X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - stuck chuck!

I had the chuck end of a drill bit snap off & get stuck in the chuck. I've tried drilling it out with bit slightly smaller than the chuck size, which removed most of it, but there is still a portion left I can't get out. can I remove the screws at front to gain access to the chuck somehow to clear it? Right now it is rendered unsuable otherwise.

Thank you kindly!

Re: Help - stuck chuck!

loosen the chuck?

Comment

It's a hex-style chuck. The back end of a hex-type bit is wedge into the back end of the chuck.

Comment

You mean an SDS type drill?
        Drill a hole large enough for an easy-out
        screw in the easy-out tight, now you have a handle to pull out the broken piece

Comment

Help us here, make and model of the drill. A picture would be great.

Comment

I beleive I have a model R82320 14.4 Kv Impact Driver:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R82320-Impact-Driver/

The bottom end of a 1/4" hex drill bit broke off & remains stuck at the bottom end of of the 1/4" quick coupler.

I'm familiar as what was previously referred to an "easy out".

I'll see if I can post a picture sometime soon.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Comment

Originally posted by adeppisch View Post
              I beleive I have a model R82320 14.4 Kv Impact Driver:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R82320-Impact-Driver/

The bottom end of a 1/4" hex drill bit broke off & remains stuck at the bottom end of of the 1/4" quick coupler.

I'm familiar as what was previously referred to an "easy out".

I'll see if I can post a picture sometime soon.

Thanks for everyone's help.
              I talked with someone in our shop today who had broken a bit off in the chuck of a 14.4V impact. He said to remove the snap ring that is around the chuck and it will come out and you will be able to remove the broken piece.
              Good luck...Ray

Comment

Perhaps you could also ask him if it was an internal or external snap ring, and what the correct type of snap pliers he used be to remove it. Thanks!

Comment

He showed me a 14.4 impact viewing it from the nose. There is a snap ring just inside the sleeve you pull out to load the bit. He couldn't remember if he used a pick or pair of snap
                  ring pliers, however he got under the ring and snapped it out. He said that then the sleeve comes out along with some ball bearings and springs. He said the bit came out easily after removing the parts.
                  All the above is from memory of yesterday. I can't talk with him as he is on vacation. I just looked at the nose of one of our 14.4 impacts and the snap ring is very visable, albiet very small for the visually challenged like myself. I don't know if we have any snap ring pliers that small. I would probably try to get under the edge of the ring with a pick or a very small screwdriver and pry it out. Good luck. Let us know how you make out....Ray
                  Last edited by roadrashray; 07-14-2009, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Thanks very much for your help. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Comment

I managed to get the snap ring off & then unscrewed the front housing. I was able to access the peice that conatins the broken bitm but am still not able to pry out the broken peice inside. I was hoping to access from the back to punch it out but that is not an option. There are two small holes on side where I took out two small bearings where I can see the bottom of the bit. However it seems bit is "fused" to the chuck pretty good. Not quite sure what to do next...

Comment

Bummer!......My guy is still on vacation. Maybe it's time to find out if this kind of repair is covered under the LSA!
                        Sorry we couldn't help you.....Ray

Comment

If any of the bit is sticking out of the chuck put it in a vise and run the driver in reverse slowly just to let it hammer a few times and the piece will pop out, you can do the same thing with an easy out inserted into the piece if it is broken below the collet

Comment

technically, using a drill bit [with hex end] in an impact driver is a NO-NO!
                            However, we all do it!

Using the proper type bit in any impact driver is extremely important as the weak ones will break and seize, as you're experiencing.

This may be over simplified..but I did not read that you said you pulled the coupler away from the driver while trying to remove the broken bit.

A final comment... be sure to use the correct bits ball detent style not the wire detent style. Ensure the bit end has no burrs or is worn..either of those problems and you're guaranteed to have a stuck bit.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by adeppisch View Post
                              I managed to get the snap ring off & then unscrewed the front housing. I was able to access the peice that conatins the broken bitm but am still not able to pry out the broken peice inside. I was hoping to access from the back to punch it out but that is not an option. There are two small holes on side where I took out two small bearings where I can see the bottom of the bit. However it seems bit is "fused" to the chuck pretty good. Not quite sure what to do next...
                              This may seem like a strange suggestion, however I have had it work before with small jammed pieces. Place the part with the broken piece in your home freezer overnight. This will slightly shrink both pieces and may relieve the pressure. Remove in the morning and place it on a piece of steel and rap it with a hammer.
                              Good luck.....Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X