Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R86006 Battery

Hi,

I purchased the 18 Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Drill(R86006) last summer and today one of the two batteries will not hold a charge. I put in the charger and it indicates it is fully charged but it dies as soon as i use it. How long should these batteries last? I found a replacement battery for $82 dollars but that seems expensive. Has anyboby on these forums had a similar experience like this with these batteries.

Thanks,
    Craig

Re: R86006 Battery

Did you register it for the LSA? You should be able to get the battery replaced for free.

Comment

Question: was the in-op battery hot at the time and the one that worked cool? I know that hot batteries will not charge and a cold battery will not work... I wonder if a HOT battery will also not function till it cools.

Comment

I am having a similar problem to the above however in my case, both of the batteries suddenly won't charge. I did register for the LSA but I can't find any of my records nor can I find my receipt.

Comment

It is normal for lithium ion batteries to die "quickly" when charged few times a day, day after day, week after week, and under severe usage that these batteries are exposed every time they are quick charged. It would be better to charge them slower (with less current) and when they are cool. Read the paragraph under "Shelf life":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

Comment

Either way, in both instances with these drills, the two posters with problems should be fine. Yes, you should get the LLSA and stuff done when applicable (must be done within 90 days). But, either way, these drill kits have a 3 year warranty and if they were only purchased last year, you'd be fine - the serial number has the date of manufacture in it, so just bring your kits to your local authorized service center and have them looked at and repaired/replaced.

And no, you shouldn't have that problem. It sounds like the cells have over-discharged, and potentially fried out the lithium cells causing them to maybe short out and fry themselves after the drastic changes by a recharge and usage after being stored over-discharged for too long, needing for them to be replaced. Just speculation on my part - it depends on how long they've been sitting around. But, either way, no they shouldn't act like this - bring them in for repair.

Comment

Working...
            X