X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Power Planer

I have hung quite a few doors over the years and it's one of the best "quick jobs" I run across. I had a Bosch....don't remember what model, but it cost about $150 several years ago. I liked it because it had an adjustable fence. Unfortunately it got stolen. I could go with the similar version, but I'm checking options and opinions first.

I still have the ridgid 18V planer and it's does fair, but I don't have an adjustable fence and there are times when I just want a corded tool for power and continuous use.

So, right now I am trying to decide. I can go with the bosch. Really it's the only brand new planer that I'm considering unless someone else has a suggestion.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1594K-6-...2009016&sr=8-1

Or I might spring for a used Porta Plane. They are expensive, but if I'm patient I might score a decent one for less than $200.

Another option is just to catch whatever I can (hitachi, makita, dewalt, bosch, frued...etc) on ebay as cheap as I can until find something I like better.

Re: Hand Power Planer

I've got the Makita and hate it for many reasons. If I ever decide to buy another the Bosch is the only one that I've looked at that appeals to me. I especially like the right and left side chip ejection feature.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have a DeWalt that I don't like for similar reasons. I
      Googled Porta Plane and got numerous hits for prices under $200. I don't think I would settle for less considering the uses that you may put one through.

Comment

I have an old DeWalt. It is a real pain to set up the blades when changing them, and nothing known to me will fit the odd shaped exhaust port, so vac pick-up is out of the question. I mainly use it to initially flatten out chain-sawed logs for benches, etc (outdoors). For doors, I use hand planes. Quick, quiet, less chance of really screwing it up, and the mess is not thrown 20 feet away. If there is more than 1/8" to take off, I start with a circular saw and edge guide.

JMTCW

Go
        Last edited by Gofor; 09-03-2009, 09:06 PM.
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

The porta plane is hands down the best planer for door work. It has 3 drawbacks IMO.

1-The fence doesn't come off like other planes if you need to use the plane without it.
          2-planing width is more limited and you can't rabbit.
          3-The large size makes it tough to use in certain applications.

Maybe that's 4 reasons.

You can get that bosch for $120 if you don't mind a reconditioned model.

Comment

I love my Bosch..................

Big G

Comment

I have the Bosch too and I'm happy with it. But it's the only one I've owned. If you read the reviews on Amazon, some people complain about the base being out of square and causing your plane to be slightly beveled. I haven't noticed this myself and think they may be tilting the planer as they go.

Comment

Well, I got the Bosch during the sale with another tool and saved $75 on the two of them.

AND I picked up the Rockwell on ebay for $65 + 15 shipping.

I think I'll be pretty well equipped with the ridgid 18V, the Bosch, and the rockwell. I just need to sharpen the spiral bit or buy another. They aren't cheap.
                Attached Files

Comment

I've got the 18/24 volt MaxSelect planer. I'm fairly happy with it, as I only use it for 20 or 30 passes about once every 4 to 6 months or so. It's a fairly decent tool, and it does come with a little fence. However, I only really use it for really sparse work. Others that I know that use planers more frequently all go for the Bosch corded version.

Comment

I goolgle a planer just like bosch,and I understand some about it ,they tell me that the price are half of the bosch.and the quality was as same as the bosch.it come from China,and I think it maybe came from a OEM factory of bosch in China.
                    It came from:
                    http://www.pupower.com/power%20tools...%20planer.html

Comment

Originally posted by aong View Post
                      I goolgle a planer just like bosch,and I understand some about it ,they tell me that the price are half of the bosch.and the quality was as same as the bosch.it come from China,and I think it maybe came from a OEM factory of bosch in China.
                      It came from:
                      That tool LOOKS like the bosch on the outside. I don't know that the internals are even close.

It does NOT have the bevel fence that the bosch comes with and is about a $40 if you bought it by itself. I also don't see where it comes with a case or a chip bag.

Half price sounds good until you start adding up what is missing.

Comment

Seems like a spam post.

Comment

Originally posted by aong View Post
                          It came from:

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X