Ridgid Drill NIGHTMARE - Lithium Ion Battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid Drill NIGHTMARE - Lithium Ion Battery

Thanks for all the responses- answers to questions.

1. Bat Died 1 month after Crhistmas gift was opened.
    2. HD said at time of sale, home depot was return center and they have a service guy fixing wty. items. If it breaks- bring it back to us.. fix or replace - no problem,
    3. Lifetime card is filled out.
    4. My Brother is a single dad who lives in a rural area and it is a 1/2 day trip to HD for him. They took the unit for a week and HD returned it unfixed, another 1/2 day to pick up and find out its not repared.
    5. PA - HD service center is staffed with Mentally challenged slackers who could care less about customer service,. I spit in their general direction..
    As this is a HD exclusive brand, they should service as Sears does hasslefree with Craftsman. Take it to the store and they fix or replace.

The only service center in his area does not answer the phone. aaaaso why waste the time he does not have, I will get the thing fixed if I have to go to evry center in N FL.

I still have the drill in FL and will return to an orfice - ready return facility when I have 1/2 day to kill. Or I can toss it on the ground and wizz on the battery and hope the resulting charge will bring some good feelings to this experience... but oooh, that won't happen because the battery is dead....
    Last edited by Oakind; 08-03-2009, 11:27 PM.

Comment

It's not an "HD exclusive" brand.

But don't let that stop you. Your meltdown is pretty entertaining.

Comment

Oakind,

OK... after reading you points I'm now a bit more understanding of your frustrations. So, the question is where do we go from here. Your initial post was quite negative and obviously most of that came from false information that you were told by Home Depot and of course the failure of your tool and some rather negative experiences in your search for a remedy. And... when you came here to this forum with all that anger, you got shot at by quite a few of us, who are perhaps a bit more experienced and somewhat happy with our Ridgid tools.

So let's step back a minute and see if we can clarify a few things and get you on the path to get your tool fixed. Of course if you don't want to go there, that's your choice... but one thing you should learn, is that you get a lot more help when you calm down, and sincerely state your problem (without the anger and frustration) and ask for some direction.

First, let me state that I too have been told the Home Depot is the center of the universe and that they own everybody, and that "Ridgid is Orange and that proves that they're part of Home Depot", and "We (Home Depot), guarantee all the tools we sell for life and all you ever have to do is bring it back here and we'll fix it or give you a brand new tool... forever, honest to God, guaranteed!!!!"

Oakind... all of that is bullsh!t, plain and simple! More than a few Home Depot employees believe that crap and what you really have to do ask for that in writing... and then confirm such ridiculous stories with the Service Desk and ask for a printed Home Depot policy statement. Asking for a written policy statement usually brings about the truth in a big hurry. If it isn't written on an official document, then it's NOT TRUE.

So understand, you aren't the only one to get caught with these outright lies and it's nothing personal. There's a lot of stupid people in the world and some of them work at Home Depot.

Now that you understand that, your next step is to find an authorized service center that will help you. You can call Ridgid Customer service, in a friendly manner, ask for assistance, ask to have your Limited Lifetime Service Agreement confirmed (if you're beyond the 3-year warranty), and ask for a name and address for a service center. Before you hang up, also get a name and number to call in case you have a bad experience with the service center and also get that center's phone number.

Then, call that service center and tell them about your tool and what you need to send them and how long will it take them to service the tool and return it to you.

Now, you mention having to take a half day off to drive to the service center. Well my friend, there's better ways to do that! I presume you have a job and a half day will cost you wages, gas, and mileage. You could simply take it to UPS or even the post office and have it shipped or mailed for a lot less money. The service center will ship it back to you without charge.

Things do not have to be complicated or frustrating. Life's too darn short. Just don't get angry and you'll see how much better things flow for you.

I hope this helps and good luck,

CWS

Comment

Am I understanding this right, it broke after 30 days, why didnt you just have them replace it, that is your right.

Comment

Okay, I know we try to be helpful on here, but I just can't shut up on this one, especially due to the "outrage" that this poor woe-is-me customer is having....

Originally posted by Oakind View Post
            1. Bat Died 1 month after Crhistmas gift was opened.
            So....why wasn't it returned and exchanged at that point? And/or, why wasn't it presented at a service center for service/repair/replacement then? Why are you still complaining about it at this point?

