X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sad commentary

I need a set of brushes for my Ridgid WD0600 shop vac. Sent a note to Ridgid technical support and they told me I was SOL. An $80 shop vac has to be junked for lack of a $5 part. They cited "safety issues". Thats why American companies cant compete. I will steer clear of Ridgid products. Ridgid is what they shove up the consumer's a**.

Re: sad commentary

lol, that is sad. you cant find any brushed anywhere in the world? dude, how about you search around and find some from another brand? and yea, you must junk it just because you fail to search LOL

Comment

Originally posted by jmh0112 View Post
      I will steer clear of Ridgid products. Ridgid is what they shove up the consumer's a**.
      I'm no Ridgid preaching zealot. But you are off base here. There are plenty of companies who have this same issue. It's a problem based on contemporary society's "use it then trash it" attitude, rather than a "fix it when it breaks" one. Blaming Ridgid makes no sense.

And to be honest, given the litigation happy "I want someone to pay for my stupidity" it's probably a smart move for them to not sell parts like that. Someone buys the brushes, trys to fix the tool, then hurts themselves and sues. That's america!

Comment

I guess if you properly register a product and they can't repair it then they need to replace it.

Did ridgid drop the ball or did you?

Comment

Well, it sounds like it's unpopular but I agree with the original poster on this issue. Whether other companies are doing the same thing doesn't validate Ridgid not stepping up with a spare part. Especially motor brushes, which are a wear item. Would it be ok if you couldn't buy an alternator for a truck because someone might hurt themselves installing it? I'm sorry, but I don't buy that argument. As for the registration, well, if you don't register, you shouldn't get the free service. But I don't think that should mean you can't buy parts! I for one would rather buy the brushes and change them myself, thus getting the machine back in service in 20 minutes, than screw around with returning it and all that.

I guess those of us that want to keep our stuff running will have to research the spare parts policies of the suppliers before we buy. I'll stop short of saying I wouldn't buy a tool like an $80 vacuum, but I would sure think twice about getting something more expensive if I knew I couldn't get parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
            Would it be ok if you couldn't buy an alternator for a truck because someone might hurt themselves installing it? I'm sorry, but I don't buy that argument.
            I didn't say it was "okay", I just said that it "is what it is". That's the world we live in. Ridgid might not be any better than any other company, but it's not any worse. Nor are they to blame.

You want to blame someone? blame the lazy greedy people who sue over anything and the leech lawyers who make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh0112 View Post
              I need a set of brushes for my Ridgid WD0600 shop vac. Sent a note to Ridgid technical support and they told me I was SOL. An $80 shop vac has to be junked for lack of a $5 part. They cited "safety issues". Thats why American companies cant compete. I will steer clear of Ridgid products. Ridgid is what they shove up the consumer's a**.
              Swimming against the current......
              I understand your frustration, however if you are done with your rant and want to get into a solution, here it is. The shop vac probably has a "sealed" motor and is intended as a throw away. As someone else posted, this is very common today. I had the same type of motor on the furnace fan on my travel trailer. When I pulled the motor I noticed it had bent over tabs instead of screws holding the motor together. I straightened the tabs and pulled the motor apart. Brushes were worn out. Called the furnace mfgr and was told that their contract with the motor mfgr did not allow any repairs. They told me to toss motor and buy a new one for $125. I bitched about what a waste it was to scrap a motor when all it needed was a set of brushes.
              Got the name of the motor mfgr off the case. Of course that mfgr had been sold to another company. Checked internet and found name of new company and called them. Talked to tech service and they told me the motor was designed to be tossed and not repaired. I hung up and called back and asked for the Product Mgr for that model motor. Talked with him and he told me motor was designed to be tossed which was why it was held together with tabs instead of screws. I told him I had motor apart and knew how to put it back together and it was a waste to toss a perfectly good motor for lack of a pair of brushes. He said he would walk into the factory area and pick up a set of brushes and send them to me. Recived the envelope a couple of days later, installed the brushes and four years later the motor is still running my RV furnace. Keeps it nice and warm.
              I would guess that product mgr took a chance by sending me the brushes as I'm sure that legaly he exposed his company to liability by helping me fix a motor intended to be used and tossed. Thats why Ridgid told you they couldn't help and it was a safety issue.........Good luck, Ray

Comment

you could try a motor rewind/rebuild shop and see if they had brushes,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

ShopVac did something similar to me. One day I was using it and it just quit. Would turn on and run for about 4 seconds then cut off.

Was still under warranty, ShopVac sent me a new powerhead and told me to cut the cord off the original and toss it.

Me being the tinkerer that I am, opened up the powerhead and realized it blew a fusible link. Fix the fusible link, powerhead good as new again.

Moral of the story is its easier for them to not let you fix it than get out from a lawsuit from you if you "fixed" it and ended up harming yourself or others. At least in my case ShopVac sent me a new part, maybe Ridgid should send you a new powerhead.

