X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New one hand cordless recip saw batt life

Before purchasing in a kit would like to get an idea of how much run time each of the compact 18V li batteries will give the one handed reciprocating saw with moderate load usage and a full charge? Also I assume I could use the larger capacity 18vli batts or am I wrong. If battery life is adequate this would be an optimal tool for my needs. Fingers crossed.

Re: New one hand cordless recip saw batt life

We're all wondering about the battery life right now. It's being discussed in the other "Portable Power Tools > Power Tool Discussion Forum" area, in another thread right now. We're waiting for word on longevity.

Comment

My guess is that if you work it hard, under load, say cutting 4 inch diameter logs, it will last somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes.

I don't have this saw. I have the Ryobi saw, and their NiCd batteries are of similar size (about 1.5 Ah - maybe a little larger than the Ridgid compact batteries), and I can go through them quick when working the recip saw.

With 2 batteries, with a 20 minute charge time, you will find there are occasions when you have down time and you will be waiting for the battery to come off the charger, if you only have 2 batteries.

If you find the saw handy, you will find times that 2 batteries are not enough.

Comment

If you are cutting 4" logs you are using the wrong tool.

When I think of that tool I think about cutting PVC, sheet rock, very light demo, and light pruning. Possible a few other things.

The tool looks awesome, but it scream "light duty". I will own it soon.

Comment

You have a large number of variables to consider....

1. what are you cutting
          2. run time of each cut
          3. condition and type blade used
          4. age and condition of the battery
          5. type battery nicad or lithium-ion
          6. how much abuse will be experienced

Any of these will effect the total run time of the tool.

Let's say you have a 3AH lithium-on battery that is fully charged and in "great condition"

The corded version [R3030] no load 3500rpm 4 amps
          The battery version [R86447] no load 3500rpm 18VDC

If you run the tool continuously under load I would estimate 45 minutes to one hour of use.

If you are cutting small stuff and short cutting cycles [like one minute or less] I would estimate one to two hours of use.

On the other hand just for discussion, if you are using the corded version under the same parameters your run time would be unlimited!!!!

I have the 18/24VDC impact driver. I was able to pre-drill, and screw 624 1 5/8" redwood deck screws using a single 18VDC 3AH lithium-ion battery I was securing 5/8" redwood fence pickets to 2x6 pressure treated lumber.

The run time was short, drill 12 holes then install the 12 screws. minimal stress or torque was the normal parameter.

A different project had me screw #10x 2 1/2" long square drive flat head stainless screws into "old" lumber. Using the same tool and a fresh new battery I only lasted about 45 minutes or 125 screws.

My point is I really doubt anyone can give you a hard core answer.

Cactus Man

Comment

I'm in the process of making a video to post later on this forum. On a new battery with only one charge. (so its really not at 100% yet.) I was able to cut a 4X6 4 times with maybe 5 minutes rest in between. (about 4 minutes run time). So the 10 minutes for intermitent use sounds right on. This should improve a little with a few charge/discharge cycles. At this time the battery itself would kick out because of heat, so I don't know how much run time is left in them. The saw did not get more then warm. This saw has some power and it really works those little 1.5ah batteries. I think there are some 3ah batteries out there. Those would work much better in this saw if you plan on a lot of heavy cutting.

Update: For those interested a R86447 video is now posted in the (Power Tool Discussion Forum). Don't expect much, it's pretty basic.

It's post #8 http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27899

Ken
            Last edited by kheim; 09-10-2009, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Kheim, I assume you are using the Lithium compact batteries that come with the saw. Lithium batteries do not improve with additional cycles, it is the NiCd batteries that supposedly improve after several cycles. The li batts should reach max capability on the first charge. If anything, the first charge should be it's 'best' capability, as they start to permanently degrade after that; although you should not notice any difference from one charge to the next.

Thanks for running the test. I know there are lots of variables, but I think you have shown that if the saw gets heavy use, you are going to go through batteries quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Calder View Post
                Kheim, I assume you are using the Lithium compact batteries that come with the saw. Lithium batteries do not improve with additional cycles, it is the NiCd batteries that supposedly improve after several cycles. The li batts should reach max capability on the first charge. If anything, the first charge should be it's 'best' capability, as they start to permanently degrade after that; although you should not notice any difference from one charge to the next.

Thanks for running the test. I know there are lots of variables, but I think you have shown that if the saw gets heavy use, you are going to go through batteries quick.

Thank You very much for the correction, Lithiums are new to me. This is what makes forums so usefull and interesting.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                X