DeWalt drill/driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeWalt drill/driver

Well, my DeWalt 998 18v hammer drill has a broken case this time. It appears the plastic thingys the screws which hold the case together screw into have broken away from the half of the case they were molded into. I have had this drill a few years and have had DeWalt do the "$99.00" total rebuild on it twice, and have been satisfied with what I got. I'm looking for something different this time. I want a new DeWalt 18v XRP drill/driver, nothing else, I've got plenty of XRP batteries and chargers, and don't need another case I don't use. I just want something to drill, with a 1/2" capacity chuck, drive screws, etc., variable speed, and has reverse. Looking through DeWalt's website is pretty confusing as they have so many different units now. So, I'll ask those I hope have a DeWalt drill/driver which unit you have and if there are any problems to be noted. Thanks for any information, David

Re: DeWalt drill/driver

Dewalt DCD950 or DCD970 (same thing) is the best 18v cordless drill ever. It drills more holes per A*h than any other 18v drill, has all-metal transmission, 3 speeds, LED light and it's a hammerdrill. You can buy the bare tool on ebay for $100 or less.

Comment

If you can deal with the $$$ go for the DCD970 series. It has some little refinements the DCD950 doesn't have. It also feels better in your hand after holding it for some time. They are both very good and either should serve you well.

One thing to ask yourself is do you want a Hammer Drill or do you want a Drill Driver? If you need to drill masonry then the Hammer Drill is for you. If you only drill wood and metals and also want to drive screws then look at a Drill Driver. If you want a Drill Driver then look at the DCD940 series.
      Last edited by Woussko; 07-26-2009, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
        If you can deal with the $$$ go for the DCD970 series. It has some little refinements the DCD950 doesn't have.
        Please elaborate? Other than ring color I thought they are identical. DCD950 only comes with NiCd batteries and DCD970 with li-ion, AFAIK that's the only difference.

Comment

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26548

Since I posted this thread, I've come to like my dewalt impact even more. Using this to drill through metal is top notch. No more binding up on me. The makita chuck goes up to 3/8 and since most big drill bits are stepped down to 3/8, this hasn't posed any problem for me at all.

BTW, my dewalt 18v hammerdrill that was smoking is still going. Every time I press the trigger, a waft of smoke comes out and I can see big sparks in the motor but it's still going. I continue to use it to see if I can catch it on fire.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
            Please elaborate? Other than ring color I thought they are identical. DCD950 only comes with NiCd batteries and DCD970 with li-ion, AFAIK that's the only difference.
            When I asked about them at the local DeWalt factory owned service center a few weeks back they claim the motor in the DCD970 has a few very minor changes based around using Li-Ion batteries. I kind of wonder about that. My bet is like you have it. I think for what he wants (just the bare tool) either should work well.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. I re-read my post and I didn't make myself very clear. I'm keeping the 998 drill/hammer drill, I want just a drill/driver also. Most of my work involves using a drill or screw driver, I do have use of the 998 drill/hammer drill and it's a good one. "gear junkie", the smoking issue was the reason I had my 998 sent in for a "rebuild" the first time. I didn't like the sparking/smoke issue so I sent it to an authorized service center. According to the papers they sent back with the unit, I got a new motor, new switch, new speed selector switch, and new chuck, all for $99.00 + tax. Not a bad deal, and it's been performing great since then. I've also had four of my batteries upgraded to the 2400 aHr (I think I got that right) type and they last so much longer now. I'll probably send the 998 in for another rebuild as the case is certainly broken. My search for just a drill/driver unit shows I can buy kits, with batteries and case, all day long. I don't need any more batteries, I have nine (9) 18v XRP batteries now and two cases gathering dust on a shelf. I'm looking for the bare drill/driver unit. One of my problems is there are no stores here that stock DeWalt units, they will order if you know the model number. I want to see it, hold it, before I buy. I'll find one yet, Thanks, David

Comment

I would recommend the Dewalt DC720 then. Ebay has them from $50-$90 bare tool. It will work with all of your current 18v batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  When I asked about them at the local DeWalt factory owned service center a few weeks back they claim the motor in the DCD970 has a few very minor changes based around using Li-Ion batteries. I kind of wonder about that. My bet is like you have it. I think for what he wants (just the bare tool) either should work well.
                  http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Prod...?partid=281806

Drills are absolutely identical, except for ring color.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                    http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Prod...?partid=281806

Drills are absolutely identical, except for ring color.
                    Makes perfect sense to me. Why change what works fine and the setup to produce another motor would be big $$$ for little if anything gained. Thanks for your follow up.

Comment

Working...
                    X