Comment

I do not know who makes there vacuum motors, but AMETEK makes many vacuum motors and are sold by WW Granger's, and the Granger's catalog has replacement bushes for the units they sell, http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...&L1=Brushes%2C

In there 400 catalog there on page, 77. the web site has a lot more info, the on the sizes and dimensions of the brushes that are for sale, one maybe can measure and find some thing that way.

and who know they may be using Ametek motors in there units, I do not know, look at the specifications of the motor and the type and see if one can match it up, you may be able to figure out what it needs.

here is Ametek vaccum page,
                    http://www.ametekfsm.com/Products.aspx
                    Last edited by BHD; 08-25-2009, 10:25 AM.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Here's my take on the situation.... you buy something from a dollar store and it gives out no big deal. Easier to toss it than fix it in most cases. You pay $80 for something there should be parts available. Now I do agree there are probably many parts out there that will fit your unit, just under another brand name. Case in point.... we have a whole house water treatment system costing about $8,000. The timer motor goes out on the carbon filter backwash head. I call the dealer that installed it and they say that timer motor is proprietary and they charge $135 per hr. to come out and replace it. The timer motor is under warranty, but we will be charged a re-stocking fee. OK so I say why don't you sell me the proprietary timer motor and I'll replace it myself..... They say it'll void the warranty...... I say screw them. Did an online search and found out their "proprietary timer motors" are made by Intermatic and there are maybe a dozen online sites that will sell me a new one for $70. I bought that along with new carbon/gravel and decided to rebed the unit myself. Total overhaul for another 4 years of service. Total cost.... about $205. Total cost for the dealer to do the same thing, $500. Who cares if it's not under warranty anymore. If something else goes out I'll fix it myself and let that crappy dealer go out of business. That is price gouging if you ask me. Just 2-3 years ago their service rates were half what they are now.

That was a bit off subject but you get the point. People say the economy, lawsuits, etc. are to blame for lousy customer service. I say that's bullcrap. Look at Sears.... you can find parts for their products going back 20+ years with no problem. Look at KitchenAid. I have a coffee bean grinder made by them. Had modified the crap out of it, repainted it, etc. and had an issue with a worn out bearing. They told me they didn't have that particular part in stock, but sent me a brand new grinder for free and the one I had was even 6 months out of warranty. How's that for customer service? If more companies were like those 2 it'd be a better world. Later!

Comment

Shadow745,

I like Sears products as well, but go to the national BBB (Better Business Bureau) register for Sears and prepare yourself for an eye opening experience.

What hasn't been mentioned is how many years of service was gained from this product before it failed.

If the unit is notorious for fire hazard, no way is it worth enabling one individual to set the wheels in motion to understand what is already a dangerous situation.

If a bad/upset customer comes out of a situation you know you cannot correct, and it is for the betterment and protection of the company, so be it...

line those bad customers up and keep counting because it's better to have them than to have liability out there knowing products get used inappropriately or incorrectly, and one walk away from a unit that's catching on fire is a lawsuit.

That's where a unhappy customer is worth it, honestly.

The ridgid shop vac we had was smoking before we bought a new one. Had it for years, but it was time to buy a new one and life moves on.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

typically if there are no exposed brush caps, then it wasn't designed for an easy do it yourself repair.

keep in mind if you need to bring this in for service, typically at the 50% mark, they don't advise to do the work.

i doubt any repair shop will do the labor and supply the parts for under $40. therefore unless you do it yourself, it's not worth fixing.

yes this is the whole purpose of your post. but keep in mind, 99% of the owners of these vacs would not disassemble the vacs motor to service the brushes.

most plumbers have a stack of power tools, like sawzalls that are trashed due to being more expensive to fix than replace. sure most can swap out a power cord themselves, but after that, it's too spendy to fix a $100 sawzall for much more than a cord. we all have junked tools sitting around to swap parts just for this reason.

now back to your issue. if you remove the brushes, they are most likely interchangeable with other motor brushes. i have gone to the local hardware store to match them up. they typically keep a specialty pack for carbon brushes and have 30 different styles and sizes. i'm sure there will either be an exact fit or a set close enough to work.

the times i've done it was for real expensive unique tools that i fixed at home.

so yes, it can be done, but unless you do it yourself, it's not the worth the investment. the same can be said with most consumer home electronics, kitchen appliances, power tools.

bring in the brushes to your hardware store, or motor shop and see if you find a match. once you see how much time and effort is involved in the repair, you'll see the cost is not worth it for 99% of the owners.

every christmas home depot sells a shop vac for under $30.00 if all else fails. i'm sitting on 4 years worth.

good luck

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            every christmas home depot sells a shop vac for under $30.00 if all else fails. i'm sitting on 4 years worth.

good luck

rick.
                            You won't have to wait until christmas I don't think. With the miserable earnings report places like Lowes are releasing in the past month, there are plenty of sales to be had at the big-box stores due to the economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Photojosh View Post
                              You won't have to wait until christmas I don't think. With the miserable earnings report places like Lowes are releasing in the past month, there are plenty of sales to be had at the big-box stores due to the economy.

Got any links to all the retail markets and where they are going?

It was in the news that retail sales went down.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X