Twinstack Air Compressor OF45150 Leaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twinstack Air Compressor OF45150 Leaks

I have a new twin-stack oil-free air compressor that must have a leak. With no hoses attached it will kick on every several hours to top off the pressure. My old porter-cable compressor never kciked on unless I was using it. And since it's in the garage attached to my house, you can hear it throughout the house every time it turns on. Any thoughts on this? I'm debating whether to exchange it or take it for service. I hate to exchange it for another that does the same thing. And I certainly don't want to hear "That's normal". What do you think?

Re: Twinstack Air Compressor OF45150 Leaks

First off, it's NOT normal to leak that quickly. But, compressors have a lot of fittings, valves, etc, that if they are not all perfect, there will be leaks. That's not to say it can't be fixed, as it's a matter of just going through everything and checking to see where the leak is. The question is whether or not it's really worth while to go through whatever hassle there is to ensure that there are absolutely no leaks?

For a loss over a five hour period, I'd probably just exchange it, as long as you're still in that 90-day period. Beyond that, I think you have to recognize the unit is designed to provide air for your tools while you are working.

I have a 33-gallon Craftsman unit that will drop about 10 psi over a 24-hour period. For what it's worth, I just don't think that's a big deal. It's not like I'm providing air for anything that important or crucial. But, I should mention I don't leave it plugged in... there's simply no reason to and I don't want to be bothered having it kick on whenever the lowpoint is reached (it's too noisey and it's a waste of electricity). Even if I go back to the shop after a week and need air, it only takes a few minutes to pressure the tank.

I also have a little 2-gal Craftsman that will hold it's pressure well beyond anything I care to measure (like weeks); but again, I have no need for it to do so, as it takes less than two minutes to fully pressurize the tank.

CWS

Comment

Last night I took a spray bottle full of soapy water to it and sprayed all the fittings. The fitting where the tool-pressure guage screwed in was leaking. It took removing a panel and the gauge assembly to get it tightened, but it seems to have solved the problem. No bubbles after I put it all back together and it didn't come on at all last night.

Comment

Originally posted by rgeorgejr View Post
        Last night I took a spray bottle full of soapy water to it and sprayed all the fittings. The fitting where the tool-pressure guage screwed in was leaking. It took removing a panel and the gauge assembly to get it tightened, but it seems to have solved the problem. No bubbles after I put it all back together and it didn't come on at all last night.
        Good work and I bet you feel better now that you have it fixed.

Comment

Working...
        X