X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Sander

Today I used my orbital sander for the second time today and it started to sound funny and out of nowhere it stopped working.

First I checked the power and the cord light was on. I then tried another outlet and still it would not turn back on.

SO right now I have a snader that I have had for about 6 months and it is not working.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix the problem, so I can finish my project.

Thanks

Re: Power Sander

Did you pay your electric bill?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

About the only thing I can think of at this point is to take it to your nearest service center and explain the problem. Maybe they can take a quick look at it for you. You can go here and input your Zip code to find your nearest. I would think that one should be right there in Buffalo.

http://www.ridgid.com/MenuDriver.asp...enters&Code=PT

As far as the failure is concerned, the sander has an electronic speed control, so the failure could be anything from a loose connection to a defective circuit card.

Sorry this isn't more helpful,

CWS

Comment

This is a wild attempt, but worth a quick try.

1. Be sure the power cord is un-plugged for safety.

2. Grabbing the pad try to move it so as to rotate the motor a turn or two in both directions.

3. At the end away from the pad give your sander a few good raps with something like a piece of hard rubber or put on a glove and smack it a few times but not too hard.

4. Plug in and see if it runs.

My reasoning for the above is that sometimes a spec of dirt can hang up one of the motor brushes. By turning and also shaking it with the raps you may free them up and it will run again. Most likely it won't work, but it is worth a quick try. As another member said you can try taking it to a service center. I hope you kept you sales receipt as with it only being a few months this should be covered under warranty.

Comment

That was the first thing I did. As for the other guy; I paid my bill!

Comment

Originally posted by Stir_Crazy View Post
            That was the first thing I did. As for the other guy; I paid my bill!
            Aw c'mon lighten up, you can't possibly think I was serious.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have the same problem with a 5" Rigid orbital that started to squeal and just quits when on the wood. Mine is about 6 months old also, I went and bought a Milwaukee. Had to have a sander right away
              Please check out my web page
              www.woodandwax.net

Comment

Working...
              X