X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Drill NIGHTMARE - Lithium Ion Battery

Ridgid- Your service and warranty coverage stinks big time.

I am a big Ridgid tool owner an live in FL, and decided to buy my brother (In Pennsylvania) a cordless drill for Christmas 2007. So I got him this drill from Home Depot and had Santa deliver it to him.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R86006-C...l/EN/index.htm

It has been broken for more than a year now- even though it has a lifetime warranty.

Well, he used it twice and is didn't work for the 2nd use. He took it to Home Depot in PA twice before they finally said that the repair guy who services their store didn't fix Ridgid, and gave him a number for the closest service center (30 miles away). The service center never answers the phone, repeatedly.

He gave me the drill when I was in for a visit, I took it back to FL and I swapped around batteries - and found the drill and charger are fine, the battery is no good. I went to 1 HD in my area, they would swap the battery, but have none in stock. They sent me to another HD 20 miles away who have the stock, but the HD would not swap it out as the "battery code" being more than 2 years old. I needed to call the service.

There were a few more Home Depot trips involved, but not draw out the experience.

I called Ridgid, who wouldn't help me out -other than give me the nearest service center (20 Miles away). I called them and explained that the battery was no good, but they required the drill, charger and battery to be brought in for service together.
    But they don't stock batteries- it would be 2-6 weeks for them to order one in.

All I can say is Screw - U.
    I will never buy any more Ridgid product - and you can shove this drill in the orifice of your choice.

Respectfully,
    Carl

Re: Ridgid Drill NIGHTMARE - Lithium Ion Battery

It almost always sucks when you need to send a tool in for service. It sounds like you hit the unlucky lottery and got a bad battery. It happens. Send it in for service and wait. For any tool that is critical to your work, you have to have a back-up standing by. They will all break down some time. I don't own any Rigid tools, but I think they're as good as any of the major brands.

Comment

well, at least this wasn't his first post.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Oakind View Post
        I will never buy any more Ridgid product - and you can shove this drill in the orifice of your choice.

Respectfully,
        Carl
        Well, at least he ended it with, "...Respectfully..." Especially after exclaiming that you could shove it wherever.

Always the best way to obtain a positive result.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
          well, at least this wasn't his first post.

Comment

Originally posted by Oakind View Post
            Ridgid- Your service and warranty coverage stinks big time.

I am a big Ridgid tool owner an live in FL, and decided to buy my brother (In Pennsylvania) a cordless drill for Christmas 2007. So I got him this drill from Home Depot and had Santa deliver it to him.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R86006-C...l/EN/index.htm

It has been broken for more than a year now- even though it has a lifetime warranty.

Well, he used it twice and is didn't work for the 2nd use. He took it to Home Depot in PA twice before they finally said that the repair guy who services their store didn't fix Ridgid, and gave him a number for the closest service center (30 miles away). The service center never answers the phone, repeatedly.

He gave me the drill when I was in for a visit, I took it back to FL and I swapped around batteries - and found the drill and charger are fine, the battery is no good. I went to 1 HD in my area, they would swap the battery, but have none in stock. They sent me to another HD 20 miles away who have the stock, but the HD would not swap it out as the "battery code" being more than 2 years old. I needed to call the service.

There were a few more Home Depot trips involved, but not draw out the experience.

I called Ridgid, who wouldn't help me out -other than give me the nearest service center (20 Miles away). I called them and explained that the battery was no good, but they required the drill, charger and battery to be brought in for service together.
            But they don't stock batteries- it would be 2-6 weeks for them to order one in.

Respectfully,
            Carl
            You can lead them to water......
            Dear Carl,
            For the one millionth time. Home Depot is a store that sells many brands of tools and services none! They are not a service center for Ridgid, they are not a service center for Milwaukee, they are not a service center for DeWalt, they are not a service center for Makita. Stop whipping that horse. It has no legs. Other than the HD's attempt to mollify a hysterical customer HD has no system in place for replacing bad batteries.
            As for your complaints about no help from service centers or Ridgid customer service, you are starting to sound like one of those guys. If you or your brother filled out the LSA paperwork and registered the tool or if you still have proof of purchase, you can send the entire set back to Ridgid at their headquarters in South Carolina or wherever and they will fix or replace it.
            In closing I suggest you purchase any brand of cordless tool from anywhere and then a year and a half later try to get them to give you a new battery. I would be willing to bet good money on that outcome. You'd be looking for another orifice.
            To go all the way back to the beginning of this sad tale, had your brother taken the entire set back to HD when he first experienced the problem, if it was within 90 days, he could have swapped it out for a new one.
            You need to grow up and accept the responsibility for obviously not reading the terms and conditions of the original purchase from HD and the subsequent process under the LSA. Ranting about what a BIG Ridgid user you are and trying to throw your weight around to force something after sitting on your butt for a year and a half makes you look silly and infantile.....Ray

