X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ryobi TEK4 product line

Saw some of these in Home Depot last time I was there, Seems like they are offering all kinds of gadgets, though very few things I'd actually want to use. They also didn't include essentials like a small driver, or even a stud finder. The price is pretty steep too.

http://www.ryobitools.com/tek4/#/home

Re: New Ryobi TEK4 product line

Originally posted by wathman View Post
    Saw some of these in Home Depot last time I was there, Seems like they are offering all kinds of gadgets, though very few things I'd actually want to use. They also didn't include essentials like a small driver, or even a stud finder. The price is pretty steep too.

http://www.ryobitools.com/tek4/#/home
    I want the earmuffs, but will need to wait until a suitable holiday.

Comment

The concept is interesting. Instead of having to throw away a bunch of alkaline batteries every year a single rechargable lithium cell is a much better option. Only problem is these things go nowhere without being established as some sort of industry standard so in the end when this product is inevitably discontinued you are likely to get stuck with no replacement batteries. They'll also need to fight the perception that goes with Ryobi = low end. This is unlikely to attract attention beyond the novelty home users crowd even if it's a really good idea.

Comment

I saw them at home depot and if you use hybrid NIMH AA batteries, there is no need to buy the Ryobi product or throw away batteries.

Comment

Interesting group of products, but I see nothing there that I really have a need for. I don't know the price, but certainly if there's something there that would interest someone, it's probably worth a look anyway. The Li-Ion batteries certainly would outlast any NiCad or NiMh battery, but I question whether venturing into another proprietary battery type is a wise adventure, unless you have a need for several of the product offerings.

Like you mentioned, you'd think they would at least have included a "driver" or some other widely sought tool in this initial offering.

I'd wait awhile..... (hmmm does one really want to buy a Ryobi camera?)

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            I saw them at home depot and if you use hybrid NIMH AA batteries, there is no need to buy the Ryobi product or throw away batteries.
            How's the charge life on those? The problem with the rechargeable Nimh AA's I've seen is that they need to be recharged every few weeks. Having to recharge batteries before using electronics kind of defeats the purpose so alkaline is still more convenient. At least with li-ion they should last over a year with a charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
              How's the charge life on those? The problem with the rechargeable Nimh AA's I've seen is that they need to be recharged every few weeks. Having to recharge batteries before using electronics kind of defeats the purpose so alkaline is still more convenient. At least with li-ion they should last over a year with a charge.
              Charge life on standard NIMH is poor, they lose several percent every day!
              Last year I started buying what are called "Precharged, or Hybrid" NIMH, this technology allows the battery to hold the charge well over a month , maybe two. Well worth the investment. I use these batteries in cameras, flashlights, remotes, everything and they are great. I also mark my LION's and rotate them, have several RCR123A's and18650's. The RCR123A's are extremely cost effective for use in my LED flashlights, hundreds of dollars in savings.

Comment

I agree that the battery has to be adopted as some kind of "standard," or at least have Ryobi prove that they are going to have this type of battery around for a while and not completely axe the line after a year. A few years back I got a Black and Decker VPX 12 v tool kit starter set, and those have all but disappeared. Think I saw an old set tucked away on a shelf in Big Lots, but even they were asking too much for an obsolete tool set.

Comment

funny as the camera was sold out yesterday at my hd.
                  a couple weeks before it was also gone along with other specialty tools. i did play with the self leving laser until joey yelled to get going
                  thier led light is very bright and says it last 6 hours

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I have the ear muffs and they are great.What they do is block out loud noises and bangs but will let you hear voices and carry on a conversation. It is perfect for the shooting range or using a jackhammer or any loud equipment. So don't sleep on the muffs, if you get a pair you will see how usefull they can be.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                      Interesting group of products, but I see nothing there that I really have a need for. I don't know the price, but certainly if there's something there that would interest someone, it's probably worth a look anyway. The Li-Ion batteries certainly would outlast any NiCad or NiMh battery, but I question whether venturing into another proprietary battery type is a wise adventure, unless you have a need for several of the product offerings.

Like you mentioned, you'd think they would at least have included a "driver" or some other widely sought tool in this initial offering.

I'd wait awhile..... (hmmm does one really want to buy a Ryobi camera?)

CWS
                      Haha, the camera is the only one I would consider buying. I need a digital cam that will stand up to the abuse of a construction site....

Comment

not sure how rugged the Ryobi camera is, though the demo one they had on the display I saw was already looking a bit worn. Probably still works fine, but some of the painted on labels were chipping off.

Saw an interesting camera from Pentax that seems pretty rugged, and should have a better sensor in it. Only problem is that it's going to be $300 when it hits market.
                        http://gizmodo.com/5302206/pentaxs-o...erious-beating

Also, I saw that there is a 4v driver that uses the TEK 4 battery, it was in a kit with what looked like "power scissors" going for about $37. It wasn't on the main display, though nearby in the front of the clearance section. Makes me think that they released it before the recent marketing push for their new products.

Comment

It scares me when everyone under the sun starts bringing lasers out. Finding someone that calibrates them right in a suitable ammount of time-under a week-. is difficult.

5 hour charge time?! wowzers!

Power source thing is cool though...

Comment

Working...
                          X