X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R86447 18V One Handed Recip. Saw

I just thought that some might be interested to here some information on this saw. I only had it a couple of weeks and only use it for light work related to installing data cable for my own small business. Notching cabinets, wall board, and cutting 2x lumber, but not all day usage.

This saw seems to cover a wide range of cutting tasks. More then I had ever expected. I guess I had expected it to do all the small cutting jobs that it was made for. What I wasn't expecting it to do, is to cut a fir 4X6 in 55 seconds. It could do it in less time if I used more pressure. The blade I used was a "Rigid Rapid Demolition" RD4606 4/6 TPI. Now, I know there is a video out on the net that shows this saw taking about 2 minutes to cut a fir 4X6 also. I don't know whats going on there.

I am pleased with this R86447 and I didn't see any other small saw that could cover the wide range of cutting when I went shopping.

There is one glitch in this handy saw. The safety button that locks the trigger, is located so that it causes me to get a poor grip when starting a cut. I noticed the 120V version doesn't seem to show a safety button on any of the pictures.

Ken

Re: R86447 18V One Handed Recip. Saw

Good comments/info. Thanks.
    Last edited by canucksartech; 09-03-2009, 03:06 PM. Reason: Post # 1100. I'm catching up to ya, Rick, you better watch out!!

Comment

Great info.. How is battery life with the compact 18V LI battery?

Comment

just picked one up last night. I haven't had much time to play with it. Hopefully 2day I will make my way out to the garage and see what she will cut. It seems as if it has a ton of power but the safety switch is in a dumb location on top of that I'm left handed so that makes it even harder.

Comment

Originally posted by longranger View Post
          Great info.. How is battery life with the compact 18V LI battery?
          I use my tools daily but but I don't use them for long periods of time. So I am not the best person to help anyone about run time on any cordless tool. So far it doesn't seem anything to write home about. If I had to give an opinion at this time I would say no better then average.

For what it is worth. My personal take on the subject of run time is this. Sometimes a long run time battery, doesn't get cycled properly over and over. Sometimes this can be worse for the battery, then a battery with a shorter run time, that gets run dead every day.

Sorry for the poor reply.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by kheim View Post
            I know there is a video out on the net that shows this saw taking about 2 minutes to cut a fir 4X6 also. I don't know whats going on there.[/FONT]
            Ken
            I think the video you're referring to was by a guy who runs a Dewalt forum. The blade he used was not new. It was not supposed to be a test, I think he was just trying it out. It was the cordless model. Still very impressive for such a small saw with a short stroke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynyk4YTd_fs

Comment

It's to bad the person that made this video, chose not to use the proper blade to match the job.
              Failing to do so, caused a very misleading impression.

Had he used less tpi, the difference in the saws would have been about 45 seconds rather then the 95 seconds difference shown in his video.

Quick math, puts that at less then half of the time, difference, between the two saws portrayed in his video. Experienced viewers should pickup on this, so its not a big issue.

This would have left a much different impression to the average viewer.
              When posting such a video a person needs to act more responsible about the message that is being sent.

Ken
              Last edited by kheim; 09-09-2009, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I got around to making a video of the R86447.
                Showing the six earlier cut pieces using this same blade.
                The blade had about 5 minutes of additional cutting time on other misc. soft wood items.
                Blade: "Rigid Rapid Demolition" 4/6 TPI.
                Battery had a fresh charge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ipXkGN55_g

Ken
                Last edited by kheim; 09-10-2009, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Thanks all for the input. Got the 4 piece compact set with this saw and love it so far. It is very light and powerful enough for most of my projects. For those rare times I would need a more powerful reciprocating saw my personal preference is to use a corded model if at all possible. Probably will get the 3 Ah battery for the saw. Never can have too much battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by kheim View Post
                    It's to bad the person that made this video, chose not to use the proper blade to match the job.
                    Failing to do so, caused a very misleading impression.

Had he used less tpi, the difference in the saws would have been about 45 seconds rather then the 95 seconds difference shown in his video.

Quick math, puts that at less then half of the time, difference, between the two saws portrayed in his video. Experienced viewers should pickup on this, so its not a big issue.

This would have left a much different impression to the average viewer.
                    When posting such a video a person needs to act more responsible about the message that is being sent.

Ken
                    I have to disagree because despite Ridgid cutting faster with a more aggressive blade, time ratio would be the same, therefore time to complete the job will be proportionally smaller with Dewalt, and they are not that different in size. This also indicates that a with a full-sized recip you can get by with high TPI blades. Also, the blade that he used is a typical variable-tpi blade that comes stock with many recip saws (but longer in this case) and is designed for cutting wood. Sticking a specialized blade in Ridgid to show it can perform faster is like sticking a V8 into a Smartcar and claiming it can go much faster on the same race track with a "proper engine". Your typical DIYer is not going to go and buy Bosch demo blades to cut some studs in the basement. That being said, this recip is designed more for cutting ABS/PVC pipes, small gauge metal rods and occasioanlly 2x4s or strapping. While this video may create some bias, the expected performance given average blade is accurate.

Comment

In Reply to DRC-Wartex

I disagree:
                      Forums are about helping and not about promoting one brand over another.
                      Not using the correct blade for the job that would handicap one saw vs another is not considered helpfull to anyone.
                      Any lower tpi blade is a natual choice for thick lumber and is not considered special in any way, actualy not picking a low tpi blade for thick lumber would be considered special or even odd.
                      Your comment on the two saws being almost the same size. I'll let that go because it speaks for itself, but does indicate some desperate thoughts on your part.
                      I don't consider the Dewalt forum video bias, just poorly done with respect being truly helpful. Experienced users can see its lack of validity with out my input.
                      You did bring up the bias issue, maybe I am missing a bias slant. Hmm?

