Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will 2 shop vacs connected to a Y double sucking power?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will 2 shop vacs connected to a Y double sucking power?

Does anyone kinda know or can speculate whether (2) Rigid 16 gal. 6 h.p. shop vacs connected together with a Y connector give somewhere around twice the sucking power of the one vac (one = about 200 CFM & static pressure of 51") I would like to get more power than the one vac can deliver to suck out gutter crud and leaves from the gutter and do it from the ground , with about 24' of rigid pipe with an elbow on the end to fit into the gutter.

Re: Will 2 shop vacs connected to a Y double sucking power?

'
    This thread sucks!

Think you may end up with frequent blockages at the "y"

Dont know the answer to your question.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare
      Advice - pick one category that best fits your question - many of us use the new post feature which shows across all categories.

Thanks.
      Good advise and maybe Josh or Mark can delete the two other threads.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For cleaning out gutters where you want to use 24 feet of straight thin wall PVC pipe, you really need far more than what 2 shop vacs can deliver unless you like clogging. You'll want to use 4" pipe and you'll need a machine something like in the video. If you were to use say 2 sections of what's called 2-1/2 wands and the J bend, then you can use your shop vac to clean small stuff from gutters. Normally leaves and such will clog the tubing and/or hose big time. I've tried even some powerful industrial drum type vacuum cleaners for gutters and was frustrated at best. You really need far more air flow and suction and that takes a BIG fan and lots of power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVePs...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gitfh...eature=related
      Last edited by Woussko; 07-21-2009, 12:41 AM.

Comment

I walk along my roof and use a backpack blower to clear the gutters. I think you would have better luck blowing the debris out with a wand attachment from the ground and then cleaning whatever fell, rather than trying to vacuum.

Comment

I use my pressure washer and an 9-18' extension I bought at HD for $100.00. I rent a 'J' attachment for the extension from HD and do everything from the ground. It makes a big mess. Some sort of vaccum would be preferable but this is better than climbing a ladder, cleaning three feet of gutter, moving the ladder and on and on until the gutters are cleaned.

Comment

you would increase the cubic feet of air moved, but you would not increase it suction,

but by increasing the cubic feet you may increase it ability to vacuum
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Something people can try and I've had good results is to use a good backpack blower with extension tubing, J bend and a cone on the end. You need to start near the downspout and blow towards the other end of your gutters. You do not want to blast leaves into the downspouts. Again, it takes more air flow and power than what you'll get out of any 120 Volt vacuum cleaner motor-fan unit. When I saw "Back Pack Blower" I mean a very strong commercial one and not a Home Depot or Lowes DIY blower. There's a big difference in what a good Ashtron blower with a big 2 cycle screaming engine puts out next to even a top of the line Echo or Stihl blower and the $$$ for it is high. A top model from Echo or Stihl should work pretty well however.

Now if you have access to an engine driven air compressor like used for a big paving breaker hammer, you could really blast the gutters. Actually you might do more damage than good.

Comment

My shop vac converts to a blower, I connect 7 sections of 2ft extensions and a J to blow them out from the ground. Gets everything but the granules from the shingles and a few sticks, I live on a wooded lot and get a lot of leaves. It’s a Craftsman 16 gal wet/dry vac. Pat

Comment

Working...
                X