My choice of cordless drill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My choice of cordless drill

A couple of weeks ago I saw my 18v cordless drill was going out. Asked your guys your opinions on the best out there now and this is what I bought. http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...roductID=17858

I bought a 18v Dewalt 1/4" impact driver at HD. It cost 269 and it came with an extra battery. I also bought a Makita drill bit adapter so I can use it to drill without dealing with the 1/4" hex drill bits. I wasn't sure how well it would drill but it did great. Wish I bought this when it first came out.

I went to HD to buy some picture hangers and came out with a $340 receipt. Go figure.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: My choice of cordless drill

http://www.toolup.com/panasonic/ey7540ln2l.html

Comment

Just curious why you didn't go for the Ridgid 1/4" impact? I'm sure the DeWalt is a great tool and if you want to expand your tools, they've got plenty to choose from. I use my Ridgid 1/4" impact and right angle impact all the time, they are great. I guess if I had to buy again I would go for DeWalt or Milwaukee M-18 only because they offer so many tools. Hey, best of luck with a great tool!

Comment

I have Ridgid, Dewalt, Milwaukee and Makita. My favorite out of the bunch is Makita.

Comment

A while back I bought a new Makita compact 18v Li-ion drill, been great. Just bought a matching 1/4 impact from Amazon for $84.99 inc. shipping.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Gear Junkie,
            Congrats on a great new tool. I just scored a Bosch 18v lithium impactor (tool only) for $73. If you have not opened the Makita chuck yet, return it. I have one and it is has turned into a paper weight. The chuck opens right up if you try to back out in reverse, leaving the bit in your workpiece. Try one of these instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-2..._bxgy_hi_img_a

Or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-725405...6681318&sr=1-7

Also, Ryobi makes a decent set of hex drive drill bits for $20, all but the smallest bits have held up for me. Lowe's also carries many Hitachi and Kobalt brand hex drive drill bits. they're probably all made in the same factory anyway.

Ern
            Last edited by erngum; 07-03-2009, 11:35 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

We are a contractor and over the years have purchased and used and abused a wide variety of cordless drills including Black and Decker, Makita, DeWalt, and more recently several models of Ridgid including the 18V hammer drill, 24V hammer drill and the Ridgid 18V LI compact drill. All of these tools have provided good service in the context of performing well with minimum problems in the demanding environment of professional contracting crews. They must hold up when used in freezing cold, heat, plaster, concrete and rotted wood debri, rain, snow and being pushed to the max.
              Based on input from my crews and my own personal preference the drill I feel is the standout in a good group is the Ridgid 18V LI Compact. It is light and has a light, well balanced, has flawless trigger control, good power, and very reasonable run time using the 1.5Ah batt which helps keep the whole package feeling nice to the hand. We have several of them and they have been used and abused for two tough years by our crews without a single failure to date. The bonus is that when the day comes that we do have a problem or when the expensive Lithium Ion batteries do need replacing there will be no cost to our company as both of those occurances will be covered by the Ridgid Limited lifetime Service Agreement. In these cost relevent times that is indeed a very nice bonus......Ray

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                We are a contractor and over the years have purchased and used and abused a wide variety of cordless drills including Black and Decker, Makita, DeWalt, and more recently several models of Ridgid including the 18V hammer drill, 24V hammer drill and the Ridgid 18V LI compact drill. All of these tools have provided good service in the context of performing well with minimum problems in the demanding environment of professional contracting crews. They must hold up when used in freezing cold, heat, plaster, concrete and rotted wood debri, rain, snow and being pushed to the max.
                Based on input from my crews and my own personal preference the drill I feel is the standout in a good group is the Ridgid 18V LI Compact. It is light and has a light, well balanced, has flawless trigger control, good power, and very reasonable run time using the 1.5Ah batt which helps keep the whole package feeling nice to the hand. We have several of them and they have been used and abused for two tough years by our crews without a single failure to date. The bonus is that when the day comes that we do have a problem or when the expensive Lithium Ion batteries do need replacing there will be no cost to our company as both of those occurances will be covered by the Ridgid Limited lifetime Service Agreement. In these cost relevent times that is indeed a very nice bonus......Ray
                Ray, I would take your advice with no questions asked. My right angle Ridgid 12volt is running great with the 14.4volt Max battery. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  Just curious why you didn't go for the Ridgid 1/4" impact? I'm sure the DeWalt is a great tool and if you want to expand your tools, they've got plenty to choose from.
                  One reason is that I already own a dewalt flashlight, sawzall, vacuum cleaner and circular saw. All run off the 18v battery and having tools with the same battery has pulled me out of jams more than once. Plus the driver came with 3 batteries.

Other reason is there's a companny called Kipper Kits who make toolboxes for the seabees already filled with tools. The tools they use are greenlee, klein-electrical, ridgid-plumbing, Hilti for the big stuff and Dewalt for power tools. My thought process was here's a company that can sell any tool they want to the government and they pick dewalt. Dewalt's gotta be good.

I think the biggest reason is comort zone. I feel comfortable with dewalt. I started using dewalt because everyone on the jobsite used dewalt 14.4 so there was always at least one fully charged battery at the power pole. If I was the only guy using Makita, I'd be sol for an hour if my battery went dead.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                  X