X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Warranty scam

The guy is right I have all ridgid tool and All the cordless batteries are crap and last time it took me 3 months to get batteries back. Why cant they just exchange at home depot if they are covered . The lifetime warranty is crap. Why should I have to produce a reciept or register my damn batteries . get real! The home depot where I am will not replace batteries. The tools are useless and I have 2 thousand dollars worth of ridgid tools.
    Last edited by croc; 07-08-2009, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Please allow me to chime in re:the warranty issue.
      Although I am sure it is not a scam, I do feel his frustration in dealing with Rigid.
      I seem to have great difficulty in reaching a live body who will respond.
      I have a new-under one year old and lightly used cordless drill with a malfunctioning charger.
      Took the unit to the authorized shop and some time later I was informed that the parts/replacement are out of stock and IF they are supplied at all it could be 3 more months.
      This is all from the repair shop- repeated attempts to reach Rigid have not met with any success and since there is no phone number you are forced to rely on e mails which, sorry to say, are really easy to avoid since it is impersonal and you do not have a live breathing customer on the other end to interact with.
      There needs to be a much better interface with the consumer or this type of frustration will continue.

Now, if anyone knows how to directly contact Rigid, I will be in your debt.
      Thank you for the time to expound.

Comment

Originally posted by croc View Post
        The guy is right I have all ridgid tool and All the cordless batteries are crap and last time it took me 3 months to get batteries back. Why cant they just exchange at home depot if they are covered . The lifetime warranty is crap. Why should I have to produce a reciept or register my damn batteries . get real! The home depot where I am will not replace batteries. The tools are useless and I have 2 thousand dollars worth of ridgid tools.
        "croc" sounds like a good name for you.

of what? we are still deciding.

Comment

Originally posted by gary0529 View Post
          Please allow me to chime in re:the warranty issue.
          Although I am sure it is not a scam, I do feel his frustration in dealing with Rigid.
          I seem to have great difficulty in reaching a live body who will respond.
          I have a new-under one year old and lightly used cordless drill with a malfunctioning charger.
          Took the unit to the authorized shop and some time later I was informed that the parts/replacement are out of stock and IF they are supplied at all it could be 3 more months.
          This is all from the repair shop- repeated attempts to reach Rigid have not met with any success and since there is no phone number you are forced to rely on e mails which, sorry to say, are really easy to avoid since it is impersonal and you do not have a live breathing customer on the other end to interact with.
          There needs to be a much better interface with the consumer or this type of frustration will continue.

Now, if anyone knows how to directly contact Rigid, I will be in your debt.
          Thank you for the time to expound.
          www.ridgid.com/Tools/Contact-Us

Comment

Re: Warranty is not a scam, I can personally vouch for it and there is a good reason

Originally posted by jtalley007 View Post
            It takes a while to confirm it is done but once done you get a barcoded keytag.
            Keytag? What keytag? I registered my TS2400 and it took almost 9 months to hear back from Ridgid but I now have my LLSA. Based upon the time it took to register, I may have a keytag by Christmas.

Comment

Lot's of "attitude" about the issue and most of it seems to be circumstantial I guess. With thousands of tools out there, I've seen comparably few complaints. One has to consider that most people will post only when they have a complaint and the many happy customers that are out there will mostly be quiet.

My own experience is that the LLSA happily meets my expectations. I've only recently had to use it, but the process worked fairly well. In my particular case, there's a brand service place within eight miles of where I currently live. My only concern was that it took time to get the parts for one of the two tools I had in for service.

From start to finish, it took about eight weeks to repair, because of parts back order. Not nearly as timely as I would have liked, but not alarming either.

As far as batteries are concerned, my 14.4- and 18-volt batteries are all working fine... even though they are not used every day (home owner, doing reno work). That's the worst kind of operation for NiCads! I've had them almost three years now. When the time comes, I expect their replacement will be equally as painless as the regular LLSA repair service has proven.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                Lot's of "attitude" about the issue and most of it seems to be circumstantial I guess. CWS
                It would be nice to have some happy howling on here rather than so much angry howling.

Comment

Geez Rofl what did you do ? Sit up all night to think of that reply DUH! Moron!

Comment

Thanks for chiming in - The warranty process is allright for the average person but when you use your tools for work its a hassel to wait -you either have to purchase more batteries or have back up tools. From what I can see its the same thing every time you have to deal with the service center.