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
              You can lead them to water......
              Dear Carl,
              For the one millionth time. Home Depot is a store that sells many brands of tools and services none! They are not a service center for Ridgid, they are not a service center for Milwaukee, they are not a service center for DeWalt, they are not a service center for Makita. Stop whipping that horse. It has no legs. Other than the HD's attempt to mollify a hysterical customer HD has no system in place for replacing bad batteries.
              As for your complaints about no help from service centers or Ridgid customer service, you are starting to sound like one of those guys. If you or your brother filled out the LSA paperwork and registered the tool or if you still have proof of purchase, you can send the entire set back to Ridgid at their headquarters in South Carolina or wherever and they will fix or replace it.
              In closing I suggest you purchase any brand of cordless tool from anywhere and then a year and a half later try to get them to give you a new battery. I would be willing to bet good money on that outcome. You'd be looking for another orifice.
              To go all the way back to the beginning of this sad tale, had your brother taken the entire set back to HD when he first experienced the problem, if it was within 90 days, he could have swapped it out for a new one.
              You need to grow up and accept the responsibility for obviously not reading the terms and conditions of the original purchase from HD and the subsequent process under the LSA. Ranting about what a BIG Ridgid user you are and trying to throw your weight around to force something after sitting on your butt for a year and a half makes you look silly and infantile.....Ray
              I don't always agree, but well said.

Comment

Carl,

Let me add this... You are NOT the first person to have a rather skewed view of Ridgid's service, and I'm sorry that you won't be the last. While I understand your frustration, I think that you really need to understand that the failure you are ranting about is for the most part, a failure of understanding the responsibility of the purchaser.

First off, the Ridgid warranty is for three years. It is NOT Home Depot's warranty and they have absolutely nothing to do with getting service, repair, or replacement of any component. Unfortunately, you have met a few of the, all too many, orange aprons who have no understanding or knowledge of Home Depot's policies or the fact that they are not part of the Ridgid brand.

Second, Ridgid does offer a "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" that covers batteries, chargers, motors, bearings, etc., etc. for the lifetime of ownership. BUT, you have to register the product with Ridgid in order to have that service. It is fully explained in the product information that you received with you purchase and it is also posted here on the Ridgid website. If you don't register the tool, you DON'T get the service agreement.... plain and simple.

Third, Ridgid authorized service centers are independantly owned. They may be strategically located and well-staffed or (from my own experience) they may be rather isolated, one-man operations. In either case, their dependability is not necessarily dependant on their size or organization. Some parts may be stocked (like batteries), but they may well have to order any parts that are needed. In no case will you be able to call them up and have them simply send you a replacement! With batteries, they need everything... the tool, the battery, and the charger!

Last, but NOT least... any kind of repair or replacement may take time and by that, I mean weeks. Like most things these days, they are NOT made locally or even in this country. We live in a global society. The point is you should never be dependant on a single tool of any type. If you fail to have a backup, that's your problem, not the product's manufacturer. In such cases where your livelihood is dependant on a tool, Home Depot will gladly sell you an "exchange policy" that will put a replacement tool in your hands almost immediately. It costs you though and again, you must understand that this policy is totally Home Depot's and I believe it is available for any brand tool sold by them. Perhaps you need to ask them about that.

SO, in conclusion you need to understand that your frustration has more to do with your misunderstanding of what you refer to as "warranty" and what your responsibility is under either the "warranty" or the "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" (LLSA). In the case of the 3-year warranty, you must have the sales receipt and you must take the tool to a Ridgid-authorized Service Center (which is what you learned when you called Ridgid). To have the LLSA, you must register the tool within the time period after your purchase, and when service is needed, you must again take the tool to an authorized service center, and have your ownership and registration verified to qualify for service. Home Depot is NOT the place for any of this.

I hope this helps clarify your misunderstanding and that you are able to gain satisfaction through the proper channels,

CWS

Comment

Carl,

How long was it since the purchase date until the tool actually did fail? Did you keep or give your brother the sales receipt?

Comment

So this has been going on for 2 years! How long have the Ridgid Li-ion tools been out?
                    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
                      So this has been going on for 2 years! How long have the Ridgid Li-ion tools been out?
                      I do believe it came out right then.

Comment

I must admit that the service center finder on this site needs some work and Ridgid could do with some fat trimming in some of the centers they use. I had a tool in for repair this winter and it went perfectly once I found a center that still serviced Ridgid tools. I called a few from the list on this website before I found one that that still serviced the tools, I also just checked and the centers that no longer service Ridgid are still listed on this site.

The confusing part about our valued members ordeal is that the drill has been 'broken' for over a year but he is still upset when he finds a service center that is willing to fix it. I was told 1 week for mine but I think it was done in two days (there is a post about it if anyone cares to look). Any good tools center will ensure they set your expectations at a point that they are certain they can meet. I don't think 2 to 6 weeks is unreasonable for service if they have to order a part, certainly better than 1 year.

Comment

FYI: looking back at old forum threads, it looks as though the first Ridgid Li batteries hit the market somewhere around June/July 2006. Three years ago. That's much earlier than I expected to find.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                            The confusing part about our valued members ordeal is that the drill has been 'broken' for over a year but he is still upset when he finds a service center that is willing to fix it.
                            Exactly.

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                            I was told 1 week for mine but I think it was done in two days (there is a post about it if anyone cares to look). Any good tools center will ensure they set your expectations at a point that they are certain they can meet. I don't think 2 to 6 weeks is unreasonable for service if they have to order a part, certainly better than 1 year.
                            Here here.

Comment

Originally posted by Calder View Post
                              FYI: looking back at old forum threads, it looks as though the first Ridgid Li batteries hit the market somewhere around June/July 2006. Three years ago. That's much earlier than I expected to find.
                              Yes, that might be true. Thanks. I'm thinking of up on this side of the border, and in general full availability.

Comment

Working...
                              X