X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid RD 8000 Generator

Does anyone have any experience with this generator??? Any idea who makes it???? any idea who would service this generator under warranty??? out of warranty???

Thanks

Re: Rigid RD 8000 Generator

I'm not at all sure about the generator, but here's some info about the engine that powers this model. I hope this is helpful.

General - http://www.robinamerica.com/pfeatures.aspx?pid=52

Owner's manual - http://www.robinamerica.com/media/ma...0392847574.pdf

Service manual (very worthwhile to download and print out) - http://www.robinamerica.com/media/ma...3279361250.pdf

Parts list for most versions - http://www.robinamerica.com/media/ma...9531658750.pdf

Comment

The unit is made by TTI, the folks who also own Ryobi, Milwaukee, and Homelite. Altaquip is the largest service agent with 27 locations in the US.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I just bought a RD8000 on Nov. 27. Engine is built by Subaru, phone 800-277-6246 and is 14 Hp. I am very disappointed with Ridgid in that I bought this unit because it has a portable control panel that is advertised to extend (with the help of additional power cords) up to 75', your ability to stop and START the unit remotely. What you are not told is that it will only stop the engine. Unless the engine is recently warmed up, you must manually choke the unit, crank it, close the choke, then you can return to your starting point with the remote. Since I was buying this to run a hunting cabin and needed the convenince of a true stop/start function, I more or less wasted my money and/or time. Both Ridgid and Subaru say there is no remote choking system available for this Model.

Anyone out there have any suggestions? I know some sort of servo motor hook up may work, but I would have no clue on how to make this work. I believe Ridgid is guilty of false advertising.

Comment

It appears we both bought a commercial use tool (the rd8000). I too am wondering just what use the "remote" start function is good for if you still have to physically maneuver the choke for starting in temps below 50f. An "autochoke" mechanism would make this unit perfect for both the professional contractor (whom I believe the unit was designed for) and the back up power home/cabin owner, like ourselves.

Having the remote unit in the house is a plus although. Running the power cords from it instead of through an open door or window is preferable. I've trained the bride to open the door of the shed (where the RD8000 lives), set the choke, mosy inside and fire it up, trundle back out to the shed and turn off the choke, re-enter the house and begin to plug in just about every appliance (one at a time) she needs. Then from the nicely chilled refer, she brings me a brew.

Cannot get much more automatic than that imo.

Doug k

Comment

It's easily remedied with a 12v pull-in solenoid (think automobile door lock actuator) wired in to the starter circuit and a small extension spring.
            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Can you be a bit more specific. I need to do something like this to hook up the generator to a renewable energy system (my solar power system as a backup generator). It need to autostart when the batteries get low, but with the choke having to be set manually, its not possible.

Roy

Comment

Originally posted by bbrown View Post
                I just bought a RD8000 on Nov. 27. Engine is built by Subaru, phone 800-277-6246 and is 14 Hp. I am very disappointed with Ridgid in that I bought this unit because it has a portable control panel that is advertised to extend (with the help of additional power cords) up to 75', your ability to stop and START the unit remotely. What you are not told is that it will only stop the engine. Unless the engine is recently warmed up, you must manually choke the unit, crank it, close the choke, then you can return to your starting point with the remote. Since I was buying this to run a hunting cabin and needed the convenince of a true stop/start function, I more or less wasted my money and/or time. Both Ridgid and Subaru say there is no remote choking system available for this Model.

Anyone out there have any suggestions? I know some sort of servo motor hook up may work, but I would have no clue on how to make this work. I believe Ridgid is guilty of false advertising.
                i think it is mostly a stop function, plus safety switch that must be on to start the unit.
                not 100% sure though.

Comment

I'm in the process of brewing up the fix posted by JOE here.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...07&postcount=7

A well executed solution imo. And also imo, one that Rigid should have implemented with this tool....

Doug k

Comment

Really looks like a good solution. If anyone is able to get the plans and parts list (or wants to sell a completed part), I would be intrested.

Then i just need to figure out how to get a 2 or 3 wire AGS from my inverter/charger hooked up to it .. but one step at a time.

Roy

EDIT: Here is a link to the power door lock actuator on ebay
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...Q5fAccessories
                    Last edited by RoySalisbury; 02-24-2011, 10:46 PM. Reason: Added ebay link

Comment

Working...
                    X