Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Rigid 3000 PSI / 2.6 GPM Premium Pressure Washer

Hi all,

Have a problem with my P washer it runs great for a minute good pressure then the motor shuts down each time, seems a problem with the pump maybe binding up and shutting down the engine, the telephone help desk doesnt answer at Rigid,,,, any ideas to troubleshoot - not the obvious, much appreciated.

Christopher

Re: Problem Rigid 3000 PSI / 2.6 GPM Premium Pressure Washer

Are you calling the direct line for customer service? 866 539 1710

Sounds like air in the hose but they can talk you through it.

Comment

It doesn't really sound like air in the hose, as he said "good pressure", so I'm presuming that he had water flow happening there. But there are too many variables here. We need more info/details to maybe give some suggestions. Any other info you can give us, Chris?

Also, welcome to the forum. We're mostly all nice.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and the welcome,

Ive tried another hose,
        Ive tried another gun,
        Ive bought a new wand,
        I have good pressure
        Ive changed the nozzle
        Ive tried with no nozzle

It runs and works for several seconds then just stops each time same thing, Ive tried starting it without pressure with trigger open and it does the same, a few seconds then shutdown. Ive checked for leaks, air issues etc. I may be overlooking something really simple and just cannot see it. If it was the motor It would do this all the time not when pressure was introduced.

Im open to suggestions.

Thanks guys and girls (if youre reading this)

Chris

Comment

You sure you are not just running lean on the engine?Try running it with the gas cap off.If it runs then you may have a vent on the cap blocked.Also, could be fuel line blockage or carb issue.Don't assume the pump is binding.I do not think it would run then shut off multiple times if there was a bind.My two cents.Joe

Comment

This may seem wild, but be sure the engine oil level is correct. I remember a generator some time ago that kept shutting down after a few minutes. It had a crazy dip stick that lead me to think the oil level was fine but actually it was low. I found this out when I noticed the oil needed changing so I drain it out well and filled it up carefully measuring the amount of oil added. Also, if the engine isn't close to level that can cause the low oil shut down to act up.

Please try this and report. It should give us some clues.

1. With engine level check the oil level and make sure it's very close to the full mark. We should be OK to assume your little dip stick is fine.

2. With no discharge hose connected turn on your garden hose so some water flows through the pump even when it's not running.

3. Start the engine and let it run without load for about 15 minutes. Does it run smooth or does it miss-fire some or fail to keep running..

You may need to leave the choke part closed until the engine is fully warmed up.

If the engine miss-fires or stops, try pulling the starter rope not too fast and see if it feels like something is binding up. If not, you may have a little water in the fuel and a table spoon or two of Dry-Gas can help there.

All of this is taking a guess, but it may help or give some good clues.

Do try to rule out that the low oil sensor isn't the problem. Also, don't overfill the engine.

Comment

Thanks yes, oil sensor did spring to mind, oils good but I run a salvage company and use pumps of all sizes so used to having to make a "plan" I will give it an oil change and revert on results, appreciate all the time guys
              Chris

Comment

The pressure washer is working went on a salvage job came home and its running ... too strange, so its good for now... thanks for all the input,
                Regards
                Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJuredin View Post
                  The pressure washer is working went on a salvage job came home and its running ... too strange, so its good for now... thanks for all the input,
                  Regards
                  Chris
                  With no real changes made, it sounds then like maybe a fuel and/or oil issue (ie - too much oil, contaminated fuel, bad fuel flow, etc.). Glad to hear it's up and running fine for you now, but keep those possibilities in mind for down the road.

Comment

Working...
                  X