X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden hose blowing off pressure washer

Ok. I haven't seen this for myself, but...
    I let a friend use my Ridgid 3300 psig pressure washer and he says it has blown two graden hoses off of the inlet to the pump. He says the male connector stays in the nut on the pump and the hose separates from it. What can cause this.
    Thoughts are:
    1. He has very high water pressure where he is and maybe let the pump run long enough without pulling the trigger that heat built up in the pump and was in turn getting the hose warm and allowing it to blow out from the crimp because the rubber was soft from of the heat.
    2. Unloader not working correctly or check valve not working and allowing pressure to get to the inlet side of the pump.
    I don't know a lot about how these things isolate inlet pressure from pump pressure.
    Would like to hear ideas from those that know..

Thanks..

Re: Garden hose blowing off pressure washer

First off, I wouldn't let a friend borrow equipment like that unless he knows what he's doing with it. I'm really hesitant as to who I let borrow my machines. Especially pressure washers, as so much damage can occur because of user error.

Maybe he wasn't tightening the male end of the hose enough and vibration worked it loose. If there was an issue with the unloader/heat it should recirculate the water and discharge it, not cause backpresssure into the supply line.

Now I did have one issue similar to this several years ago. Was pressure washing a home for my MIL. They have well water and the pressure switch wasn't working properly and was causing the well pump to either be OFF or full ON, causing my hoses to swell and bust. Something like this could've happened causing the male end to loosen..... you never know. I'd go pick the machine up and hook it up myself and go from there. Later!

Comment

Shadow makes some good points. Do you know if his hoses are old? Something this simple might cause the problem. I have high water pressure and have not had a hose failure like you describe. Get the machine back and try it yourself before you run the risk of more serious damage than a broken garden hose!

Comment

If your going to loan it out make sure they have sand in there water, it really helps.
        (years ago I went to rent a washer from a paint store and they had the washer but would not work the guy before me had sand in is well).

I went and ordered my own unit and The first thing I did was put a whole house filter on the front of the washer to filter any crap out of the water entering into the washer, (put a pet cock drain) on the bottom of the filter for emptying it,

I have no idea on the hose blowing unless there were the 99 cent specials,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Go to a good hardware store and pick up a garden hose Y connector and a water pressure gauge. Please see pictures below. They don't have to be exactly the same, but this should give you the idea. Connect the Y connector to the hose bib (valve) near the house and the garden hose to one side of the Y and the gauge to the other. Then see if there is back pressure issues. You would do well to just check the water pressure at your friends house using just the pressure gauge. If it's over 70 PSI he/she needs to get a plumber over real soon to install a pressure reducing valve (pressure regulator) and a pressure relief (safety) valve. This will really pay off over time. Water heaters blow the safety valve, appliance valves fail and even pipes can bust of blow apart at fittings if the water pressure is really high. Other nasty things can happen too.

If the garden hose that blows apart is old or lower quality that may be the issue, but it's good to check.

WARNING: Improper use of a pressure washer can cause serious injury or even death. Never allow anyone that doesn't respect the machine and that hasn't fully read the instruction manual to operate it.

Comment

The machine is several miles away and it will be a couple of weeks before I am able to pick it up again (I use his lake house/boat and he uses my pressure washer).

shadow, it didn't vibrate loose, the hose came out of the female connector that is crimped on the hose,,

The hose we had hooked up to it before I left it with him was a pretty heavy duty hose. It would cost around $40-$50. I don't know about the 2nd hose that blew off..

Public water.... No sand or other grit from a well.

It has the internal unloader and as far as I know it does not have a thermal relief on it. It will be getting one after this. Probably will install an inlet filter too. I have a gage and will be checking the output pressure to see if it has lost any output pressure.

When I get it back I will run it and see if I have the same problem. I guess I need to find a gage to monitor the inlet pressure too.. My gut feeling is he let it dead head too long and it caused this. Hopefully there is no internal damage..

Comment

Just got a call saying that hose number 3 just blew off. Soemthing is up. He said he was moving it from on location to another (less than 50 ft.)with it running and it blew.

I checked the parts list and it does have a thermal relief. I am headed to buy a gage as Woussko suggested. This particular house has had issues with high water pressure in the past..

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post

WARNING: Improper use of a pressure washer can cause serious injury or even death. Never allow anyone that doesn't respect the machine and that hasn't fully read the instruction manual to operate it.
                YES! Like I said in another post these machines are bloody powerful. The zero point nozzle installed on a high psi machine can slice through drywall like an olfa knife or a sawzall. I've seen them obliterate raincoats, plastic light fixtures, soap dispensers on bathroom walls, cut THROUGH wallpaper that was well over 1/8th of an inch thick, slice vinyl floor tiles, vinyl siding, strip paint off cars, even scarify wood framing. They are definitely not for those under-educated in their use. Good warning.

