Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why you have to be careful at Harbor Freight.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you have to be careful at Harbor Freight.

Not a power tool, but I thought you all might find this interesting.

I'm not a fan of Harbor Freight for most things. My neighbor showed up with a framing square. That's my Stanley tape measure. I checked it against a Lufkin; they agree. My Great Neck square agrees with the tapes.

The photos are legit... no exaggeration, no parallax. Almost 1/4" off at the end of the blade.

But it was cheap.
    Attached Files

Re: Why you have to be careful at Harbor Freight.

Wow, what a screw up. Its like being gas-lit to think your crazy if you have a square that's a quarter inch out. That means i'd better check my cheap benchmark square against a tape! Good post dude.

Comment

I don't buy anything from HF that requires accuracy or longevity. Some of their stuff is just fine, but at HF you have to remember you get what you pay for...

Comment

Up in Canada we have a similar place called Princess Auto. Mostly made in China junk. I checked out a "commercial grade" water hose that warned the user to wash hands after using because there may be lead in the colouring.

I washed my hands and got the f outta there.

Yeesh.
        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Marklar89 View Post
          .............. Its like being gas-lit to think your crazy ..........
          Marklar89, could you translate that for some of us older generation types? Or, does it really mean to pour gas over yourself and flick a BIC?
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
            Not a power tool, but I thought you all might find this interesting.

I'm not a fan of Harbor Freight for most things. My neighbor showed up with a framing square. That's my Stanley tape measure. I checked it against a Lufkin; they agree. My Great Neck square agrees with the tapes.

The photos are legit... no exaggeration, no parallax. Almost 1/4" off at the end of the blade.

But it was cheap.
            That shows you how mass production can cause bad design. Even when the tolerance are ignored you are left this.

Comment

That's crazy! Thanks for the info.
              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Wow so much for their quality control for rulers. I hope the straight edge was straight and really 90 degrees. I guess its just inexpensive steel clamps and push sticks from HF for me and wood animal crafts for my kid.

Comment

That is really a rarity. I have several of those squares and all of them are dead on accurate in measuring and square. They are worth every penny of the $1.99 I pay for them at HF.
                  info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Gaslighting is a term meaning doing things to someone to make them think they are crazy. Here is the definition from wikipedia.
                    "Gaslighting is a form of intimidation or psychological abuse in which false information is presented to the victim, making them doubt their own memory and perception. The classic example of gaslighting is to change things in a person's environment without their knowledge, and to explain that they "must be imagining things" when they challenge these changes.
                    The term derives from the 1938 stage play Gas Light, in which a wife's concerns about the dimming of her house's gas lights are dismissed by her husband as the work of her imagination, when he is actually fully aware of the reason for their dimming. This is part of a wider pattern of deception in which the husband manipulates small elements of his wife's environment, and insists that she is mistaken or misremembering, when she challenges them". I had someone squirt water on pex joints of mine to make them look like they were leaking, which in my opinion would be gaslighting. The same guy used to put plumbing parts in new apartments when I was done cleaning up any mess I had left behind when setting fixtures. Some crazy stuff for sure!

Comment

I have seen it with more than just Harbor Freight, I have had several Stanly's over the years that showed a lot of variance in their measurements..so it is not just HF that has this type of problem, in fact I have a lufkin that the inch marks are not at an inch, the first inch is good, the second inch is set at 7/8" and the third is set at 1 1/8" and so on, somehow the screen print got, either moved or stretched when they were marking it..

Comment

Originally posted by MtMountains View Post
                        I have seen it with more than just Harbor Freight, I have had several Stanly's over the years that showed a lot of variance in their measurements..so it is not just HF that has this type of problem, in fact I have a lufkin that the inch marks are not at an inch, the first inch is good, the second inch is set at 7/8" and the third is set at 1 1/8" and so on, somehow the screen print got, either moved or stretched when they were marking it..
                        Wow, that is discouraging. I've never had either a Stanley or Lufkin framing square, but have until now had generally good feelings about these manufacturers. My Great Neck square is old and the screening is worn off in several places, so I need a new one... Guess I will have to check it carefully no matter what brand.

Comment

Wow, that is discouraging. I've never had either a Stanley or Lufkin framing square, but have until now had generally good feelings about these manufacturers. My Great Neck square is old and the screening is worn off in several places, so I need a new one... Guess I will have to check it carefully no matter what brand.
                          I learned a while back to always carry a tape with me that is known accurate, that way I can check any measuring device I will be interested in, when dealing with mass produced items, I don't trust any of them anymore and when working on some of the projects I do, it is imperative that they be dead nuts on... Dp

Comment

I may be wrong here, and I know the tolerances and specs. are not as tight on harbor freight tools,

but over the years it seems to me they keep getting better, and a lot of the top of the line companies are not where they were at one time in quality and fit and finish,

and I think part of that is most ever thing is being made in much the same places in the world, and that is not in the English speaking parts of North America, it is not that USA made automatically means it is better, but there seems to be more pride and desire to make a quality tool here.

but so many of the USA names are not manufactured here, I know none of this is new to any one,

I some times have groups of teens out to the farm for projects, and I will usually buy Harbor Freight so if the tools being used get planted I am not out much, and the stuff I have bought of the last few years, (all hand tools), has been above my expectations for the money spent, (and in the wood shop I have bought some of there hand screws clamps many of them and they were better quality and working than the units I bought from sears). I have some of there Air tools, and for the Dollar spent I am satisfied, use occasional, not day in and out, yes I would like to be able to spend $500 on a big air wrench but for twice a year use, it is hard to part with, and as of yet, the 3/8", 3/4" and the 1" inch wrench has done me well, (I have a old 1/2" I think it was rock well, I bought in 78 and has been excellent tool, nearly wore out),

the very few electric tool I have got from HF have been a basic disappointment, but have worked, (a electric impact for a family member, and jig saw for my grandson), the electric impact works and will change a car tire OK, but it is not any where in the same line as the Dewalt or Jepson and others, and the jig saw I have had to repair it once all ready as a pin in the transmission fell out letting a gear move. (both have done there job for the intended party's tho),
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Please Dont buy screen printed squares or any mesuring tool that has the index printed on them. always look for an index thats 'Stamped" into the metal.

That being said there of corse are a few exceptions. Tape mesures and the like must be printed rather then stamped in order to work as they should.

Comment

Working...
                              X