R4511 Top not flat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 Top not flat

I just bought the R4511 Table Saw. Before I even got it out of the truck I noticed a small pin hole size chip in the main table so I decided to take it back and exchange it. We looked at 2 more at the store and each one had much larger chips. I decided to keep the one I had after the manager offered me $50 off. When I got it all almost together I noticed an even larger (4mm) chip right next to the thoat plate. This time I took the top off and went back. We opened 2 more - one was chiped on the miter slot and the other one, while not perfect , I decided was good enough for the $430 I had invested in this thing.

The problem now is that using a 12" Starrett (new) ruler from a combo square I see the table is not flat. The front right corner, measuring left to right, is .013 low. Seems as though the table is high in the middle. The back left corner is also about .010 low.

Am I missing something here? I know the 12" rule could magnify the gap if one end was sitting in the low spot. But even balancing the rule on the high side would have me at .0065 out. I have not tried to get the wings level yet - but imagine this might prove difficult given the dip at the edge of the main table.

Have others actually measured the top?

This is my first table saw and after reading a lot of reviews about this one I thought I was going to get the deal of the century. Did they lower the QC standards? I am starting to second guess my purchase here....

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by matthoyt; 08-20-2009, 02:09 PM.

Re: R4511 Top not flat

"But even balancing the rule on the high side would have me at .0065 out..."

With all due respect Matt, have you ever made anything out of wood that was anywhere near 0.0065" tolerance? I think you're knit-picking with machinist standards, but trying to apply them to wood. The wood will move significantly more than that from day to day. Big chips are a legitimate complaint, but a table saw surface that's off by 1/100" on a corner? There's nearly zero chance that amount of deviation is going to be noticeable in your projects (...at least with my projects ). Get a good blade and align it within 0.003", and you should do just fine with the cuts.

Comment

I guess you are right hewood, there is no claim of a dead flat table top or any level of relative flatness expressed in x.xxx"/foot. It just says:

1 ¾ in. Thick Granite Table and Extensions
      provide a no-rust, no warp, vibration-reducing surface
      So they are only saying that it won't warp or rust.
      http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R4511-Ta...w/EN/index.htm

Why is the manual for the R4511 not available from the above web page?
      That's the first place people are going to look for the PDF copy of the manual.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Thanks guys for the input. I have made more measurements and the table definitely has a dip of .013 at the front the corner. I am still adjusting the right wing - trying to find a balance between the front and rear (which is not low). The wing will never be able to align with the dip at the wing facing edge.

I agree that .013 sounds insignificant. I may need to just accept it but I would not call it nit-picking. I have read all the table saw books, magazines, etc and put great significance on the flatness of the table. Anything I have read would put .013 way out of any modern accepted tolerance. Am I wrong? Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by matthoyt View Post
          Thanks guys for the input. I have made more measurements and the table definitely has a dip of .013 at the front the corner. I am still adjusting the right wing - trying to find a balance between the front and rear (which is not low). The wing will never be able to align with the dip at the wing facing edge.

I agree that .013 sounds insignificant. I may need to just accept it but I would not call it nit-picking. I have read all the table saw books, magazines, etc and put great significance on the flatness of the table. Anything I have read would put .013 way out of any modern accepted tolerance. Am I wrong? Thanks again.
          Matt - A deviation of 0.013" for blade alignment isn't acceptable, and could even be dangerous depending on which way it's skewed, but for table flatness it's likely nothing, and could even be adjusted with shimming of the wing or table...which is very common. Could it even be something with the floor the saw sits on? A span that large isn't immune from some flexing.

Make some test cuts with a good blade (not the stock blade)...it could all be a very moot point that'll drive you and the store employees crazy, and could ultimately drive tool costs up. If the cuts are good, great. If not, you'll have data on your side.
          Last edited by hewood; 08-22-2009, 07:24 AM.

Comment

That deviation is teeny and shouldn't make any difference. Cut some wood with it.

Comment

thanks

Comment

Working...
              X