2. HD said at time of sale, home depot was return center and they have a service guy fixing wty. items. If it breaks- bring it back to us.. fix or replace - no problem
            Come on. It appears that you've been a member on here since 2004. I'm presuming then that you've read enough on here, or that you're smart enough to read the actual signage in HD and the warranty paperwork from Ridgid, to know that this isn't the case. Okay, I'll cut you some slack on this one - maybe if you didn't research this or know that this was an out-and-out lie on the part of the HD apron. But this is HD's bad point here - how is that Ridgid's fault? They can't directly monitor everything than an HD rep tells you, same as neither can Milwaukee, DeWalt, Bosch, etc.

3. Lifetime card is filled out.
            Good to hear. You still should be within the 3-year warranty of your tool, but having the LLSA is the benefit of these tools. This is the one positive statement that I see from your post.

4. My Brother is a single dad who lives in a rural area and it is a 1/2 day trip to HD for him. They took the unit for a week and HD returned it unfixed, another 1/2 day to pick up and find out its not repared.
            5. PA - HD service center is staffed with Mentally challenged slackers who could care less about customer service,. I spit in their general direction..
            As this is a HD exclusive brand, they should service as Sears does hasslefree with Craftsman. Take it to the store and they fix or replace.

The only service center in his area does not answer the phone. aaaaso why waste the time he does not have, I will get the thing fixed if I have to go to evry center in N FL.
            Again...how is this Ridgid's fault? It seems to me that some of your frustration is upon things that neither Ridgid did nor can fix. So, your brother lives in an underserviced area, more rural than most, and the service centers there generally suck - okay...so?? Like CWSmith has stated, which is an excellent point, if you or your brother don't want to waste a 1/2 day's driving, then ship the item. And/or, be sure to call the HD/service center first, and speak to someone, and get confirmation details, names, etc., before driving.

Also, the one thing that you state really burns my chaps when I see or hear people write or say - "As this is a HD exclusive brand, they should service as Sears does hasslefree with Craftsman. Take it to the store and they fix or replace." Well my friend, the big issue here is that all the "they should['s]..." in the world makes not one iota of difference - quite simply, they currently don't, so quit complaining that they should. If you don't like that the policies aren't what you would prefer, then don't buy the damn product. Why buy the product, and read the fine print to get all the nitty gritty details, but then complain and moan about them not being to your standards afterwards?! Okay, so Sears does that with Craftsman - fine. Well, HD doesn't do that with any tool line, let alone Ridgid, but here you are, complaining to Ridgid and that you aren't going to buy any more Ridgid tools in the future because of this. There is already a HUGE and generous 90-day satisfaction window at the start of things, where you can bring anything back to HD to exchange/replace/get a refund. But here you are, a year plus later, complaining about your/your brother's inaction on this.

I still have the drill in FL and will return to an orfice - ready return facility when I have 1/2 day to kill. Or I can toss it on the ground and wizz on the battery and hope the resulting charge will bring some good feelings to this experience... but oooh, that won't happen because the battery is dead....
            Good luck with this.

Again, I know the point on here is to be helpful and work in giving ideas/feedback to each other. But based on your posts in this thread on this issue, it seems like what we've seen multiple times before - someone yelling and moaning just to be heard; someone that thinks if they make a big enough stink, that things will be corrected, things which they themselves didn't bother to follow the correct course(s) of action to get a proper resolution in the first place; somone that didn't put in the effort of doing their own research to make sure that things were what they wanted in the first place.

Hey, we've all been the victim, whether with service with one of our Ridgid tools or not, of a situation where things didn't go as planned/promised/hoped for. But if you yourself (and/or your brother, also) don't follow things correctly, how are we to have sympathy for your situation, especially when you come on here and start blowing the trumpets to your cause when there isn't a need or grounds to do so? All of my sympathy for this went out the window with your two posts.

At this point, my helpful comment is that unless you change your tone and approach, I would suggest for you to take your righteous indignation and shove it in your own orifice.

Comment

I think I scared him away. I'm sorry; I try to play nice, but sometimes I just forget to take my meds, and then KAPOW!!!!

