Max Select on 18v li-ion...Bad/good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Select on 18v li-ion...Bad/good?

With the family/friends rebate, movers coupon from HD, and general good prices of Ridgid stuff, I'm going to pick up an 18v li-ion 5 pack combo here before the end of the month. Good times.

In addition, I've seen some good deals on a few bare-tool refurbished max select tools like the planer and the jigsaw. Now, I have a great dewalt corded jigsaw, and I don't really NEED another one. But a cordless jigsaw is just one of those handy things to have around, you know? And for $43 or whatever the refurb costs, why not?

However, I've seen a few comments on this forum about how the mex select tools run slower and are under gunned with the 18v batteries. Is this true across the board? Are some of the tools useful and some useless? Could we get some sort of a list going about which is which?

Thanks everyone, great forum you guys have going here. Lots of info.

Re: Max Select on 18v li-ion...Bad/good?

I have the planer and run it off 18v batteries. I like it. I do not have any 24v batteries to make a comparision.

I have a cordless jigsaw. I thought it would be useful, but I never use it; I always pull out my corded DeWalt.

Comment

Photojosh......Generally the power requirement is common sense. The circ saw is a power hog and the bigger the battery the better, the recip saw somewhat less but still likes power. The jig saw runs fine on 18V for most applications. Drills....again, common sense. Drilling small holes in pine, lower voltages provide plenty of power. Start running many 1 1/2 to 2 inch holes especially into hardwood and you will need higher voltage tools. My experiance with the planner is that it doesn't require much power.
      Hope this has been useful.....Ray

Comment

Makes sense. Good to know that the planer and jigsaw work well enough on 18v. I'll keep my eye out for them as refurbs. No real interest in max select drills/saws other than that as the 5-pack will have already filled my cordless needs for that stuff.

Thanks for the answers thus far.

Comment

I have the maxselect jigsaw and have run it on an 18v battery. It was a little slower than with the 24v, but over all it still cut well. You should check local HD's. I have seen new jigsaws on clearance for $79, and you would have the LSA.

Comment

Working...
          X