X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stripped star bit

what is the best way to remove a stripped star bit t-45 bolt from the fly wheel from a husky 55 gallon air compressor trying to get it out to replace the belt that broke?

Re: stripped star bit

I guess you mean a TORX head bolt when you say star.

One option, but a last resort if all else fails, would be to weld another onto the head of the stripped out bolt. But you better know what you are doing and make sure there is no fuel in the tank or fumes around to deal with. Otherwise, you could be the beginnings of the next thread in our jobsite safety forum.

You could also try to epoxy a TORX socket on, but let it set up for a good long time, 24 hours at least.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

You could also try a screw extractor bit (the kind used for removing stripped screws)

Comment

Originally posted by CLDS View Post
        You could also try a screw extractor bit (the kind used for removing stripped screws)
        those stripped screw removers are great, but do thet come that big? A 45 is a big screw isnt it?

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
          those stripped screw removers are great, but do thet come that big? A 45 is a big screw isnt it?
          Please take a look.
          http://www.mcmaster.com/#screw-extractors/=2xt3zb

If the threads are really stripped even with an extractor it's not going to come out. You'll need a way to pull on it and turn at the same time.

Can you grab the head (or what's left of the set screw) with little Vise-Grip pliers. If you can grab it, pull hard and rotate it. You might get it out that way. If it's a headless set screw I think you'll have to try to drill it out and then tap the flywheel for a larger size set screw if you can get it out.
          Last edited by Woussko; 07-28-2009, 05:11 AM.

Comment

The screw extractor I have used digs a conical surface into the bolt head to grab on to, then the other side of the bit grabs it and slowly allows you to reverse it out. For a really large bolt, you might be able to still get it to work if the diameter of the bolt threads is wide enough for the extractor to dig into.

Comment

I have used a drimel to cut a slot in the bolt then use a large screwdriver to remove the bolt. My large drivers have a hex section to allow a wrench to assist

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                I have used a drimel to cut a slot in the bolt then use a large screwdriver to remove the bolt. My large drivers have a hex section to allow a wrench to assist
                Get a drag link socket from Snap-On, MAC, Sears or elsewhere. This is a large heavy, straight screwdriver blade with a 3/8" or 1/2" sq drive for use on a socket wrench. Designed for automotive use but will turn a big screw or slot cut into a bolt head. You could use a grinder with a 1/8 cutoff wheel to cut the slot.

If you don't know what one looks like search google or go to Snap-On or MAC or your favorite online tool store.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

You can get them with different thickness and width blade ends. For driving and removal of old big wood screws (and so much more) I would be lost without mine.

Sears / Crapsman used to have them, but I haven't seen them in the stores for some time. If you really want some fast and want them delivered to your door via UPS you can order them from any good big tool dealer or McMaster Carr or MSC Industrial Supply. There is NO need to get totally screwed by the guy or girl in the fancy tool truck selling Mac, Matco or Snap-on tools. Armstrong, Proto and Williams are good industrial tools and won't let you down.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Woussko; 07-29-2009, 02:23 PM.

Comment

we had a situation with a bolt in a pick up bed, and broke off two drives in the bolt, My son grabbed a nut and welded it on to the bolt in the bed of the truck and put a regular wrench on it, (I am sure the heat helped), and back it right out, (since we were installing a 5 wheel hitch in box) bolt was replaced any way.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by nikita09 View Post
                      what is the best way to remove a stripped star bit t-45 bolt from the fly wheel from a husky 55 gallon air compressor trying to get it out to replace the belt that broke?
                      Just a little clarification. Is the bolt stripped or is the head stripped?

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something but why do you want or need to remove the flywheel to change the drive belt(s)? Something tells me there is more to this.

Hacksaw123 asks a very good question. If the threads are stripped turning the screw 1000 turns isn't gonna get it out.

Comment

Working...
                        X