X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 4511 owner

Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 4511 tonight. Won't be delivered until the 23rd. I gave up trying to get a 3660. Looked in two states and no luck. Sure wish the 4511 had a CI top but I could not turn down the deal the local HD store made me. I got a returned, assembled and delivered saw for $499 with full warranty. Now I just have to set aside 100 hours to read all the posts about the saw, then spend another 100 hours making a new crosscut sled, out feed table and extension wings for it. And unload my craftsman saw on CL.

This forum has been a great resource for me looking at table saws and I am sure it will continue to be.

Thanks

Charles
    Charles

Re: New 4511 owner

Welcome to the asylum Charles. I know that you'll find the other inmates here very friendly and extremely helpful with any question you may have. Enjoy your new saw.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Chapter 2
      Well here is the continuing saga about my 4511. The one that I purchased from HD that had been returned has now been returned for a 2nd time. By me. It was delivered last Thursday and sat in the corner till Sunday when I could finally play with my new toy. On closer inspection, I discovered that the left side miter slot was chipped (had been hid by the fence and bag of stuff in the store), there were several scratches in the cabinet, a couple of the side wings had small chips where they met the center section and the dust exhaust had been bent somehow. So back it went.

I bought a new in box one. They loaded it in my truck and away I went. Got it home thinking that the saw was in pieces and I would be able to unload the crate piece by piece. Surprise, the saw body, top and motor were all one piece. After scratching my head a bit I figured that if I left it attached to the metal shipping bottom frame and clamped a 6' sheet of melamine to the bumper I could slide it off with cargo straps. It actually went very well, just had a couple of tense moments. As I was unbolting the saw from the steel shipping frame I noticed that the rear corner of the top was chipped. Called the 866 number in the manual and was told that they could not ship the center section only the wings. Called HD and talked the store manager. He really went the extra yard and since he did not have another one in stock he found one at another store near by and arranged for me to just swap mine for its top.

Chapter 3
      Went to the store that I was referred to and after a lot of confusion the store manager got called and he said no problem. Luckily I had taken all the tools to remove the top along with my handy drill. They really did not have any. (Hmm, hardware store with no store tools) After watching the employee assigned to take it off for 15 minutes they let me do it. Got it home and 4 hours later had it together.

It appears that I will need to adjust almost everything which I will start tomorrow. The blade is not square to the miter slot, my blade can not go past about 43 degrees and I have not checked the rest. Hope these go smoothly.

The assembly help post's really cleared up the "Clear as mud" manual. Had to of been written by two drunk engineers on a Friday afternoon. Keep posting all the tips for us new owners to use.

Thanks
      Charles

Comment

Update on new saw. Part 3

I have learned a ton about what I would call real table saws. I have only had the cheap aluminum top saws in the past and did not know what I was missing. First off I love this saw. It took me over 3 days to get everything calibrated to my satisfaction. (Wife calls me anal.) DaveWoods was a big help and all is good now. I am very happy my saw was not in the recall mess I have read about.

After I got it all adjusted and a brand new Freud 40T Fusion blade installed put on. The last step was to drop the guard into its slot "pushing it firmly into place. Tighten the blade guard securely." I did this even giving it a little tug up and it was tight.

Now the horror story starts. I had lowered and raised the blade to check everything and turned the saw on. I bent down and was lowering the blade when the guard fell out of the slot hitting the blade. This in turn ripped about 20 carbide teeth off of the blade and threw the guard into my face. I got the saw turned off and went into the house with my hand over my mouth trying to keep the blood off the floor. After cleaning up and settling my wife down we found out that I was very lucky. I had safety glasses on, none of the blade teeth got through my fleece and the guard hit me with the flat side of the plastic guard smashing my lips, gums and chin. No teeth lost. About as much damage as a good right cross does. I consider myself really lucky.

After I got all cleaned up I went back to the manual and the saw trying to figure what I did wrong. I knew that the spreader/guard had a locking pin but it does not tell you that you have to pull the blade guard screw out and let drop then release it and pull up so pin locks into the hole. It does tell you that you have to pull it out to release the spreader. I thought that the pin was beveled just like a door latch. Guess not. After a call to Rigid they had me take the busted up guard/spreader into the local center and they send me a new one. My wife now really hates that saw but I love it. And I now have a real cool wall clock in my shop made out of a $100 Freud Fusion blade minus a few teeth. Every time I look at the clock I now remember to make sure that the spreader is really locked.

Thanks
        Charles
        Charles

Comment

Working...
        X