Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R7000 vs. R70002: Can I use a drill as a driver too?

I'm a complete novice to power tools, but I was doing researching on my first drill/driver and came upon 2 models on Home Depot's website.

R7000 - description only calls it a "drill"
    R70002 - description calls it a "drill/driver"

Both are the same price and specifications look about the same too.

My question is, if I purchased the R7000, would I still be able to use it as a driver? (I'm mainly using the tool to install some closet cabinets and window curtains, which requires me to insert screws, not use make holes with a drill. Will it be really hard to find the screwdriving bit for this model? Thanks.

Re: Ridgid R7000 vs. R70002: Can I use a drill as a driver too?

Both of these are low torque, high speed drills. While you can drive small wood screws with either, that's not what they are made for. These are to drill holes in wood (mostly) and small holes in metal. For screw driving you really would be better off with a geared down drill or better yet an impact driver or power screwdriver. You will want some manor of a drill however. Drilling pilot holes for screws driven into wood is a must in many cases.

As for finding the bits, if you use a drill with a chuck, you would want hex shank power screwdriver bits and they are pretty easy to find. Don't limit yourself to Home Depot as in many cases a good hardware store or better yet a tool dealer will have a better selection.

For working on curtain and drapery rod installation you won't need larger screws and I think you would find a cordless straight rotation power screwdriver to be your handy little friend. Trying to drive screws with any drill takes practice and some skil or you'll drive them in too far or strip them, or bust off the heads. Then the bad times roll in.

Please see this tool and also the pictures below. This little cordless power screwdriver is affordable and compact. It should be able to handle your work.
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100634089
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Ridgid R7000 vs. R70002: Can I use a drill as a driver too?

Betty,

I agree with Wousko, but let me add this. For serious drilling you generally want something with relatively high RPM. Typically 1000 RPM or more. For driving screws, you want something with low RPM and most "drivers" go from 0 to around 300 or 400 rpm. Most drivers also offer a "clutch" mechanism which allows you to set a particular setting that will slip once a certain almount of torque power is reached. Nice feature, if you're driving a lot of screws and don't want to have any of them driven deeply into the wood by mistake.

"Drills" generally do not offer a fixed low speed and most of today's drills are variable speed, dependant on the amount of "trigger pull". That is to say that the further you pull the trigger, the faster it goes. But, it takes a practiced hand to hold a trigger steady at some low speed in order to properly drive a screw.

"Drill-Drivers" often offer a two-speed setting... one for variable low-speed "driving" (up to 400 rpm for example) and one for high-speed drilling. In the low-speed setting, there is more torque, which is what driving screws is all about.

Generally for tasks around the house, like you mentioned, you really don't need anything big and powerful. Nor do you really need what most of us might term "a real drill". Driving screws, drilling pilot holes for screws, is usually a low power job, in all but the rarest of occasions. In my house I usually just grab my little Ridgid 12-volt drill/driver and go to it. But even then, that may be overkill for some.

Ryobi is the only manufacturer that I know of, which makes a corded drill/driver. Their D45C "Clutch Driver" sells for around $40 and offers both drill, driver, and clutch mechanisms... all at a very good price. But it's a full size unit and may be bigger than what you are looking for. A cordless is great, but then you have to be concerned with charging it before you can use it. That's not a particularly big deal, if you don't mind waiting a half hour or more. Cordless drills work best when they are used often, but the new Lithium Ion cordless drills offer pretty good shelf life between charges. But in the winter, they do not store as well and will loose their charge quickly if stored in a cold area.

Ryobi and Ridgid offer Li-Ion drill/drivers with Ryobi being the least expensive. (There are other brands of course, but I'm a Ryobi and Ridgid fan!) So, lots of choices. The cheapest and longest lasting way to go is with a corded tool like the Ryobi D45 Clutch Driver. But, as mentioned it's a bit on the large size when compared to the current cordless offerings. Cordless are great, offering compact size and certainly user convenience because you don't have to look for the extension cord or be tethered to an outlet when you climb that ladder. But they come at a $ premium and eventually the battery and/or the charger may have to be replaced. (Rechargeable batteries do eventually wear out!). With the Ridgid brand, there's that Limited Lifetime Service Agreement (free with registration) that guarantee's replacement for as long as you own the tool, but that to some part is reflected in the price, when compared to a Ryobi.

I hope this helps to some extent and good luck with your shopping,

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 08-03-2009, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X