Comment

yeah, the rest of us were nice until you showed up

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                  yeah, the rest of us were nice until you showed up
                  Sure, sure.

Comment

I agree. The store where you bought the stuff does not usually service what you buy. I bought a Makita drill and impact combo and one of the batteries died after only a few uses (so Ridgid is not the only company capable of creating tools with defects) and tried to return it to HD with my proof of purchase. No go, went to an authorized service center in town and they are currently ordering me a new battery. Had a Black and Decker string trimmer feed lever break on me this week, still within the two year warranty, went back to Canadian tire where I bought it with the date code and registration papers, they would not do anything. Called the service center in Edmonton and they talked me through how to remove the old lever on the phone and sent me a new one in the mail free of charge after I gave them the date code. Guy even said he hated dealing with Canadian tire. I did not even have to prove I paid for it. It doesn't really matter what brand you buy, all products crap out every once and a while, but what it really comes down to is how careful you are as a person when you make these kind of investments. I for one try to stick to Makita and Milwaukee because my town has a center that services both. I also keep all of my receipts from now on. If I find a Ridgid service center here I will buy their power tools as well. I have no problems buying their hand tools as I have bought plenty and they have performed great for years. I even found an aluminum pipe wrench when walking my dog that a city maintenance worker dropped in the snow when fixing wooden cribbing near a power line, and it works great. All in all, just because home depot offers terrible service on their stuff does not mean they are not a good company. My skilsaw got recalled and I've been waiting over a year for them to send me the stuff to send it to Edmonton to fix it. I've had problems with Ryobi and other companies too. Next time you buy their tools, do you research, keep your bills and find a service center for warranty or repair work, that is, if you ever buy their tools again. I agree with canucksaretech, spend more time trying to get the bloody thing fixed and less time kicking up a huge stink like a kindergardener having a tantrum. Nuff said!
                    -Mark
                    Last edited by Marklar89; 08-10-2009, 08:35 PM.

Comment

UPDATE: I finally got a replacement battery from an authorized service center yesterday and I can send the drill back to my Brother in PA. They were a breeze to deal with.

I wish I knew this service center existed a few weeks ago, it is only 3 blocks from a HD that I stopped in at the beginning of the ordeal. lol

The Ridgid authorised service center was great to deal with.

My frustration lies mostly (98%) with Home Depot for swearing that the tools can be dropped off in store for repair. ANd Batteries can be replaced in store. Each store has a different story when you speak with someone in the tool centers. But they all swear upside down and sideways that HD is the center of the universe.

My Bro dropped it off in the HD in his area for repair, filled out all the repair forms, and was called about a week later saying to come pick up the drill as the store repair guy does not fix Ridgid tools. go figure.

Ridgid gave me a service center to call locally, Jacksonville, FL, but it was 20 miles away as the crow flies, and I needed to cross a river, which means about a 45 min drive each way. and then wait 2-6 weeks. Not the same on I finally went to.

The last HD I was in, I spoke to a guy who knew the product. He gave me a service center that was on the other side of town in an industrial district, but was large and well stocked. They had the battery in stock and swapped it out no problem.

If my brother had to get the repair done, no doubt he would of had to FedEx the drill to some center as the only 1 in his area does not answer the telephone. He doesn't have the time to waste. So I figured, I bought it for him, I'll take care of the issue.

Battery replaced.

Ridgid- you should educate your Home Depot reps as how to service the failed tools. No reason for all the different versions from each store.

Hey Canuck, if you don't like my rant - Take Off. The only thing good from Canada are the "Trailer Park Boys" and Rush ohh, and Bob & Doug McKenzie. Go pack ice. LOL
                      Last edited by Oakind; 08-21-2009, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Ridgid- you should educate your Home Depot reps as how to service the failed tools. No reason for all the different versions from each store.

Hey Canuck, if you don't like my rant - Take Off. The only thing good from Canada are the "Trailer Park Boys" and Rush ohh, and Bob & Doug McKenzie. Go pack ice. LOL
                        We're all sort of past the point of caring right now.