Comment

Warranty, LSA dosn't come for free. You pay for it! They are not motivated much to service you fast, let you buy batteries with LSA, or have simply HD to take care of you. Simply they would go bankrupt if they do.

It is a game you need to learn to play just like any other corporate game.

If you can buy a kit (3x tools, 1x charger, 2x 1/2 capacity battery) for price of one tool or one battery that makes you wonder about the whole thing.

Would I be better to buy a tool that costs less and doesn't come with the fancy warranty/LSA but it it replaced quickly by HD?

My 2c.

Comment

Originally posted by croc View Post
                        Geez Rofl what did you do ? Sit up all night to think of that reply DUH! Moron!
                        We know what you are a croc of now.

Thanks.

Comment

321Dragon,

You say that the consumer pays for the LLSA? I suppose that one could (or maybe should) look at it that way, considering that the price of any product must take into account all the factors including research and developement, manufacturing, marketing, and warranty; as well as any aftermarket service like the LLSA.

But, you shouldn't discount the fact that Ridgid does all this, including the LLSA and still markets a rather fine tool at a very competitive price.

If you're implying that the "pay" is doing the necessary "paperwork" in order to meet the requirements of the LLSA, then I guess I can't agree with you, as that (often claimed as jumping through hoops) is such a minor effort that it's almost laughable.

You could buy a cheaper tool from Skil, Black and Decker, and perhaps even Ryobi (the latter being part of the TTI Group which manufactures Ridgid and Milwaukie). But I believe that the replacement cost of batteries is relatively high, regardless of brand. Let's face it, batteries are just expensive! If that cost is a major concern, then "corded" tools are both cheaper to buy, and you never have to worry about batteries. (Our fathers and grandfathers managed to work well without the need for batteries, not that I'm implying any of us should... but we have to recognize that such convenience has both a higher upfront cost as well as an ongoing cost to keep them powered.)

Regarding your concern for "backup"... well, all I can offer is that "backup" is a necessity in any business. With me, it was a matter of having a duplicate computer system that was fully loaded and linked to the primary, in order to have backup duplication every half hour. That cost was several $000). My work was always with a deadline, and if I relied on a single system with no "backup" I'd loose the whole job, from it's enception, not just find that I couldn't continue.

If you go into a job with only one cutting or boring tool, you know very well that you run some risk. Backup on any job is an essential part of the business. Home Depot offers a paid plan that will replace your tool immediately. But that has nothing to do with the Ridgid or TTI companies. Likewise, Home Depot has no responsibility whatsoever regarding your purchase and it manufacturer's warranty, beyond some rather short initial period that they (HD) offers as a good will gesture.

Really, outside of the occasional assembly flaw, the only complaint that I find has some legitimacy, is the ongoing parts problem that has been plagueing the product line almost from its announcement.

CWS
                          Last edited by CWSmith; 07-09-2009, 02:29 PM.

Comment

That is fair enough.

Only one comment, batteries are so cheap that it is laughable. Prove? See the prices of reconditioned tool kits with new battery packs. As I mentioned, you get bunch of tools and batteries for a price of a one bigger battery.

One 18v pack has 5 individual cells. They must be buying them for $2-5 each. Their cost of the pack must be $15-30.

They do not make the cells. They make tools to resell the cells with huge profits while individually sold packs do not have LSA.

There is nothing wrong with that as long as the buyers accept it.

Comment

I've had good life from my ridgid batteries and I know several people with buckets of dead dewalt batteries.

I'll take my chances.

Comment

Originally posted by 321dragon View Post
                                Warranty, LSA dosn't come for free. You pay for it! They are not motivated much to service you fast, let you buy batteries with LSA, or have simply HD to take care of you. Simply they would go bankrupt if they do.

It is a game you need to learn to play just like any other corporate game.

If you can buy a kit (3x tools, 1x charger, 2x 1/2 capacity battery) for price of one tool or one battery that makes you wonder about the whole thing.

Would I be better to buy a tool that costs less and doesn't come with the fancy warranty/LSA but it it replaced quickly by HD?

My 2c.
                                The problem with your statements here is that almost all the tool companies, including DeWalt, Milwuakee, and others, charge as much for one tool as they do for a kit.

Also, what tool can be replaced quickly by HD? You can return anything there for the first 90 days, but after that your stuck with the warranty of whatever brand you bought. If you buy a DeWalt drill and it breaks after 6 months, you can't take it to HD and expect them to swap it out. You have to take it to a DeWalt service center. This goes for all brands.

Comment

Working...
                                X