Comment

I fired off this email to Cat Pump...

I have a Ridgid pressure washer with a Cat 3DNX27GSI pump. Garden hose connected to inlet of pump has separated from the female connector that is crimped on the end of the hose 2 times. Each time it leaves the female hose fitting connected to the nut on the pump. This happens when the trigger on the wand is not pulled.
                  I have not checked the supply water pressure, but I don’t believe it is possible for it to be so high that it could separate the hose from the fitting.
                  My question to you is, is it possible for the pump to leak back high pressure to the inlet side of the pump? If so, how do I fix this?
                  Thanks

Jim Hill

Response from Cat Pump:

Jim,

Good afternoon, the situation you are having is not a very common one. There are to possible ways this could happen. The is that the regulator on the pump is cranked down to the maximum and a pressure spike is getting through the pump because the regulator now has a slower reaction time. To fix this just back down the regulator to normal operating pressure. The second way is, over a period of time after the pressure washer is shut off the pressure trapped in the high pressure hose if not released will bleed back through the pump. This pressure usually dissipated back to the inlet of the pump and either will be eliminated if the hose is not hook up or the pressure will be lowered by the garden hose. If you had pressure trapped in your high pressure hose and garden hose hook up to the pressure washer with a Back Flow Preventer on the garden hose depending on the location of the BFP the high pressure would have no were to go and could cause this pressure you are indicating. Let me know if this helps.

Thanks
                  Joseph Goossen
                  Technical Sales
                  (763)780-5440 x734
                  CAT PUMPS

I have responed back with questions about my setup and possible damage that may have been cause to my pump by letting it dead head too long.
                  I will update this thead when I here back from him..

Comment

I had been pressure washing my driveway and house for a couple of days and had not experienced any problems with the pressure washer. I started last Wed. finishing up my house by pressure washing the sunroom and had one side of my shed to finish up also. Did the the sunroom without any problems and went to cutt off the machine before I moved it and lent over the machine and the water hose blew away from the male inlet also. I was not as lucky as the other guy in this forum. Hot water spewed from inside of the holding tank and hit my calf. I suffered a 2nd degree burn to about all of my right inside calf. The water hose that I was using was a high grade water hose and was not that old. I had only been using it for about 30 minutes with continuous spraying before this happened. I don't know what happend or why but like i said I had used it with no problem for about 2 days prior to this happening. The next day I had to finish my project so I got another water hose and finished the shed without any problems also. Don't know why this happened but be very careful of not only the sprayer but where the water hose connects to the pressure washer.

Comment

Wildcat,

Were you using the same pressure washer as I have? The 3300 psi Ridgid. Were you running hot water to the pressure washer inlet? If so, were you using a water hose that was rated for hot water use?

Comment

Not to say that Wildcat was doing so, but you shouldn't be running hot water through any PW pump unless it is designed and rated for it. Most cold water PWs are called that for a reason.

Another thing users should keep in mind is that PW pumps shouldn't be left to idle for very long, maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute max. If you need more time than that simply shut the engine off for a few and do what you have to do. I think most rely on the "recirculating bypass" to protect the pump, but this kind of mistreatment really shortens pump life.

I know that when you buy something you can get a lemon from time to time, but seems every time I visit this forum there is somebody complaining about these Ridgid PWs. It's either an issue with the engine, pump or the entire unit. I really think Ridgid should've tested these units much more than they apparently did. When you have more complaints than satisfied users there is a problem. I know some issues are probably user error, but it looks to be more than that with these units. Later!

Comment

Originally posted by shadow745 View Post
                          <snip...>

I know that when you buy something you can get a lemon from time to time, but seems every time I visit this forum there is somebody complaining about these Ridgid PWs. It's either an issue with the engine, pump or the entire unit. I really think Ridgid should've tested these units much more than they apparently did. When you have more complaints than satisfied users there is a problem. I know some issues are probably user error, but it looks to be more than that with these units. Later!
                          But shadow, the folks who aren't having issues with their Ridgid PW probably aren't going to be posting lot's of messages ranting and raving about how wonderful their machines are...most of them probably aren't aware that this forum even exists. When people have problems with an item (and that person is internet savy) they will search for answers to the problem and will find forums like this one, whereas happy owners usually have no incentive to research the equipment. I would think that there's more satisfied owners than dissatisfied ones...otherwise we'd probably have hundreds, maybe thousands, of folks finding the forum and posting to it. Having said that, I haven't had a chance to give my 3000psi a good workout yet so I'm hoping that I'm not one of the unhappy campers that make a problem post.

Ed

Comment

Working...
                          X