Comment

YUP, I too have been screwed by Rigid Tools customer Service on a very expensive drill. The darn thing broke, I can't find receipt and now they are giving me static on fixing the thing after I shipped it to a "repair center" almost 30 miles away. Non of the repair centers are near me, the most heavily populated county in Vermont and they don't have a repair center near by???

Ridgid- Your service and warranty coverage stinks big time.

I am a big Ridgid tool owner an live in FL, and decided to buy my brother (In Pennsylvania) a cordless drill for Christmas 2007. So I got him this drill from Home Depot and had Santa deliver it to him.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R86006-C...l/EN/index.htm

It has been broken for more than a year now- even though it has a lifetime warranty.

Well, he used it twice and is didn't work for the 2nd use. He took it to Home Depot in PA twice before they finally said that the repair guy who services their store didn't fix Ridgid, and gave him a number for the closest service center (30 miles away). The service center never answers the phone, repeatedly.

He gave me the drill when I was in for a visit, I took it back to FL and I swapped around batteries - and found the drill and charger are fine, the battery is no good. I went to 1 HD in my area, they would swap the battery, but have none in stock. They sent me to another HD 20 miles away who have the stock, but the HD would not swap it out as the "battery code" being more than 2 years old. I needed to call the service.

There were a few more Home Depot trips involved, but not draw out the experience.

I called Ridgid, who wouldn't help me out -other than give me the nearest service center (20 Miles away). I called them and explained that the battery was no good, but they required the drill, charger and battery to be brought in for service together.
                          But they don't stock batteries- it would be 2-6 weeks for them to order one in.

All I can say is Screw - U.
                          I will never buy any more Ridgid product - and you can shove this drill in the orifice of your choice.

Respectfully,
                          Carl

Comment

It amazes me that people complain when there is a service center, with in 30 miles, of there place,

try 135 to 175 miles, to to get to one, (yes once I get that magical 130 miles, there is a number of them to choose from, with in the next 40 or so miles.
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I too purchased the R86006 Drill with the two Lithium batteries a while back and I was sure to register the product for the lifetime warranty. Im posting in this thread to find out if my problem is an isolated incident or a widespread issue.

About every 4-5 months of regular use the batteries will become completely useless (meaning they will not hold much of a charge and barely turn the chuck on the drill) unless i put the batteries in my ridgid flashlight (it will provide hours of light). To remedy my problem I take my drill, charger, and both batteries to my local HD and pay a refundable deposit to have them sent out for examination/repair at the nearest service center, and they always come back with two brand new batteries and i go on with my life.

Im thankful for the warranty, but it just doesnt seem right that the batteries only last a short time before they completely crap out. i know its not the drill because if i pop in a friends battery the drill runs like new, and the replacement batteries always work wonderfully... for a while. if anyone can provide feedback on this issue it would be much appreciated. ill be taking the drill in later this week to be serviced (aka new batteries) for the 5th ish time since i purchased it.

thanks again in advance

edit: it turns out theres an entire thread on this issue and sorry for posting here when i should have looked a little while longer. still though if anyone has additional information or comments about this issue id be interested to see how others feel about this problem.
                              Last edited by Hart; 12-28-2010, 09:07 PM. Reason: oops!

Comment

Originally posted by bomvtv View Post
                                YUP, I too have been screwed by Rigid Tools customer Service on a very expensive drill. The darn thing broke, I can't find receipt and now they are giving me static on fixing the thing after I shipped it to a "repair center" almost 30 miles away. Non of the repair centers are near me, the most heavily populated county in Vermont and they don't have a repair center near by???
                                Bomvtv......May I call you by your first name. I have a simple suggestion. Take a look around your house and pick almost anything you own, break it, and take it to a repair dealer and ask them to fix it without proof of purchase. Guess what the answer will be? Yep, we both know, don't we buddy. When you purchased your expensive drill, there were a bunch of papers in the box. Among those papers was a simple form for you to fill out and mail to Ridgid in order to qualify for the Lifetime Service Agreement. Doing that would have gotten your expensive drill fixed for "life". I know you are probably a very busy guy and couldn't be bothered with doing that stuff. Unfortunately you are also to busy to keep track of your receipts and now you are probably SOL. Please go cry somewhere else, because we all know that "you screwed your self". Happy new year....Ray

Comment

Working...
                                X