Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Registering Batteries Replaced through LSA

Originally posted by advertguy2 View Post
    I didn't get any paperwork when I got my service. Dropped off my drill and battery. I got a little tag number. He said to bring my other battery when I came to pick it up. Went and picked it up, got my stuff. No receipt no nothing.

I did notice that the replacement batteries have a different serial number than the ones I had before and the ones I've checked out in stores. My old ones started with a G and so do the ones in the stores. My new ones are CS. Wonder if that means anything?
    I do believe the way that they do these codes are that the letters are for the factory that the item was built at, then the year, then the week. So, if your battery has a "serial number" of G0643, then your battery was built at factory "G", and in the assembly batch from week # 43 in 2006. [The factory, "G", or "CS", I believe is the first initial from the name of the factories in China that TTI/OWT is using to build this product line.

At least, that's the way it was all explained to me by a Ridgid rep a while back. Plus, that's pretty commonsense/commonplace formatting.

That said (I don't know why, but I've been using this segway quite a bit lately ), I don't know if I would personally like the way that your local repair shop did it. Me personally, I would request that they took out all the defective stuff out of my batteries, and replace it with proper functioning guts (cells, electronics, etc.) from the new replacement batteries. I think I would want them to use my original casing, just so that I don't have an issue with exchange/warranty/LLSA issues down the road. It almost sounds to me like your local shop just took the easy way out, and did a straight swap, to save themselves the added time of doing the labour to properly repair and replace everything. They could then make a little bit more profit on the billing end of things with Ridgid, one would think.

I don't like it. Especially since they gave you no paperwork whatsoever to confirm the swap/repair - anything that could potentially lead to an LLSA issue down the road is just not something that I'd like to deal with. My two cents, anyways.

Comment

The shop did take a copy of my Ridgid registration card. Oh well. I'm going to register my new ones, and in 3 years when they need to be replaced, hopefully there won't be an issue.

Comment

The shop did take a copy of my Ridgid registration card. Oh well. I'm going to register my new ones, and in 3 years when they need to be replaced, hopefully there won't be an issue.
        Registering them is one thing but having them covered under the LLSA is another matter altogether. When you register a tool/battery into your Dashboard(stupid name) all you're doing is registering that item, nothing more. In order for it to be included into the LLSA, it's my understanding you have to send in all the necessary info plus the UPC. As most here are aware that separately purchased batteries are not covered under the LLSA you've really haven't accomplished anything, IMO, by just registering them.

I really wish someone at RIDGID/TTI would step up to the plate and clarify this matter. If that's already been done and I missed it, my bad.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Just think, three years from now you'll be able to point back to this thread as your supporting documentation on your battery return. Good luck.

Comment

Actually, I sent an email to Ridgid asking this question when I had trouble getting into the dashboard thing... Their response:

"If they were replaced by the warranty center, we would have the replacement records and would not update the account. "

So there you have it. They are more organized than I thought they would be. It's just common sense that they would update their records.

Comment

Did the Service Center record the serial number(s) of the replacements? If not then I wonder how Ridgid would know down the road when it's time to replace them that they were replacements for your original ones.
              ================================================== ====
              ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Well, I can only speak on speculation here because I don't have the details, but here is how I would see it happening and how I believe it was done. Correct me if any of my speculative steps are way over the top and incorrect (steps 3 and 4).

1) I bring my stuff in to the service centre along with my card
                2) Guy copies the card, takes my stuff, gives me a ticket for pickup later on
                3) Guy calls Ridgid, orders replacement batteries and gives them my card number
                4) Ridgid looks up my batteries on their super-duper database, checks that they are eligable, sends out 2 new ones while updating their database with the new battery numbers.
                5) Service centre guy receives the new batteries a week and a half later and calls me to come get them.
                6) I get them and ask the Service centre guy about registering them and he says he didn't know and I should contact Ridgid.
                7) I get a response from Ridgid Customer Service which I posted above

I don't believe the service centre guy took the numbers down since I have a number of service centres in my area and can take them anywhere. I'm not too worried about getting new ones in the future when these ones die after receiving the email (Dashboard) from customer service.
                Last edited by advertguy2; 07-17-2009, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X