X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R8660 Collated Driver - No bits available

I have this drill, love it, but my bit tip broke. Couldn't find one at Home Depot or anywhere. Contacted Ridgid and was shocked to learn they are not available! How can you produce and sell a drill that requires a special-size bit and not provide the bits? Any one else had this issue?

Re: R8660 Collated Driver - No bits available

First, i work for a company that makes collated screws and auto feed systems. Unfortunately, we do not yet have a tool like the one you are describing. However, our screws will work in your gun. Our web site is www.pamfast.com.

To your specific problem, we have a bit that works, but it only works with our PAMDrive screws (a modified Torx recess), unique to our screws.

If you need phillips or square drive, the bit is 160 mm - 6 1/4" that you can probably get from a house that handles Senco tools. Some Home Depots do carry that bit, but i do not know the stock number. Just make sure that you get the right length, the corded Ridgid tool uses a 130 mm - 5 1/8" which will be too short for your gun.

Comment

All of a sudden I'm hungry.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by rgeorgejr View Post
        I have this drill, love it, but my bit tip broke. Couldn't find one at Home Depot or anywhere. Contacted Ridgid and was shocked to learn they are not available! How can you produce and sell a drill that requires a special-size bit and not provide the bits? Any one else had this issue?
        Ryobi (TTI), I believe is the maker of the Senco Duraspin model and their bit should work. The Ridgid model looks like it's the same and may be made under the same patent so the bits may be interchangeable. I've purchased those at HD when needed.

Comment

rgeorgejr

I bet there's a way to find out what company made the bits for Ridgid and get them that way. I really doubt it's a one of a kind. Is there any way you can post a good picture of two of what's left of the bit you need? Is there any chance someone can post some specs on the shank end of the needed bit? I'm thinking APEX or WERA or WIHA may make something that would work. There are other companies too.
          Last edited by Woussko; 07-15-2009, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
            rgeorgejr

I bet there's a way to find out what company made the bits for Ridgid and get them that way. I really doubt it's a one of a kind. Is there any way you can post a good picture of two of what's left of the bit you need? Is there any chance someone can post some specs on the shank end of the needed bit? I'm thinking APEX or WERA or WIHA may make something that would work. There are other companies too.

It is a standard bit in every way, except for the length. I tried an off-the-shelf 6" Dewalt bit, a standard phillips head. It worked fine except that it didn't drive the screws in all the way. I need a 6-1/4" bit. I tried increasing the drive-depth but it was not enough to compensate for the short bit. The Ridgid cust service actually told me to return the tool to Home Depot and exchange it for a new one, which would have a new bit.

Comment

It is a standard bit in every way, except for the length. I tried an off-the-shelf 6" Dewalt bit, a standard phillips head. It worked fine except that it didn't drive the screws in all the way. I need a 6-1/4" bit. I tried increasing the drive-depth but it was not enough to compensate for the short bit. The Ridgid cust service actually told me to return the tool to Home Depot and exchange it for a new one, which would have a new bit.
              Let's me see if I have this right. It's a 1/4" hex shank power driver bit but the 6-1/4" length is the issue. Am I correct so far? Could you use longer than 6-1/4" or must it be exact length?

If you can take a good look at the bit. Are there any letters or numbers on it? Any markings at all?

I understand about the normal max length being 6 inches. I'm thinking some company had to make the bits for your tool and we need to try to find out what company it was. I'm sure they would have some extras and might send you a few.
              Last edited by Woussko; 07-15-2009, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                Let's me see if I have this right. It's a 1/4" hex shank power driver bit but the 6-1/4" length is the issue. Am I correct so far? Could you use longer than 6-1/4" or must it be exact length?

If you can take a good look at the bit. Are there any letters or numbers on it? Any markings at all?

Yes, you are right. It's actually a round shank, hex at the base, but the Dewalt that was too short was hex-shank all the way and it spun ok. I'm not sure how a longer bit would work unless I tried it. I've not seen anything longer in local stores. No markings at all on the bit. I know that the part number is 670800093, it's just not available.

Comment

Yes, you are right. It's actually a round shank, hex at the base, but the Dewalt that was too short was hex-shank all the way and it spun ok. I'm not sure how a longer bit would work unless I tried it. I've not seen anything longer in local stores. No markings at all on the bit. I know that the part number is 670800093, it's just not available.
                  Something you might try is to send a private message to ProBrand with the part number. He may be able to help you find and get some of them. It's great that you have the part number. So far my checks only come up with 6" length bits but I have a feeling I may find something longer over time.

