X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS14002 Band Saw Goes in Reverse

I just finished some repairs and adjustments on my BS14002 bandsaw. When I went to run it the motor goes in reverse. Can anyone explain this to me? The label on the motor states clearly that it is a non-reversable 120/220V motor (I'm running it on 120V) and the motor turns CCW at the shaft end. But it is clearly going CW, not CCW, and my blade is going in reverse. I haven't run it for a week, as I broke the shaft/hinge on the upper wheel, but I got the repair part and replaced it today. It was certainly going the correct way last week.

Re: BS14002 Band Saw Goes in Reverse

Maybe the saw is upside down?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Honestly I don't know how this could
    happen unless your belt was twisted. Which would mean the
    motor still turned in the same direction and the BS wheels
    were turning in reverse, but the belt would not be long
    enough for this to even be a remotely possible situation.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      Maybe the saw is upside down?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Honestly I don't know how this could
      happen unless your belt was twisted. Which would mean the
      motor still turned in the same direction and the BS wheels
      were turning in reverse, but the belt would not be long
      enough for this to even be a remotely possible situation.
      Oh how I wish it were just that simple. No the belt isn't twisted, just my mind. I've never experienced anything like this in all my years as a service technician on packaging machinery, but I'm completely unfamiliar with single phase, non-reversable motors. My background is all with 3-phase or single phase reversable motors, usually running on 240 Volts. If it were a single phase reversable motor, I would just swap the field wires, but I'm holding off on doing that until I hear back from Ridgid Support. I don't think you can do that with this cheap motor.

In any case, even with the belt off the motor still runs CW when it should be CCW. I starting to wonder if I even checked motor direction when I set up this saw a few weeks ago. I really haven't done much sawing with it, just a few test cuts. I would think if the blade were going in reverse I would have had a tough time cutting anything. I would also think that when it went through the service center (I bought this saw reconditioned) someone there might have noticed the motor direction. So for now, I'm just thinking that some gremlins got into my shop while I was gone for the past few days and it will all be back to normal when I wake up tomorrow morning, and those little fellows will have had their laugh

Comment

when it went through the service center (I bought this saw reconditioned) someone
        very interesting....the plot stinkens.

I wonder if this BS came to the service center less motor, maybe because the store had swapped it out with a motor for a customer. Then, when it came to the service center, it got fitter with a motor turning in the wrong direction.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        ---------
        ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          I wonder if this BS came to the service center less motor, maybe because the store had swapped it out with a motor for a customer. Then, when it came to the service center, it got fitter with a motor turning in the wrong direction.
          Well Bob, anythings possible. I contacted Ridgid Tech Support and they want me to return the saw to a service center. The guy did offer that the wiring could be incorrect, either internally at the windings or at the peckerhead. I checked the external connnections and they are correct per the wiring diagram -- L1 to wire 1 and 3, L2 to wire 2 and 4.

Before I go lugging this heavy thing to a service center, I would like to have someone who owns a BS14002 confirm something for me. My motor is model 828848. Does that match the model number on other BS14002 saws?

My other thought is to just widen the BS base with 3/4" MDF and turn the motor around. I already have the motor mounted on its own piece of 3/4" MDF, so all I would have to do is get longer hardware. Of course, the original belt guard would have to be modified, but that's no big deal.

Comment

I wouldn't be doing any modifying to the motor mount or the belt guard. It does sound like a reversed wire - for the inconvenience of it all, it's best to take it to a service center to be looked at. If they reverse the wires to test the motor rotation, and they fry it, you're covered. If you try it on your own, and/or start modifications and other changes, and it doesn't work and causes worse issues, they may say that you've voided things and you aren't covered, because you tried your own unsure fixes/changes.

Best to get it checked out. CYA.

On another note - "Ridgid Tech Support" and "peckerhead" both being mentioned in the same post (although granted, not in that way, but still)....priceless. [Sorry, couldn't resist - it was served up, so I had to take it. ]

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
              I wouldn't be doing any modifying to the motor mount or the belt guard. It does sound like a reversed wire - for the inconvenience of it all, it's best to take it to a service center to be looked at. If they reverse the wires to test the motor rotation, and they fry it, you're covered. If you try it on your own, and/or start modifications and other changes, and it doesn't work and causes worse issues, they may say that you've voided things and you aren't covered, because you tried your own unsure fixes/changes.

Best to get it checked out. CYA.
              Ooopps! I should have checked back and read your post before I modified the saw. In any case, it is now working well with the motor turned to drive the blade in the proper direction. Even though the motor is still going CW.

As you can see in the photo I extended the base with a 25" x 20" piece of 3/4" MDF. I let it overhang the right side of the metal base by about 6". The reversed motor is mounted to a 10" x 7 1/2" piece of 3/4" plywood, which has 5/16" T-nuts recessed into the bottom. The motor and plywood are then mounted to the MDF base with 3/8" carriage bolts. It still needs a guard for the belt, so I'll build that before I do any serious work with the saw.

I did check it out with a few test cuts and the modification does its job. The saw is smooth running. with no detectable vibration. I gave it the old nickle test. It starts, runs, and stops without shaking the nickle. Of course, beside this motor mod, I did balance both wheels. I also added a link belt, cool blocks, All Pro 5/8" blade, urethane tires, and a Kreg fence.
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a good job, and sounds like you know your stuff. It's good to hear that nothing went wrong for you. But, for what it's worth, I would still have it potentially looked at in the motor hookups. It may not be a good thing for that motor's longevity if it's hooked up improperly/reversed. Also, looking at that 25"x20" piece of MDF, while it's a smart and easy job you did, for me myself, I would be worried about constantly hitting it or snagging on it whenever I walked or reached around the saw. Just a thought.

Your saw, your call.

Comment

I would be worried about constantly hitting it or snagging on it whenever I walked or reached around the saw.
                  It couldn't hurt to round off those corners. First time or two run you bang into one you might wish you had.

Nice work on flipping the motor to get correct rotation. You shouldn't have had to do this but you overcame the problem. I have an old Craftsman BS that is similar to the RIDGID. On it the motor is mounted inside the base below the saw. It runs a longer belt but it was set up that way I believe because there was a speed reducer option available for it so you could cut metal with a 200 fps blade speed. I don't have the speed reducer kit, when I bought the BS I figured I would have no need for it. I was wrong.
                  ---------------
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                    I would still have it potentially looked at in the motor hookups. It may not be a good thing for that motor's longevity if it's hooked up improperly/reversed.
                    I couldn't find a thing on the web about these non-reversable motors. And all the electrical guys I consulted with had no idea what I was talking about. Everyone kept telling me to swap this wire or that, and there wasn't any such wire to be swapped. I pretty much gave up on making the motor go CCW. You're not the first to mention the possible longevity of the motor, if it is not going it's intended direction. Only time will tell.

I will knock of the corners of the base as you and Bob D suggested. I was in a bit of a hurry today.

Comment

Just found this:

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/motor-p-156781.html

You had stated previously "My motor is model 828848."

At the above parts site they list that part number motor as the motor for the bandsaw, which makes the whole problem even more confusing as this would seem to indicate this is the correct motor.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

Working...
                      X