X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24vt Batteries

I bought a combo 24v set in Dec/08. My batteries will fully charge but within about 2 weeks of non use (separated from tools) the batteries are completely dead. Is this normal? I have own different types of battery tools and the batteries will last months with now activity even left in the drills. I bought Ridgid because I thought they were the most industrial type drills and saws on the market.
    Last edited by barefoot; 07-11-2009, 06:37 PM.

Re: 24vt Batteries

I have several 24V batteries , none of which will hold a full charge for a

complete month of non-use .

Pleased with the tools . The batteries ... not so much .

Comment

A search of this forum will show there has been significant discussion regarding the self discharge of the 24V batteries. The explanation has been that the monitoring circuit draws power which discharges the batteries faster than would be expected. We have noticed this trend however since we are using and charging the batteries on a daily basis it is no problem. Some of the FYIers on this forum have posted that they stick the batteries on the charger to top off every week or so.
      With all that said a complete shelf discharge in two weeks is very fast and if true would seem to indicate a problem......Ray
      Last edited by roadrashray; 07-13-2009, 07:30 AM.

Comment

I've had a set for about 2 years now and have been pleased with the tools. Like Ray, I use mine everyday, so I rarely have a battery that doesn't get charged for more than a day or two. But on the few occasions that we didn't use one for a couple weeks, there would be some power loss, but it wouldn't be completely dead. Also, these batteries will discharge faster in the cold. But yours sound like they are discharging faster than most. I would have them checked out.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
          A search of this forum will show there has been significant discussion regarding the self discharge of the 24V batteries. The explanation has been that the monitoring circuit draws power which discharges the batteries faster than would be expected. We have noticed this trend however since we are using and charging the batteries on a daily basis it is no problem. Some of the FYIers on this forum have posted that they stick the batteries on the charger to top off every week or so.
          With all that said a complete shelf discharge in two weeks is very fast and if true would seem to indicate a problem......Ray
          I agree with everything that Ray said. I myself go through streaks-and-spurts, where I use the tools and therefore batteries everyday, and then other times where I don't use the batteries/tools for upwards of a month or longer. The furthest that I have let them sit, is for about 2 months, and they showed a full discharge at that point. At about 1 month of non-use, they were about 1/2 to 3/4 empty.

It's a bit of a crutch for these batteries, but it's a necessary evil in a way - the monitoring circuit is indeed what's causing that, and it is an integral part of the safety of these large-capacity lithium-ion batteries.

The good things is that you have the 3-year warranty, and then hopefully the LLSA, to cover you with these. It's something that we have to put up with until either the battery cells needs replacing through a service center due to excessive over-discharge, and/or maybe a repair/fix for the monitoring circuit draining, which would also be covered and done through your local service center.

Either way, a nuisance yes, but not a big deal.

All that said, as Ray also said, the fact that yours is fully discharging in 2 weeks is a little bit speedy/excessive. I would have them looked at by your local service center. You will probably need to bring all of your tools in for this - they will need to ensure that it isn't a bad charger, and/or that the drill isn't shorting out the batteries.

Comment

Working...
          X