Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18V NiCad / Li-Ion Battery Question

Hello all,

My 18V R84015 bit the dust this weekend, and unfortunately I don't have my receipt from 2003 since I have moved 4 times since then. Local authorized repair center says it will be a couple of weeks and $70 to fix it. I can't wait that long.

If I buy a drill only (no batteries or charger), it looks like my 18V NiCad X2 batteries will work with R840011, but will it work with an R86014 that is newer and designed for Li-Ion?

Thanks in Advance!

Re: 18V NiCad / Li-Ion Battery Question

All Ridgid 18 volt tools will work with NiCad or Li-Ion batts. My personal choice is this http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R86006-C...l/EN/index.htm We have several of them in our company and have been using and abusing them daily for the last two years. They are light, have great balance, very precise trigger control and good power with surprising run time with the 1.5Ah LI batts. We use them in rain, snow, heat, cold, plaster and concrete dust and all other forms of demo debris. We push them very hard and to date have had zero problems. Anyway, regardless of your choice, get that new drill and keep on working......Ray
    Last edited by roadrashray; 07-24-2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

ray, can you please tell us the name of your company?

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
        ray, can you please tell us the name of your company?
        Thanks for asking. The company is Fickeisen Carpentry, located in Moravia, NY which is a village of 1500 people in the heart of the Fingerlakes in central NY. Like many carpenters located in small villages, we do a lot of general type contracting. Moravia and much of the surrounding countryside has a large number of houses built in the 1850-1900 time frame. We are noted for having expertise in rehabing this kind of construction. In the last 10 years many people from Syracuse, Ithica, and other large cities in NYS have started moving to Moravia, Locke, Groton, Skaneateles and other small villages in this area to take advantange of the much lower housing costs, low crime, good schools, slower pace and generally quieter life style than the cities. Bringing these older houses to modern standards with emphasis on kitchens, bathrooms, closets, and supporting infrastructure provides a fairly steady work load for us.....Ray

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for all of your help!

Comment

Originally posted by engelj6 View Post
            If I buy a drill only (no batteries or charger), it looks like my 18V NiCad X2 batteries will work with R840011, but will it work with an R86014 that is newer and designed for Li-Ion?
            Yes, the newer chargers are made to be backwards-compatible with older batteries/chemistries. It usually says so in the owner's manual for the charger, and/or it also usually lists the model numbers of the batteries that it can charge, on the info plate on the bottom/base of the charger.

Comment

Working...
            X