X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4516 support

I just got an R4516 table saw at HD. (clearance, new in box, $200).
    looks nice, and reviews on it look good.
    I went to the Ridgid site to download manual and check for parts availabilty, just in case. I find a product page, but nothing else. I have the printed manual, but like to have digital one too.
    Is this an orphan model or what? Is it functionally identical to any other models?

Re: R4516 support

You could e-mail Ridgid customer support, and ask them to e-mail you the PDF copy of the manual for that manual.

Comment

or contact sears

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...criptionAnchor

they sell the exact same saw.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Same general idea, but they are different saws, IMO.

Comment

i have seen both. if they are not the same saw, i'd like to know what is different about them.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
            i have seen both. if they are not the same saw, i'd like to know what is different about them.
            While they are almost similar in design, function, and performance, they are still inherently different tools. I don't own either, but I have seen and used both. There are some slight but undeniable differences between the two saws - obviously, there's the colour and overall appearance between the two. While that may not seem like a big "parts difference" per say, it does still make a difference - something as simple as the Ridgid stickers and labels may be different sizes, different labelled specifics, etc. The handle and frame/carrying/rolling system is different between the two models. The sliding miter gauges have a different design. The on/off switches on the two models have different housings.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...criptionAnchor

Performance wise, and overall design and construction, yes, these two saws are very similar. Like you, I would no doubt be willing to bet that they are assembled/manufactured at the same Chinese factory, and/or that the same design team worked on both. It saves them production costs if they can have molds for the body, and can use one casting for both saws, just with different paint.

However, they are still different saws. Just the same as with the similarities/differences between a Ford F150 and a Lincoln Mark IV (I think that's the model number), or a GMC Sierra 1500 and a Chevy Silverado, along with many other cars, trucks, fridges (Whirlpool/Kenmore), etc., etc. There may not be much of a perceived difference, but there still is one IMO.

Do I agree with all this - no. But that's the way that manufacturing is now, whether we like it or not. It's all about saving manufacturing costs and improving the bottom line.

Comment

perhaps i should have questioned the "meaningful" differences between them. anywho, the current issue of popular woodworking tested it along with 4 other benchtop saws and it appreared to come in dead last with the test noting that the miter slots in the table top were not parallel.

Comment

Absolutely, Finer - "meaningful", no, but still different. The OP was curious about parts, etc., so even though a piece could be molded the exact same for the two different saws, one could have an extra hole drilled in it or something integral like that which could be important for proper re-assembly. Yes, minor, but still something, IMO.

RE parallel - yeah, that's getting funnier and funnier with many tools, not just Ridgid. The lack of quality control is getting a bit worse these last few years. Granted, sometimes things can't always be 100% ready for us right out of the box, and you need to do some calibration and setup work (a sliding mitre saw is a good example). But to have many cast and molded things be out of whack, especially when they are intended to be an integral part of exacting measurement, is laughable. Someone had posted a bit ago about a 2 foot square that they got from Harbour Freight, and the measurements were out by about 1 1/2" or so over the course of the 24", and on a cast/stamped tool. It's getting a bit pathetic.

I know that there's more of a focus on quantity rather than quality, and that leads to cheaper/more inexpensive tools. But there has to be a balancing point, to get the best of both worlds, and retain the integrity of a brand/tool/measurement standard.

Comment

Working...
                X