X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help - stuck chuck!

If you can get an easyout into the broken bit you might try to put a visegrip on the end and tap tap pull the bit out. You can not use an easyout to back it out as it is a hex seat. A cobalt bit is best for hard steel drilling. I understand what you mean about trying to push the bit out but you do not have access to the rear.

I always place a spring into these chuck's centers so if I release by the ring the bit will pop out, ant it makes the bit more secure as it has no slack too. Ridgid's design is such that these is so much space below the bit when inserted that it can over seat and jam at the base of the 1/4" hex. If you hold the chuck open on these QD chucks and push the bit in you will see the extra space. I have not had any issues since installing these springs. I know some do not like the bits springing out on release , but I prefer this. The DeWalt version is best in that when you release the bit it locks open you just have to insert the new it and it will lock/snap the ring again.

Comment

I have taken it apart, and now have diret access to the broken peice in the chuck. However, it is almost like the broken peice has "fused" to the bottom of the hcuk, due to the heaet & pressure etc. I know the part number. I've been meaning to talk to a fellow at the tool rental centre of my local Home Depot, to see if one could simply order a new part. Anyone familiar with where I could go to order a part?

Thanks

Comment

this anvil can be ordered right here from ridgid parts or any ridgid service center, we have replaced a few of these with broke bits, soft bits get the corners rounded off allowing the bit to wedge in the anvil, if you have a enough metal left, you may be able to drill and tap a 10-32 into the bit and work it loose
        part number is 671562001

Comment

Working...
        X