X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compressor oil

I have a 2hp 5 gallon oil-lube compressor. I've heard of some people using full synthetic 10w30 motor oil instead of the compressor oil that is supplied. Is this the way to go? or does it matter? I can't find any synthetic compressor oil around here. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Last edited by sooman; 07-20-2009, 10:20 AM.

Re: compressor oil

i use mobile one full synthetic with no problems...

Comment

I've been using Amsoil synthetic compressor oil for years in the same kind of compressor with great results. I bought mine more than ten years ago from a buddy who was a dealer and the original I put in has lasted all that time. I can't remember what I paid for it, probably wasn't cheap, all their stuff is costly but the quality is top notch! Try a Internet search?

Comment

Originally posted by MR.WRENCH View Post
        i use mobile one full synthetic with no problems...
        My Hitachi twin tank specs diesel 15w-40 synthetic. I have been using that for over 15 years, no issues. Diesel formulas have more anti foaming agents which are good in splash type lube. systems in A/C's pumps,but Mobil 1, Castrol, any major brand should be OK.

Comment

I use Castrol HD full 30-weight, semi-synthetic (or full synthetic 30 weight, but it's harder to find). Yes, a 10w version (10w30 or 10w40) is best, due to the colder operating temperature performance, but my compressor is in a warmer area, and I use the Castrol HD 30 for all of my other little 4-stroke engines (lawnmower, weedwhacker, etc.), since they're used during the hotter spring/summer/fall months anyways, and not submitted to freezing or sub-freezing temperatures.

Comment

It is really a good place where I can share my views about oil compressors. I think synthetic compressor oil is specially formulated to satisfy the lubrication needs of oil flooded rotary vane and rotary screw compressors. It can eliminate one maintenance chore in your shop.
            Vacuum Systems | Industrial Pumps |Centrifugal Pumps

Comment

Certainly "synthetics" are a boon for almost any kind of engine... internal combustion or air compression. However, with splash lubricated compressors, especially those of the reciprocating piston type, it is essential that a non-foaming oil be used. My compressor specifies a "non-detergent" oil.

I have a concern for "synthetics" only from the point of view that many people feel that it's a "forget about it" maintenance issue. Oil, whether it be in an internal combustion engine or in a compressor, does more than just lubricate. It also washes away any contaminents that are introduced through the intake. This "debris" ends up in the oil and if not filtered or changed, will over time add to the wear of the cylinder, rings, and valves. Even synthetic oil will hold these contaminents in suspension where they will continually wash back into the cylinder and running gear bearings.

The point is, any lubricant needs to be changed on occasion and they should not be used with the attitude of "change to and forget about maintenance after that".

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Working...
              X