X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 18v ni-cad batteries

Will my charger that I have for my ni-cad batteries that I bought several years ago, charge the new lithium-ion batteries? My batteries just quit and I need to get some new ones, but all I can find r the lithium ones. I really don't want to have to buy a whole new charger if I don't have to.

Re: Ridgid 18v ni-cad batteries

It is my understanding that you need a different charger for the L-ion batteries, but it will charge the Ni-cads.

Comment

Correct. The old Black NiCd chargers will not charge the Li batteries, but the green Li chatgers will do both types.

Supposedly the new Li batteries will not fit in the old NiCd chargers, but I have heard of someone who said they managed to put a Li battery in the charger ........ and somehow managed to damage it.

Comment

No offence but I have never heard of a black or green charger being produced by ridgid! But yes Rogue you will need a new charger to charge LI batteries but my recomendation is to get replacement ni-cads if at all possible. The Li batteries are troublesome at best and the performance ( atleast with my batteries ) is poor compared to the ni-cads which are truly reliable.

My 2cents

Bill

Comment

Black or green chargers???

Comment

I think he's talking "Ryobi"

Comment

The dual nicad charger WILL NOT support the new lithium ion batteries!

There is only a single charger that will support both types BUT be sure the charger has the
              lithium ion decal on it..the original older single charger as the dual charger will not support the lithium ion battery

You can find the newer charger under 50 bucks on E-bay again look at the photo closely and verify the charger will charge lithium ion batteries If you can't tell ask the seller before bidding.

This topic has been discussed many times..do a search for more comments

I as others really fault Ridgid for not providing obvious information regarding what the various models of battery chargers can support!

Cactus Man

Comment

roguewarrior- -If you are thinking of using the lithium batteries in a tool that used the Ni-Cad batteries, I don't think the lithium batteries will work with that tool. As far as replacing your batteries, and you did state "batteries", have you considered having them rebuilt? I just sent off two more of my 18 volt Ni-Cad batteries to have them rebuilt and upgraded from 1200 mAh to 2400 mAh. I have previouly had six (6) of my 18 volt batteries rebuilt by PrimeCell and all of them are still working very well. It's certainly cheaper than new batteries. Thanks, David

Comment

You can use the lithium batteries with the old tools, you just can't charge them with the old charger.

Comment

I just saw a Ridgid "black charger" item# 27958.
                    This is the 18v [only?] lithium-ion charger for the Ridgid battery powered pro-press tool.

Even the lithium-ion battery is different..It's rated at 2.2AH and looks to not have the orange
                    locking clip?????? How does it stay connected? Why 2.2AH and not just supply a 3.0AH battery?

Here I go again...Wouldn't be wonderful if this Ridgid Tool website/reflector presented the
                    "entire tool line"?!!! Go to this site's home page and try to find the 18v lithium-ion battery
                    nothing! Try finding the new small one handed 18v reciprocating saw...nothing! etc.

Again E-bay excels in Ridgid products Home Depot worthless!

Oh, amazon.com lists the Ridgid line as "Ridgid/Ryobi" For the uninformed they can misread this to think the tools are interchangeable...They are not, just made by the same Chinese slaves.

Cactus Man
                    Last edited by cactusman; 07-30-2009, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thurman View Post
                      roguewarrior- -If you are thinking of using the lithium batteries in a tool that used the Ni-Cad batteries, I don't think the lithium batteries will work with that tool. As far as replacing your batteries, and you did state "batteries", have you considered having them rebuilt? I just sent off two more of my 18 volt Ni-Cad batteries to have them rebuilt and upgraded from 1200 mAh to 2400 mAh. I have previouly had six (6) of my 18 volt batteries rebuilt by PrimeCell and all of them are still working very well. It's certainly cheaper than new batteries. Thanks, David
                      You actually can in fact use the newer lithium-ion batteries on tools that were designed for and came with the standard ni-cad batteries. The only thing that matters is that they are the same voltage (18 volts) and the same tool line-up and/or attachment mechanism.

However, like Thurman states, a battery rebuild is very effective, cost efficient, and worthwhile, whether with ni-cads, NiMH, or lithiums.

Comment

Working...
                      X