Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sad commentary

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
    Got any links to all the retail markets and where they are going?

It was in the news that retail sales went down.
    That's what I meant, that the retail sales and earnings of places like Lowes and HD were down. You can see the Lowes 2nd quarter profit fell almost 20% here:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...SUxnQD9A4N8U80

I'm no expert, but I figure that is why there are so many sales at those sort of places these days. Dewalt stuff was all 15% off the other week at Lowes, making for 25% off if you used a "movers" coupon. Appliances have all been 10-15% off for the past few months with free delivery and what not. Ridgid/ryobi are offering pretty big rebates on power tools. And so on.

Anyway, if the OP needs a cheap new shop vac, I figure that he won't have to wait until xmas to find a good deal.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I was venting because this is such an easy fix. Pull a spring out, remove old brush and install new brush, done. A visit to a small motor repair shop was useless. I brought the old brush in and they wouldn't even look at it. Just said don't have it, cant get it. I am at that age where I remember you could get repair parts. Very frustrating.

Comment

When I lived in Iowa, use to join a group of older retired men for coffee every day. There wasa guy there who use to have a TV store and repair shop. He was in Walmart during one of the big sales, and saw a TV on sale, one of the large screens for less money than he could buy a replacement screen.
        Now at days you buy something and use it till it dies then toss it to the landfill and go get a new one.
        Drives me nuts, you buy something and you know you will be replacing it before you want to replace it. I hate knowing the itme will be out of date, not able to fix it, or get parts because they change some minor part, change the colours, or something else to sell this years model over last years model.

Tools are a prime example. Ridgid Nicads batteries are now on clearance at HD and the LItho Batteries seem to have more problems then they are worth. But Nicads are out of date and they work but time moves on and they are last years model.

Comment

I had brushes go out on my ridgid called 18004ridgid sent me a new vac had to send back the old motor head but got a new vac new hose new filter and new wheels was worth the 12 bucks postage to send the motor back to st louis!! And the motor is an emerson made proprietary motor.

Comment

I don't know if this will help you or not. I used to work in a hardware store that was an old time mom and pop setup. In the loose nut and bolt section they had a bin dedicated of loose brushes you could get on the cheap. A lot of the smaller,older hardware stores carry really odd hard to find stuff. Also, they have many years of gathering resources of different products and are usually quite happy to spend the time to find and order it (if needed,we did all the time and that's why we had a very loyal following).Plus you have an experienced staff who usually have been there for years and know what they're talking about. Certainlly not like the 18 year old kid who has never fixed anything in his short texting, computer,xbox,facebook filled life and,who because he has an orange or blue apron and thinks he's Norm Abrams.

Comment

Working...
            X