Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Li-ion battery issues....what's the straight scoop?

As I mentioned in my previous thread, I'm planning on picking up a li-ion 18v 5 pack combo before the end of the month. Tools look good, feel good in the hand, and are reviewed well. Not to mention being a good value.

However, I've seen a couple posts talking about some mysterious troubles with the li-ion batteries. Is this an old thing that isn't a problem any more? A current problem to be aware of? The result of user error? The result of just being unlucky and getting a bad battery?

And, assuming registered, how does Ridgid deal with this sort of thing? Or, if within 90 days, how does HD deal with it (if at all)?

Thanks!

Re: Li-ion battery issues....what's the straight scoop?

Depends a little on the luck of the draw. Ridgid uses three different brands of lithium ion cells in there batteries. Sanyo, Samsung, and E-moli. Some are better than others.

Comment

My Bosch LiIon cell hold charge for months. So do the skil and dremel,, even my Dyson stick vacs. The Ridgid 24v packs are worse than the many NiCd's/NiMH's I have, could be the heat in the garage but the other tools are stored there and no issued. Very disappointing. Went to use the fully charged pks. a few weeks ago and both dead. Had to use my Milwaukee NiCd circ saw. I would not have bought all the Ridgid cordless tools have except fot the LSA. I though the LiIon was a good concept, but it seems they are not fully developed yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Photojosh View Post
        As I mentioned in my previous thread, I'm planning on picking up a li-ion 18v 5 pack combo before the end of the month. Tools look good, feel good in the hand, and are reviewed well. Not to mention being a good value.

However, I've seen a couple posts talking about some mysterious troubles with the li-ion batteries. Is this an old thing that isn't a problem any more? A current problem to be aware of? The result of user error? The result of just being unlucky and getting a bad battery?

And, assuming registered, how does Ridgid deal with this sort of thing? Or, if within 90 days, how does HD deal with it (if at all)?

Thanks!
        On this forum you might find "posts talking about mysterious troubles" on almost any topic. We have a variety of contributors that share information, real and imagined on almost any topic.
        Lithium Ion batteries are used in a myriad of applications from laptop computers to running cars. They are in use every day throughout the world in literally millions of individual items. Lithium Ion batteries have been used in cordless power tools for several years now and again I feel safe to say that every day are used in millions of power tool applications throughout the world. It is certainly reasonable to expect such a widely utilized technology to experience a small percentage of failures.
        This a Ridgid forum and some individuals report perceived or real problems with Ridgid Lithium Ion batteries. It is important to keep reported problems in context. Home Depot through its thousands of outlets sells millions of Ridgid power tools and batteries every year. It should come as no surprise to anyone that there are a few problems reported here.
        The good news, and one of the reasons we decided to focus on using Ridgid power tools for our small company, is the multiple levels of assurance of product satisfaction that Ridgid provides.
        1-90 day, no questions asked, Ridgid customer satisfaction guarantee. Simply put...During the first 90 days after purchase if you are dissatisfied with the tool performance for any reason, simply return it to Home Depot for refund or exchange.
        2-Three(3) year warranty covering all the normal stuff. Bring the tool to a Ridgid repair center or return it to Ridgid power tool headquarters somewhere in the wilds of North or South Carolina.
        3-(the kicker) Ridgid's Lifetime Service Agreement which covers the repair or replacement of almost any tool component due to failure or wear....including the BATTERIES for the life of the tool. No worries mate! The battery fails or simply wears out as they all do, return it to Ridgid and it will be replaced. WOW, Now for the very expensive LI batts that is a great deal.
        Are there occasional problems with this procedure reported on this forum. You betcha. It's a procedure designed by humans and executed by humans and used by humans and therefor there will be some problems. There are a lot of individuals reporting on this forum, with some claiming mysterious problems. I have read many of their posts and would have to suggest that some of them would have trouble walking and chewing gum, that some are inveterate Ridgid haters, some didn't follow the simple requirements to effect the warranties and are trying scream, yell and bully a fix, and that some may be (gasp) in the employment of other power tool companies spreading disinformation and that some haven't been taking their meds.
        Many users of Ridgid Lithium Ion batts including myself have reported a problem or two with Ridgid LI batts that was quickly and efficiently taken care of by one of the mechanisms described above. Good luck with your decision.....Ray
        Last edited by roadrashray; 08-21-2009, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Valid points Ray. You can never discount the X factor of general human mistakes/ignorance/confusion/bad-luck.

Li-ion as a technology has always been good enough for me in all my other equipment. Even my apple laptop batteries, which are some of the worst in the industry, work well enough for a while. And running a website, I use the crap out of them. Man, just think of the money I would have saved if apple has a lifetime warranty on batteries...

Anyway, I just wanted to see if there was some general "bad battery" problem or if it was more of a human issue. Sounds like it's a bit of both. And with the 90 days and ridgid warranty coverage, I shouldn't bother worrying about it a whole lot.

Thanks folks. Good advice is hard to come by.

Comment

Just to touch up on Ray's fine post, so you have no misunderstanding of Ridgid's "90-day Satisfaction", 3-year Warranty, and the Limited Lifetime Service agreement.

Ridgid provides a "90-day Satisfaction" return policy. If you are not satisfied, for any reason, with the power tool product, you may return it too Home Depot for a full refund or an exchange. No problem!

Ridgid power tools have a 3-year warranty. Should the tool, including the battery and charger fail within three years of the date of purchase, you may have the tool repaired by sending or taking it to a Ridgid authorized service center. Home Depot (regardless of what a sales person might tell you) is not part of that process and they, generally will not handle the repair for you, or replace the questionable tool. The warranty transaction is strickly between you and the Ridgid repair center.

(If you depend on the tool for your income; many, if not all, Home Depots offer a "replacement" insurance plan at extra charge. Usually the details are posted in the tool display area or available at the service desk.)

The Limited Lifetime Service Agreement (LLSA) is available FREE on all Ridgid power tools that are made by TTI. (TTI makes the tools under license to use the Ridgid brand name. While that excludes vacuums and compressors, just about every other power tool is covered and the LLSA details are on the box and in supplied form.

HOWEVER.... you must REGISTER the tool in order to get the LLSA. If you don't register, you don't get it! The LLSA covers the tool and most of it's components, including the battery and charger for life. With the LLSA registration, you simply have to get the tool to a Ridgid authorized repair center for repair or replacement. Again, you must register the tool, which requires you to send in a copy of your receipt and the original UPC cut from the tools carton.

I only write this because too many people miss this great opportunity, assuming they have to do nothing.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Kanxrus View Post
              Depends a little on the luck of the draw. Ridgid uses three different brands of lithium ion cells in there batteries. Sanyo, Samsung, and E-moli. Some are better than others.
              did you actually see samsung or sanyo li-ion cells in ridgid batteries?

Comment

Working...
              X