decking material

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decking material

i have a small area of concrete i would like to cover with wood decking material.

plan to lay wood furing strips down first then screw my decking material to it, what do i use to attach the furing strips down? should i use a product like liquid nails or some other type of adhesive, and where can i purchase this material (lowes?)

Re: decking material

I suppose you could use an adhesive, but I've never quite trusted using just adhesive by itself, for application. If you do use it, I believe Lowes, Home Depot, or your local hometown building supply store could suggest the proper adhesive to use.

I think if I were doing it, I'd be inclined to drill the concrete in a few places and use anchor inserts and bolt a few of the strips to the concrete and forget about the adhesive. I think you'd only have to do this to a few support strips and not every one. Main objective is to anchor the deck so it isn't going to move on you, nothing more.

One advantage to doing it without the adhesive would be that if you ever decide to remove the decking (or replace it), it will come up much more easily and there will be no residue that you'll have to work to remove.

I presume you are going to use treated lumber, but even then, I think you'll want to make your strips thick enough to get the actual deck above any water that pools on the concrete.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

You can use concrete screws directly, they have a blue coating. Red head anchors are stronger. Do not use fur strips, they will rot. PT lumber or Redwood/Cedar. The newer composite materials could also be used but the cost seems way out of line for recycled materials that are not attractive.

Comment

does it snow in new york? you will have this being wet the majority of the year, unless your doing it in your garage or house. just a thought. breid

Comment

Working...
        X