Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hackzall vs Ridgid one hand recip.....?

Anyone have any thoughts about the relative merits of a Milwaukee Hackzall or Hitachi's 10.8 mini-recip vs the Ridgid "Fuego" one hand recip? I know the Fuego is heavier and larger than the other two. It's also cheaper as a bare tool from Amazon.

I'm not a professional builder. More of a homeowner with a decent (though not expansive) set of skills. I've got plans coming up like putting in a mother-in-law apartment in the shop, adding a bathroom to the garage, helping out aging mother with her house, stuff like that are the kinds of projects that I end up doing. A mini recip would be useful for me for drywall, quick rough dimensional trimming, retrofitting older house stuff, etc. Don't bother to suggest a full size recip as I've already got one. It's just a big big and powerful for smaller stuff.

There aren't a lot of reviews out there (or on ridgidforum) about the fuego recip. Toolsnob has this on the corded version, but it doesn't say much:

http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/200...go_recipro.php

Toolsnob reviews the hitachi here and compares the Hitachi and hackzall a bit here. Though they essentially say "6 of one half dozen of the other":

http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/200...saw_review.php

I'm probably more interested in the Hitachi than the hackzall because I'd like to get Hitachi's 10.8v li-ion right angle driver at some point for tight household spots. The Milwaukee M12 stuff looks fine, but I'm not that interested in their other tools at this point. My current "small" drill/driver set is Makita's 10.8v. Sadly, they don't make a saw, so I can't go that direction to be able to share batteries. Of course the ridgid would use batteries I already have, so I could buy the bare tool.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Photojosh; 08-24-2009, 08:52 PM.

Re: Hackzall vs Ridgid one hand recip.....?

Josh,

here is a review of all three tools that you mentioned.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...procating-saws

However, it is comparing the corded one handed Ridgid saw. I have the cordless one and it has surprising power. Like the article states sometimes it has too much power for more delicate jobs but, it is real handy when you have to get a saw into abnormal places. I used it last week to repair a broken line in a sprinkler system for one of my rental houses. The short 1/2 inch stroke worked out great since I was working in a small hole in the ground. A larger recip would've been a pain.

Also, Tools of the Trade chose to give the Ridgid corded saw one of their Editor's Choice awards for 2009.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=951902

Maybe this will help in your decision.

Kevin

Comment

Good info there Kevin. Thanks for those links.

Notice that the M12 saw also got a Editor's Choice. A shame Milwaukee doesn't make a clever little right angle driver like hitachi does.
      Last edited by Photojosh; 08-24-2009, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Photojosh View Post
        Good info there Kevin. Thanks for those links.

Notice that the M12 saw also got a Editor's Choice. A shame Milwaukee doesn't make a clever little right angle driver like hitachi does.

they make a right angle adapter that eliminates the need for this.

Comment

Funny you should mention the adapter....

I learned about the adapter yesterday and that made up my mind to just pick up one of them and a Ridgid one-hand recip for now.

I'll keep my eye out for a good deal on a hackzall in the future. Or perhaps makita will make a version for their 10.8 system.

Comment

Working...
          X