Comment

After I posted this topic I got the following email:

"Hi Richard,

I am a product manager for the company that manufactures RIDGID power tools. I saw your message on the RIDGID message board and would like to send you a few replacement bits for your collated screwdriver.

If you would send me an address to ship the bits too I will get them shipped immediately. Please feel free to contact me with any questions."

Soon after I responded I got a FedEx tracking number for the package. I think I finally did the right thing on this. Who knew this forum could be so useful! I've been looking for this bit for weeks!

Comment

No worries it is the same as the Senco. I have the Senco cordless, the only difference is the the Ridgid is 18v and the Senco is 14.4v. So go to HD and the the Senco bits and put that drywall up.

Comment

After I posted this topic I got the following email:

"Hi Richard,

I am a product manager for the company that manufactures RIDGID power tools. I saw your message on the RIDGID message board and would like to send you a few replacement bits for your collated screwdriver.

If you would send me an address to ship the bits too I will get them shipped immediately. Please feel free to contact me with any questions."

Soon after I responded I got a FedEx tracking number for the package. I think I finally did the right thing on this. Who knew this forum could be so useful! I've been looking for this bit for weeks!
                        Good to see and hear. The fact that the customer service rep told you to go and buy/exchange a new drill to get a new bit is a bit of a laugh - that's sort of a grey-area way to do it; not necessarily wrong, due to HD's return policies, but still a hassle nonetheless. All you want to do is pay for and buy what you broke, something that should be available for your new tool. It would be one thing if this tool was a one-of-a-kind type of design, and if it were 20 years old, or something like that. It would have been much nicer if the CS rep had done the work on their end, and helped make arrangements with you for you to order the parts.

All that said, it's nice to see you got the above message. It's nice to see that being calm and cool has helped you tremendously - that you posted and issue, and Ridgid's helping you out. That's a lot nicer than seeing someone come on here and post "Ridgid sucks", and then not do anything to help themself resolve their issue. Yes, there are replacement parts issues with Ridgid, due to some of HD's stocking policies (the tail is sort of wagging the dog right now). But, it's great to see that your issue is being promptly and courteously resolved by Ridgid. Great job by all.
                        Last edited by canucksartech; 07-15-2009, 11:11 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

It's great things worked out well for you. Lots of people to see what's on this forum even if they don't post on here.

If there's a name and return address, maybe you can send them a THANK YOU card and a message that the bits should be an easy item to order through customer service. Actually they should be stocked at Home Depot in Ridgid packaging.

Comment

I have the senco ds300 add on. Senco, Milwaukee, Makita, Ridgid ,Hitachi all use the same collation. They all use the same type bits, 2 sizes depending on the gun/screw length, and either square or Phillips drive.
                            "Quick drive "is the system that uses the smaller weird bits. I returned that system as soon as I found that the bit were expensive, did not last long, hard to find, screws cost more..
                            Both Lowe's and HD have the bits by senco, sometimes they are hanging on the ends of the vertical rails of the shelves, in plastic bags with a cardboard top. They used to carry a better selection of screws. Can not find the 3" deck screws , which are self drilling . Excellent system, and for drywall the screws may even cost less than in bulk.

Good CS by Ridgid to makeup for HD lack of proper stock.

Comment

I'm putting siding up on my house. I'm a horrible nail driver, I hit my thumb more often than the nail. Went and bought a senco screw gun but it had these bits that kept falling out, (for a little more than the R8660 it included 2 batteries). Well before I knew about the bits, I returned the Senco and went to home depot and bought the ridgid. Man it's great, best toy I've ever gotten, Christmas came early this year. That is until time to replace the square drive bit. Hey, $180 bucks for this tool and the extra bits they include are too short to use. Home Depot doesn't carry them, they carry the short Senco bits, (but they don't carry the Senco screw guns, go figure). The 6 1/4 inch bits are impossible to find. I went to a hex shank, hex shaft 6" Dewalt bit DW2262. but the hex shaft doesn't sound too hot in the machine and it has driving issues. What the heck ridgid, how can you sell a screw gun and not the bits? That's like a power tool without the cord.. It's a great gun and I was going to recommend it to the head of maintenance for my school district I teach at, but on second thought... Where can I find the bits, I'd buy a bunch. I want to keep this machine! please send replies to roberth@fremont14.k12.wy.us
                              Last edited by fasterfiat; 11-08-2009, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X