X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2500 that will not hold sandpaper

I have a R2500 sander that has been used no more than 10 times and cannot keep the sand paper attached. The spring clips which hold the paper to the pad will spring loose within 30 seconds of starting the sander.
    I have tried to adjust the tension by very slightly bending the clips but nothing seems to work!
    Has anyone else run into this problem?
    If so how did you resolve it?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    Thanks, Don

Re: R2500 that will not hold sandpaper

I've had my R2500 since 2003 and have used it quite a bit with no problem. Is the base on yours chipped or worn? There should be fairly well defined ridges that hold the spring clips in place, just below where the plastic tabs (spring handles?) are. I can see that if they are chipped or somehow worn, the springs could easily pop out of lock position.

If you're still within the 90-day period after purchase, I'd return it and try another one. If not, I'd have a service center take a look at it. Obviously something is wrong and I can't envision anything that you'd do to the clip itself would help keep it in the locked position.

Sorry this isn't more helpful,

CWS

ps, Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

Comment

I second what CWSmith says. I too have this item, and no issues. Check for the ridges, and if not, if they've worn away, look at getting this serviced (providing that its still in it's 3-year warranty / LLSA timeline).

Comment

I wish I had found this forum a long time go. I also bought a Ridgid R2500 sander and have the same problem with the spring clips not holding sandpaper. I called the Ridgid customer service number only to be referred to a local authorized service center. All he could do for me was replace the base of the sander which included the spring clips. It has not helped. I think this sander is a piece of junk. The thing started malfunctioning almost out of the box and I got no satisfaction from Ridgid. It was purchased in March of 2009 and is still under warranty. Any suggestions?

Comment

Sounds like that repair should have fixed the issue. This sander has a very, VERY strong and firm spring-clip mechanism that tightens down to hold the 1/4 sheet pieces of sandpaper in place. I would think that the service center would have checked to ensure that it was holding firmly enough. That said, some service centers are not the greatest - you may wish to seek further assistance at a different service center, just to see if there is a difference in repair. If you do that, they can tell you if the fix was correct or not, and/or if there is an issue instead with a particular usage rather than the tool.

Hope this helps.

Comment

See my post below from 6/27/2010. I've also had this problem. I brought my sander back to the local service center. They called Ridgid and Ridgid will replace the sander. That's the good news. The bad news is I've been waiting for a month to get a new sander. What does it take for a company to stick an address label on a box and send it to UPS?? I've noticed in Home Depot that Ridgid has redesigned the paper clamping system. I'll tell you this - I wonj't buy another Ridgid product if this is what I have to go through. DO YOU HEAR THIS RIDGID - I HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS!!!! I am not a happy guy.

Comment

Geroge,

I'm sorry that you are having a problem with your R2500. As I mentioned previously, I have good wear with mine; which is now around six or seven years old. I think they did a redesign since my unit and perhaps that is where the problem lies.

I do understand your frustration and I think I would pursue the replacement that you expecting and deserve. Can the service center give you a contact name?

One other avenue you might want to pursue is calling Ridgid Customer Service direct and perhaps talk to one of the Ridgid/Ryobi field guys the next time they come into Home Depot. Your local HD should have some idea of their schedule. I don't think the local rep is empowered to replace the tool, but they can certainly give you some tips and perhaps a reference to pursue.

Just remember, they are guys like you and me... just doing their job, so don't take your frustration out on them, as you'll get a lot more help if you don't put them on the defensive. (No disrespect meant by that, but sometimes we all get angry and loose our cool.)

Good luck and hope this works out quickly for you,

CWS

Comment

In 2005 or so, I received the R2500 as a promotion when I bought the Ridgid belt sander. I took lots of tweaking to get it to run smoothly and to hold the paper.

The metal clips that hold the paper are slanted and when in place, they bow the plastic base. This made the sander hop around, and it gouged the work piece when I applied more pressure to control the jumping around. To fix this, I ran the sander without paper over some 120 grit taped to a flat surface. The base is still bowed, but the rubber pad is flat.

When the metal clips began popping off of the side of the pad gouging my work I found a fix. With the clips disengaged, bend the lever portions inward and downward to give them more tension. This has worked, but it bowed the base more requiring further flattening of the rubber pad. I was so fed up with the sander I replaced it with a Porter Cable 1/4 sheet sander. It was smooth and malfunction free from the start. I don't use the R2500 anymore except for very rough, low grit sanding. I'm glad it was free. Or maybe it was free for a reason. Also, 14,000 opm seems too fast for a fininsh sander.

