Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Opinions on portable power sanders?

Wathman,

You stated, "My next big project will likely be a freestanding shelving unit, so there will be plenty of corners to deal with. Just based on that, I'd probably fare better with a 1/4 sheet sander."

If I am interpreting that correctly (probably not ), I think you're considering the 1/4 sheet sander as a good tool for fitting into corners. Please excuse me if I'm wrong in the presumption.

The big advantage, IMO, of a 1/4 sheet is simply the versatility and low expense of using regular sand paper or other abrasives like those 3M synthetic pads. Almost anything can be clamped, provided the material is not to thick and certainly sheet-style sandpaper is relatively low cost and in greater variety than what I've seen in sanding discs and other formats.

Quarter-sheet sanders really don't do inside "corners" all that well. They don't fit into the corner well enough and they'll do a lot of chattering against the back and sides of a shelf unit. Certainly, they are better than a disc, which doesn't come close; but for inside corners, you want something with a more pointed tip, like a Ryobi Corner Cat or B&D Mouse (I mention those, only because they are the first to come to mind and I don't know the P-C, DeWalt, or other brand offerings).

But that said, I do just about all of my sanding before assembly, with only a little touchup afterwards. That way you don't need a sander to really "fit" anything.

So I'm probably wrong in my assumptions of your last post, but I thought I should follow up with a couple of points.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I know this is an old post but this is worth bringing back up for those looking for an orbital sander.
      I did alot of research a few weeks back and it came down to a decision between the Ridged and the Milwaukee. The 5" round variable speed was my first priority, 7,000-12,000 opm.
      The 3 amp also was a factor. DeWalt lost with me. It was either the Rigid or the Milwaukee. The reviews and specs I read on line and received from friends sold me on the Milwaukee. This is what I bought.
      I strongly believe after using it, this is simply the best for the money. (I had to replace a downed ryobi).
      Yes as CWS said you still need a pointed sander for inside corners or do it by hand.
      http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...rbital+Sanders
      Last edited by bob bridgewater; 05-08-2010, 12:08 PM.
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      Be safe out there folks
      Bob B
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Anyone using a pneumatic sander?

Have you seen the new Ceros woodworking sander from Mirka?

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...om+Heaven.aspx

What about Festool ROS models? They are expensive I know.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Bob D I see where were you are coming from. A good work horse!
          I just use mine for sheetrock mud. LOL
          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
          Be safe out there folks
          Bob B
          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Working...
          X