Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the EB4424 for sharpening

Hi Guys,

Have any of you used the EB4424 oscillating sander for sharpening tools? I've got a few ideas for different jigs that would make this work for me and I've found a few sources on the web for 4" x 24" belts up to 600 grit.

my jig idea is to simply fasten a v-grooved piece of stock to a miter guage. This will let me hold a gouge or skew at the proper angle to the belt sander.

Has anyone tried this? What are your thoughts before I spend a few bucks on these sanding belts?

Regards...

Re: Using the EB4424 for sharpening

600 may be ok for a rough sharpen but way to course IMO to be used for a final finish on a blade.

Comment

Re: Using the EB4424 for sharpening

Good idea Sarge, but I agree with Wayne that you would need a much finer grit paper to take the edge to anywhere near sharp.

I think what you propose would be a good way to get a bevel that was way off back to a starting angle and then finish with the scary sharp method progressing your way through finer papers.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
      X