P.S. My Ridgid R2611 also broke on me with moderate use (1/4 inch orbit setting quite working). No more Ridgid sanders for me.
                Last edited by erngum; 09-01-2010, 12:59 AM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Does anyone from Ridgid follow these forums? If not, we are wasting our time and they are losing out on some important feedback. I've spoken to Ridgid customer service at least 5 times in the past week. Never once did anyone ever give me some positive feedback like "We're sorry you are having a problem" or "Don't worry we'll get it taken care of". NEVER!! I'm beginning to think that Ridgid customer service doesn't really care about making things right. Does anyone know of anyone at Ridgid that I can express my concerns to?

Comment

George,

So what are the folks at Ridgid customer service telling your (you said you called them five times in the last week)?

Like, how are they "taking care of it?" Are they giving your a time frame and are they giving your specific steps to follow in order to get satisfacition? Did you get an "incident number" in which you can refer when you call them back?

Obviously, "Don't worry, we're getting it taken care of" isn't at all helpful if you are still left wondering... and even more frustrated.

So, maybe you need to contact them again, and get some specifics... like "what exactly are you doing for me and my problem, because I've spent my hard earned money and so far I have your product which isn't working and I'm getting the feeling nobody there cares!!!"

In addition, if you are not satisfied with the response that you are getting from the Customer Service phone rep, don't hesitate to ask that your complaint be "elevated" and/or ask to speak to a supervisor or manager.

As I mentioned in my previous post (number 7, of this thread), the Ridgid rep does visit your store often... ask the service desk when he is expected to come in again... and leave them your telephone number so they can contact you.

Finally, to answer your question: Yes, there are a couple of "Ridgid" people that visit this forum regularly. Hopefully they will see your post.

CWS

Comment

Most of my calls to Ridgid are for the purpose of learning if they received a fax from my local repair shop for a "tool replacement" form. He has faxed it 3 times and they finally received it. However, the last time it was faxed they (Ridgid) finally told me that they (customer service) are not the ones who process such requests. They finally gave me the name and number of the person who does. Called her on Saturday morning and she sounded vague about whether the tool will be replaced or not let alone when. She could not or would not tell me if it would be days, weeks or months. Every time I speak to someone at Ridgid I am left with the distinct feeling that they are not there to serve my interests. I agree, telling me not too worry will not help but they do not even seem to be interested in reassuring me that they'll fix the problem. I will call them again if I haven't gotten any satisfaction by the end of the week and I'll ask to speak with a supervisor. And I will followup with a call to Home Depot to speak with the Ridgid rep.

Comment

George,

Man, I really have to empathize with you. I can feel your frustration and you are definitely getting the runaround, IMHO.

I haven't had a need or the experience with any of my Ridgid tools and must admit that I'm pretty satisfied with the many that I own. Certainly there are little things, but nothing so far that has outright been a nagging defect.

I did have a problem with a Ryobi jig saw (the current model). Design-wise it should have been a very good tools, but laser was way off and couldn't be properly aligned. The base shoe, constantly shifted, and within a couple of hours use, the plastic blade-holder simply flew off and with much manipulation, I could refit it, it fell off a couple more times. "Frustrating" doesn't begin to describe it.

In that particular case, one of the sales guys at Home Depot simply gave me a replacement! That proved to be a much better tool, even though it's exactly the same model.

The point is, the least likely place, took care of me! So, continue to pursue this. And, I wish you good luck!!!

CWS

Comment

FINALLY, received a new sander. And it was one with the newly designed paper clamp system. Shortly after I received it I was at Home Depot where I ran into the Ridgid Rep. I explained the whole problem to him and he did not seem to pleased to hear about my complaints about Ridgid customer service although now I've made contact with him and will use the contact in the future if necessary.

By the way, I came home and used the new sander some and it seems to work as it should. In fact, I think I noticed that the old sander vibrated so much to the point of being difficult to hold onto whereas the new one does not.

Comment

George,

I'm very happy to read that you have finally received a new sander and that it is performing to your satisfaction. Also, it's nice that you now have a contact via the local Ridgid rep. I've always found the reps to be very helpful, quite friendly, and willing to help where they can. I think Ridgid does a good job in their choice of these people. Now if only they could clean up the Service Center problems and maybe add a few more.

Here in my area of NY state, they have changed a couple of times in the last year or so.

Best of luck with your new sander,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                            X