Li batteries. Hot is not good for them. Cold is not good either, it stops them working, but it is not permanent.

The worst thing for Li batteries is to keep them charged and in a high temperature environment. The outside temp may have reached 100 F, but in your truck it can get much higher.

I don't know if extreme high temps will kill the batteries outright, but 'high' temps will reduce the capacity of the battery. Obviously different battery chemistries react differently, but I seem to remember reading that a Li battery will lose about 50% of it's capacity if left for a year fully charged at temperatures above 100F.

As someone mentioned, they should be covered by warranty. If they were 'RECON' you will be out of warranty after a year. If bought new, there is a 3 year warranty. If you have the receipt it should not be a problem. If you do not have a receipt, you can check the date code (part of the serial number). One year ago would be about 0826 (26th week of 2008). Call the Customer Serevice and explain your position, and if you have the right information/evidence, they should be able to let you know you are covered and direct you to a service center.

While talking to Customer Service, ask about what you need to do to register for the Lifetime Servive Agreement.

Comment

There is a problem with the batteries. My batteries were stored and used in ideal conditions and I still had one die. I took it to a repair shop for warranty work and they told me there's a large problem with the batteries and people bring them in daily. He also told me the batteries are on back order and it could take 1 -3 months berfore I get a replacement. Until then I guess I just hope the other battery doesn't die.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzholder View Post
          There is a problem with the batteries. My batteries were stored and used in ideal conditions and I still had one die. I took it to a repair shop for warranty work and they told me there's a large problem with the batteries and people bring them in daily. He also told me the batteries are on back order and it could take 1 -3 months berfore I get a replacement. Until then I guess I just hope the other battery doesn't die.
          I would try another service center or contact Ridgid directly for replacement. There have been many posts on this forum where people reported significant delays with certain repair centers and reported much improved results when switching. Unfortunately not all service center service is capable.
          We are a professional contractor and have apprx 12 of the 1.5AH LI batts in inventory that are used and abused every day by our crews. Some have been in service for two years and we have not experienced a single failure.
          Good luck....Ray

Comment

While it might not have necessarily been the cause of the failure, it very likely was. You should never store any battery in a hot place, particularly if they are lithium ion. Li-ion batteries loose a certain percentage of their total capacity every year and its directly related to the temperature they are stored at. It's normally at around 20% loss per year at room temperature. If stored in hot conditions it will be much higher. A bettery that looses 50% of it's capacity is pretty much a dead battery.
            Cold will also affect them but only in the sense that thhey will not output full power or charge fully until they reach normal temperatures. It will have the opposite effect though as a cold will actually extend it's life under storage.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I am registered for the Lifetime Service Agreement with this tool. Given the feedback I've gotten from everyone, I'll give the Ridgid Service Dept. a call rather than trying to send my batteries to a service center.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                X