stuck bit in Ridgid R81030

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuck bit in Ridgid R81030

How can I remove a stuck magnetic 5/16" hex bit?

Re: stuck bit in Ridgid R81030

Put the end of the bit in a vise, set the slip clutch on a low setting, run the drill in reverse for a short burst. If the bit does not loosen set the slip clutch to a higher setting. Some bits are really bad for getting stuck, try a different brand

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Please help us to help you by including more information regarding the tool you are rafering to. When I did a search on the Ridgid site on R81030 it requested more info such as "hammer drill or impact tool".
      Generally I have had problems with the cheaper bits such as those from B&D kits getting stuck. Bits from Milwaukee and Bosch seem to have far fewer problems...Ray

Comment

Ray, the 81030 is a 9.6V pivoting screwdriver. As this is not an impact or hammering tool I also agree that the problem lies with the bits.
        ================================================== ====
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by mathprof View Post
          How can I remove a stuck magnetic 5/16" hex bit?
          Give a tiny little squirt of lube to the bit's shaft, where it goes into the hex quick connect. Then, take a screw that will work with that bit, and put it into a spare piece of wood with a separate tool. This is because I'm presuming here that the bit got jammed while screwing in a screw - so, you don't want to make the bit jammed worse by using it to put in another screw. Use another drill or an impact to put the other screw in, some other tool with more torque than this screwdriver. Then, use the screwdriver and try to back out the screw, with little short bursts of power at a time. This should help to loosen up the bit, and allow you to pull it out. But, even after doing this a couple of times, you may need to use a pair of pliers or vice-grips to pull the bit out of the quick connect. As long as you can get the collar/collet open on the hex quick connect shaft, this will work for you.

This is very similar in mechanics to what WBrooks has said also, but this works easy for you if you don't have a bench vice, or you're out on a job site. It sounds complicated and sounds like it will take a lot of time. But once you do this once, it's easy to follow and works great.

And like others have mentioned, this tends to happen with so-so bits. My recommendation is Apex bits, or something along the like that's a little bit more resilient.

Comment

Working...
          X