X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lithiumion charger for car

I need to be abel to charge my 18v lithium ion in my work van do they make a charger for the cigeret ligiter or how big of a power inverter do I need for the CS0842 rapid max charger

Re: lithiumion charger for car

Originally posted by wuzupdoc View Post
    I need to be abel to charge my 18v lithium ion in my work van do they make a charger for the cigeret ligiter or how big of a power inverter do I need for the CS0842 rapid max charger
    check the current consumption on the sticker, multiply that by 110 and you get rought wattage. Then multiply that by 1.3 and you get the inverter wattage.

Say batteries are 18v 2.5 Ah and it's a 1 hour charger, so charger would charge them at 20v 3a, that's 60 watts. If it's a 30 min charger - 120 watts. Because of losses in the circuitry, the real consumption will be 100 (200) watts. Most inverters are rated at peak power nominal power is usually 60% of that. So I'd say a 200 (400) Watt inverter would work.

However, most inverters use square wave rather than sine, and a lot of chargers don't work properly (esp li-ion ones). I tested Makita LXT DC18SC, Dewalt DC9000 and they refuse to work with modified sine.

I'd say if it's really important, get a 200-400 watt pure sine off ebay or a local alternate energy store, it will work properly with any type of charger.
    Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 08-20-2009, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Re: lithiumion charger for car

I agree with Wartex. A 400-watt power inverter should work fine for you.

I believe you mean that your charger is model number R840091. The CS0842 appears to be your serial number for that charger. The R840091 is the Rapid Max charger for the 18-volt lithium ion batteries, which is the same charger that I have. The sticker for this actual charger states that it has an input/draw of 120 volts, at around 60 Hz, and with 110 watts usage.

I have this same charger, and my Toyota Tacoma has a built-in power inverter in the truck, with the power outlet in the back of the box near the tailgate. When the truck is not running, this only puts out 100 to 150 watts, and my charger sometimes trips the breaker for this, when it starts from a heavy discharge and goes through those cycles at the start of charging with heavy buzzing noises turning on and off (cycling up with a higher power draw to charge). Now, when I start my truck, the power outlet is then activated to put out 400 watts, and it has no problem operating the charger fine at all stages of charging.

So, a 400 watt inverter should work fine for you. A minimum of a 200 watt inverter might work (due to the charger's stated draw of 110 watts), but you could be working it pretty hard, and you may need to reset a popped breaker a couple of times per charge. Depends on the efficiency/quality of the brand of power inverter that you buy.

Comment

Working...
      X