X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kobalt air compressor keep running

Hi I have a kobalt air compressor (VLK1582609 or 99007) for about a year now. last time I used it, the motor kept running constantly and the pressure never went any higher then about 75/80 PSI. I removed to cover to see if anything was wrong and it seems the O ring in the air cylinder is worn, could that be the issue? it can't make enough pressure to get to 120PSI?

thanks,
    Arthur
    Last edited by Arthur123; 07-29-2009, 12:14 AM.

Re: kobalt air compressor keep running

If you can't get it to full pressure, it is quite obvious, there is a leak somewhere in the system that is not allowing it to get enough pressure to trip the switch..start checking all of those connections as well as o-rings and such.

Comment

I have a Porter Cable pancake that does this. I searched for a leak but

could not find one by sound , feel , or pouring soapy water on the

connections . I decided it must be the pressure switch .

Post a solution if you find one .

Good luck .

Comment

If there are no visible leaks then pull the head. Usually the valve plate has a buildup on the flap/port or the flap is cheap steel, has bent/broke and will no longer seal.

Comment

Arthur,

In addition to the suggestions in the previous posts, the answer is "yes"... if the piston seal rings (o-ring or otherwise) are worn, then the compressor could very well be getting "blow-by" and therefore is NOT pressuring the cylinder enough to reach the desired pressure. This is very much like the compression problem in an automobile engine.

I am surprised though that such wear would occur within such a relatively short time. A year just doesn't seem to be long enough to wear out a piston-type ring, even in a non-lubricated aluminum compressor. But perhaps I'm not clearly understanding what 0-rings you are referring to.

CWS

Comment

tnx for the suggestions. i will use soap/water to test for leaks first. can anyone tell me how a pressure valve and check valve work, could any of those be the issue?

Comment

On the line leading from the comressor/cylinder(s) itself-where it attaches to the tank there should be a check valve. If this check valve is not working properly, then the compressor will not build up pressure at all. Usually the line from the compressor to the tank will be hotter than normal also. It's usually not noticeable, it's where the steel or copper line usually attaches there with a brass hex nut. Remove the input line and you should be able to remove the check valve from the tank. Make sure it's clean and try to blow into it from eithe side. You should be able to blow through it from one side and not the other. If it is stuck, you may be able to clear it with carb or brake cleaner. If you get it unstuck, add a few drops of oil to it before replacing it. Good Luck, David

Comment

Anyone mention the possibility the tank drain plug is not closed all the way?

When I'm finished using my portable compressor I open the drain plug to eliminate any moisture build up in the tank....I have on occasion forgotten I left the drain valve open and I just hear the compressor run and run and run............

Cactus Man

Comment

Since the phone number in the kobalt manual was not working,I called Lowe's, they gave me a phone number of the manufacturer. The company which made my kobalt went bankrupt and they were taken over by this other company however the warranties were not included. Called lowe's again, they were very friendly and escalated the issue to a manager. A few hours later I got a call from my local lowes store, they told me that had set aside a similar compressor which I could pickup. I went to the store and Lowe's offered me a full store credit refund, which I used to buy a new compressor. I decided not to buy a kobalt but spent a little more and bought a Dewalt. Thanks Lowe's, that is customer service!

Comment

Good to see that it had a positive ending for you. Cooler heads prevailed.

Comment

Working...
                    X