Anyhow,
                      Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sorry that you don't agree, but that’s a good thing. This world would be really boring if we all drove the same car or bought the same colored tools.

The 4/6tpi blade and simple math puts the two saws much closer, in the time it takes to cut the 4X6. Even if the large dewalt would cut it's time in half also, while using the Ridgid blade, the difference would still be about 45 sec. 45sec is not that big a deal unless you cut 4X6s every day with a recip. saw.

We all have to match the tool the job. Cutting a 4X6 with a recip saw would easily warrant a 4/6 tpi or similar. A 3 to 5tpi would always be my first choice for cutting a 4x6 if using any recip saw.

The dewalt forum video you are referring to has some merit. It does show viewers what happens when you don't select the right blade for the job.

Going to the extreme, we could go to a fine tpi to intentionally handicap the 1/2" stroke saw even more so then in the Dewalt forum video. This would give the impression of even a greater difference in the two saws. Not a helpful or a real life measurement of what the compact saw can do but, technically accurate on paper and by your way of thinking.

Experienced users know the saws are not the same but they also know when on the job they do what it takes to get done. I'm just showing, in experienced hands, the Ridged compact can get the big cuts done just like any larger saw, just not quite as fast, but at least twice as fast as the Dewalt forum video lead viewers to believe.

If a person needs to cut heavy lumber faster, then a larger saw is for them.

My feelings are, if I get to a point where I would cut a lot of thick lumber or similar, then I would not bother using a battery powered tool at all.

In Reply to All

Watch the two videos and decide for yourself whats good for me is just that, and nothing more.

The Ridgid Demolition 4/6 tpi blade is a great blade for any experienced user to have with your saw at all times. I recommend everyone give it a try. It’s a great cutting blade; I would not be without it. ( I'm sure Dewalt and everyone else must make a 4/6tpi or close to it.)

I suggest that anyone that thinks the two saws are similar in size, go try them, and don't let me, or anyone else judge the factor for you.

I found in real world use, that the size difference was great enough to make me go with the smaller saw, giving the fact I can still cut the same stuff as the larger saws. We all know it won't cut as fast or as long, but watch my video. Decide for yourself.

The videos purpose is to help make someone’s shopping process a little more informed.

Ken
                      Last edited by kheim; 09-14-2009, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Ken after doing a moderate demo job with this saw this weekend, including cutting many nails and small bolts as well as several pressure treated 4x4s I am completely satisfied with the performance for my needs. It has plenty of power and as both videos show can make some substantial cuts. Your video tries to give a more accurate view of the saws potential by using the best blade for the task at hand. IMHO no big deal. Don't most of us swap blades to the best one for the job, particularly with the newer models that do not require tools to change?

All the above aside a heavy duty corded saw is the best tool for heavier demo even with the impressive capabilities of the latest battery operated saws.

Comment

I know that this is an older thread about the one-handed recip saw, but I just acquired one at a smoking price from my local HD in a 3 piece R9691 combo kit (recip, autoshift drill, radio) that had no batteries for a total of $79. I had been carrying a Black & Decker Handisaw CHS6000 in my general tool box to cut smaller stock, plastic pipe, cooper pipe, and drywall cutouts for electrical boxes, etc. as I could use it with one hand and control the item being cut with the other. The B&D uses jig saw blades and if you nursed it and had the time, you could get work done. It didn't take up a lot of room and was lighter than lugging a full-sized recip saw for such minor use. In comes the Ridgid one-handed recip saw and I am instantly ahead of the game. Not only is it light weight, doesn't take up a lot of room and can make any cut with one hand, but it uses regular recip saw blades and is fairly aggressive in its' cuts so for my smaller jobs I don't even have to carry a full-size recip on the job site. In a typical day, I cut electrical conduit, copper tubing, rain gutters, and cut out a couple of doors in their jams for replacement. It was a pleasure to have the available power and a variable trigger to control that power. It handled the door demolition handily and never did bind even when it was in "pinched" situations. It doesn't replace a full-sized, but will allow you to go into a job situation with a light weight tool that can handle a heavy weight job. Certainly glad to have this.

Comment

It is an AWESOME saw. Had to cut off some low hanging downspout last week - the one-handed recip allows you to hold/put pressure on something light to allow you to snip it off fast. A regular two-handed recip is a problem for light stuff with no weight resistance.

The recip is something you'll use the odd time(at least in my case), but you appreciate what it does even more because of that.
                            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

This tool is Bad@$$!!! I work as a plumber, and recently bought the corded version to replace my 9 month old Milwaukee Hackzall that just died. This owns the Hackzall completely!!!

The 12v Hackzall eats batteries FAST! Also due to the design of the tool, the vents for the motor are closer to the blade compared to the Fuego saw. This makes the Hackzall very vulnerable to water intake. The Fuego vents are at the opposite end, a much safer location.

The stroke is perfect for a tool this size, and the tabs on the blade fastener are a step up to the traditional Milwaukee design. The LED lights up a dark space, great for working under cabinets and in walls. The 4 amp motor is enough to cut 3/4 galvinized steel and unistrut for a gas line I ran a couple weeks ago and gentle enough to cut copper manifolds without wrecking havoc.

I give it 4 alloy pipe wrenches!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X