Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Wiring the Ridgid 6800 Watt Generator into my house breaker panel Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring the Ridgid 6800 Watt Generator into my house breaker panel

I just purchased a 6800 watt generator as a solution to our all-too-frequent power outages here in southern Michigan. My question is, on my 25 foot cord which plugs into the control panel on the generator, what are the 3 & 1 plug-ins for. I see where they plug into the generator, right next to the twist-loc plug, but where are they applicable when it comes to my house? Yes, I am an electrical novice and will have the work done by a professional.

Re: Wiring the Ridgid 6800 Watt Generator into my house breaker panel

You need to have a generator transfer switch installed. It is a safety device to prevent your generator from feeding power back into the grid. It is not a major project for an electrician. Do a search for generator transfer switch on the internet for more information.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

You will want to have an electrician install a load transfer switch something like this one.
      http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1033_200321033

Then you'll use a special super extension cord similar to this to connect it to your generator. Please note these come in different lengths and different ratings. You want one with a L14-30P plug on one end and a L14-30 connector on the other end. It will have a 10-4 type SOW or similar cable.
      http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1324_200221324

On your generator look for a receptacle mounted on the control panel that looks about like the one in the picture below. As for the special extension cord(s) they are for use when you are wanting to connect power tools and such to the generator but won't be used when it gets setup for home standby service.
      http://www.levitonproducts.com/catal...92114&pid=1208

Please note that a good electrician can find things at better prices so don't get too scared just yet.

Installation of any generator for standby service really needs to be done by a good licensed electrician. He/she needs to drive a grounding rod and set you up with an easy attach grounding wire for when you use your generator. Connecting it is very simple and he/she can show you what to do. You may also want to install a Power Inlet so you don't need as long of a connecting cord and/or finding you need to pass it through a window or door. A Power Inlet helps big time for safety as you can lock your place up. In addition it helps with falling over the connecting cable.

Power Inlet: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0924_200220924
      Last edited by Woussko; 07-15-2009, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unclewalt39 View Post
        I just purchased a 6800 watt generator as a solution to our all-too-frequent power outages here in southern Michigan. My question is, on my 25 foot cord which plugs into the control panel on the generator, what are the 3 & 1 plug-ins for. I see where they plug into the generator, right next to the twist-loc plug, but where are they applicable when it comes to my house? Yes, I am an electrical novice and will have the work done by a professional.
        Okay, well, my suggestion (and I'm not trying to be rude, insulting, etc.), but just rather blunt and to the point...... If you have to ask that question on a job such as this one, then call a licenced electrician, and hand him/her the keys.

Comment

Shhhhh

Don't tell anyone this, but late at night that Ridgid generator blasting away will get the neighbors to howling. If you can't get into a real packaged standby generator, then please look into a nice quiet inverter model with a sound reduction enclosure. You'll like it better too. Now I have to assume the Ridgid 6800 is something that's staying put, so I best think that way.

By the way everyone that might be interested here is a YouTube video of a nice quiet running installed fully automatic standby generator fueled with natural gas. This is good $$$ but worth it. This little beast can put out far more power so you can run central AC, well pump, sump pump, fridge, freezer and lights. Now we just have to win the LOTO or such to get the $$$ for it.

Listen to this baby purrrrrr along nice. No damn screaming 3600RPM riding mower engine here.

This video was posted by a dealer for this product. They sell and install them. It is not mine. I think I have other things that need the $$$ more than one of these, but I can dream. By the way I bet the house where it is installed would be valued at several Million $

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_nV6toRTEE
          Last edited by Woussko; 07-17-2009, 10:48 PM.

Comment

25KW system. natural gas. what would you think that would cost, with plumbing, electrical, all materials and permits? $15 to 20M installed? in a power failure, if the neighbors don't like my 6 kw "riding mower" generac portable, tied into my criticall circuits with a manual transfer switch, that's too bad. all in, i spent under $600. yea, standbys are great and convenient, but that's a not insignificant piece of change for intermitent convenience.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
              25KW system. natural gas. what would you think that would cost, with plumbing, electrical, all materials and permits? $15 to 20M installed? in a power failure, if the neighbors don't like my 6 kw "riding mower" generac portable, tied into my criticall circuits with a manual transfer switch, that's too bad. all in, i spent under $600. yea, standbys are great and convenient, but that's a not insignificant piece of change for intermitent convenience.
              I'm not sure of the cost but I think you are close. There is lots involved in installing such. I feel the same about that if you can safely use something less costly, go for it. The video is just to show that for people with the $$$ what they can have. As for the neighbors, I've found that offering to put some of their big $ food in the freezer helps them tolerate a little noise. Loaning them flashlights and batteries and they all become deaf quickly.

Comment

If you are looking for an easy way to connect your generator, look at this link to a previous thread.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ight=Generlink

Woussko does not like this method,he prefers to install a transfer switch along with the added cost of labors and materials. The Generlink is plug-n-pray. Still requires an electrician (at least in my service area according to my utility), but it's a five minute job. Pull the meter, install the Generlink, plug the meter into the Generlink. You just notify the Utility before hand and they will reseal the meter next chance they get.

I like that the Generlink allows you to power any circuit in the house. You manage this by opening/closing breakers in your breaker panel to control where power flows. If you try to use more than the rated capacity of the Generlink then it will shut down on overload. It also disconnects your home from the grid as long as power is sensed on the generator input. This keeps the grid from being backfed and potentially creating a dangerous situation for linemen working to repair damaged lines or a neighbor.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...092+4294945849

They now have a 50A model

And darn, wouldn't ya know it, it's made in America to boot!

http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm

Now here is a real plus in my book. When you move you can take it with you.
                Just unplug and re-install the electric meter.
                Last edited by Bob D.; 07-18-2009, 08:31 AM.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

looks like a great unit and concept. not permitted in NYC and surrounding con ed served communities, yet transfer switches are permitted. go figure.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
                  X