X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Home Depot's return policy

Ok so I made the big purchase back a few months ago and bought $1000 worth of tools, mostly Ridgid for $700. Like them all with one exception.
    the quarter sheet Ridgid sander is a POS. Well I was in Home Depot tonight and I asked if I could return it for either a trade or refund. The kid in the tool department said it is HD policy not to accept returns unless they are in new condition. So how in the heck are you able to tell if a tool is any good without using it? Can someone explain the logic behind this policy?

Re: Question about Home Depot's return policy

Avoid the drones..go directly to a store manager..do not pass go, do not collect $200.00

Seriously take your receipt directly to a manager at the contractor's desk....If the tool is less than 90 days old you should get satisfaction.

Cactus Man

Comment

Both Ridgid and Home Depot have a 90-day return policy, so hopefully your "few months" falls within that time period. (I should mention the 90-day return policies run consecutively.

In the case of a Ridgid tool, there is a 90-day "satisfaction" return policy. So, like the quarter-sheet sander, if you aren't satisfied, just stick it back in the box and bring it back to the returns desk with your receipt. There should be no problem or serious questioning about your reasons. In such cases, I believe the product is returned to TTI (the manufacturer) where it is reconditioned and sold through other channels.

If it isn't a Ridgid product, Home Depot still has a 90-day return policy. But that's a little more complicated, as I understand it. The product must be packed in the original packaging, with all the packing material, and it must be in "unused" condition. Now, that may well be a matter of interpretation, but from my point of view: of course you're going to try it out... but it better look like new and not be dirty, chipped, or showing any tale-tale clues of wear and tear. (Personally, I think they want to put it back on the shelf and sell it to another customer... but of course, I don't know that as being true!)

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Its also been my experience that its VERY store-dependent.

I had trouble returning an open, slightly used Ridgid tool at the HD I bought it from ("we make our own policy", "it doesnt matter what it says on the receipt", etc), but another local HD had zero (as in "no questions asked we'll take it back") problem taking the same tool back.

Needless to say I stopped shopping at the original HD.

Comment

I think one of the problems with Home Depot, is that there's too much of this attitude of "we make our own policy".

I've heard so much garbage from Home Depot employees that's it's become rather refreshing when you find one that is honest and easy to work with. They are there, but much too hard to find and like too many companies we see today, the sh!t seems to float to the top.

I've found this "we make our own policy" quite offensive... I don't hesitate a second to get the guys name and then ask the Atlanta office if that's their policy!

CWS

Comment

I ran into an issue at one Home Depot where an item which was in a sealed box and never opened couldn't be returned after only 2 days. I had the receipt and all. They just gave me a boatload of &^%$# at the customer service counter. I took everything and left. Then I took it to a totally different Home Depot and there weren't any problems. It's WHO you happen to get and whether this person as a real *&^%$ type. I did call up the home office and after about 1/2 hour of menu land hell finally got someone that did listen. She told me that they know there are some real &^%$# at the customer service desk of some locations. When they find replacements the problems should leave. Why did they get hired? Were they ever trained at all?

By the way Lowes is guilty of the same things.

Comment

If I'm in a position where I know I'm in the right, and not just think I'm in the right, and a clerk gives me a hard time about something or other I just start talking in a voice that can be heard a couple of isles away. It's amazing how fast they come around when everyone within earshot can hear how unreasonable they're being.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Well I cleaned up the Ridgid sander, put it back in the original box with all the original packing and other materials and took it back to the service desk and we made a swap for the Dewalt 1/4 sheet sander. I told them I had tried it out and didn't like it ( too much vibration). They were ok with that, they didn't even open the box, so I have to say it was a good experience after all and it was within the 90 day window. Unfortunately someone else will probably be buying a slightly used sander with vibration issues down the road. I just know it won't be me. Don't know if that problem is indicative of all Ridgid 1/4 sheet sanders, probably will never know. Thanks to all for your imput.

Comment

Same thing I do Dave, draw attention from other workers and customers and they change thier tune!
                  info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                    I think one of the problems with Home Depot, is that there's too much of this attitude of "we make our own policy".

I've heard so much garbage from Home Depot employees that's it's become rather refreshing when you find one that is honest and easy to work with. They are there, but much too hard to find and like too many companies we see today, the sh!t seems to float to the top.

I've found this "we make our own policy" quite offensive... I don't hesitate a second to get the guys name and then ask the Atlanta office if that's their policy!

CWS
                    Unfortunately Atlanta was of no help for me either!! I called them, they "spoke to" the store manager and said the manager would get back to me. Surprise he never did (and Im pretty sure I know what the answer would be anyway).....instead of calling Atlanta again I just used a different store.

Im sure what I spend at the original HD wont be missed, but its my "fighting the power" that causes me to drive 9 miles out of my way.

Comment

I had a situation where I had the tool for only three weeks, then wanted to return it (totally unused). I had the receipt and original packaging BUT I had already cut out the UPC to send away for the LSA. I was told at the HD that it wouldnt have been a problem returning it except for the UPC being cut out (cause then they couldn't put it back on the shelf and resell it to someone else as they wouldnt have the UPC to send away). The tool department manager did tell me to call Ridgid and explain the situation and they would send me a letter approving the return at which time I would present the tool, receipt and letter to my HD and they would honor the return...Anybody ever hear of this, or been through it?? My HD has never been a problem with returns.
                      s'spose I shouldnt be in such a rush to get the LSA!

Comment

Originally posted by sooman View Post
                        I had a situation where I had the tool for only three weeks, then wanted to return it (totally unused). I had the receipt and original packaging BUT I had already cut out the UPC to send away for the LSA. I was told at the HD that it wouldnt have been a problem returning it except for the UPC being cut out (cause then they couldn't put it back on the shelf and resell it to someone else as they wouldnt have the UPC to send away). The tool department manager did tell me to call Ridgid and explain the situation and they would send me a letter approving the return at which time I would present the tool, receipt and letter to my HD and they would honor the return...Anybody ever hear of this, or been through it?? My HD has never been a problem with returns.
                        s'spose I shouldnt be in such a rush to get the LSA!
                        I have returned Ridgid items a couple of times after cutting out the UPC code on the box and had no problem. One time I was asked about the missing UPC and when I told them it was cut out and sent in for the LSA as per Ridgid instructions, they said OK and that was the end. I would go back to the store and ask for a manager or go to another HD. Good Luck and let us know how you make out...Ray

Comment

Thanks Ray....I emailed Ridgid and they said they don't send letters out and that any item can be returned before 90 days in the box or not as long as you have the receipt. SO I went back to my HD today and showed them my receipt and the Ridgid customer service email I printed out. Of course, the item was accepted and returned for full refund...

Comment

Working...
                          X