X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless Finish Nailer

Anyone have any experience with Ridgid's R250AF18 Finish Nailer? Would appreciate any comments - positive and/or negative before I buy.

Thanks,

Al

Re: Cordless Finish Nailer

It's a good little tool. A few years back, I had picked up a 3 tool kit, with the finish nailer, 18g brad nailer, and the little 12v pivoting screwdriver. Only kept the brad nailer, and sold off the other two tools. But Ridgid's finish nailer was a well-functioning and well-designed little tool.

Comment

Now hold on a freakin' minute. I just noticed your headline said cordless. I thought you were talking about the R250SFA - that's the one I had in the 3 tool kit. I just took a look for this tool - SWEET! An 18 volt lithium ion battery-powered nailer.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R250AF18...-Finish-Nailer

THANK YOU RIDGID! YOU HAVE ANSWERED SOME OF OUR PRAYERS! WE'VE ALL BEEN ASKING FOR MORE 18 AND/OR 24 VOLT CORDLESS TOOLS - THIS LOOKS TO BE AN AWESOME START!

Okay, now that I have that out of the way (pay no attention to the stiffy), this looks like a sweet design. Personally, it looks like a bit of a colour change - I like the orange body of the tool line-up, with the grey rubber overmolding. With this nailer being primarily black, with the grey overmolding and just some orange highlights, it seems to be a slight change. But it does work - if maybe this is the start of a few new 18v tools, especially in the pneumatic tool types, this design works. I like that it still primarily has the same tool shaping, and the lines are similar to the other stuff released in the last year or two. The battery mount looks very advantageous as well - not sticking awkwardly out the back in the normal slide-in configuration. The dual LED light looks perfect (appears to be on both sides - excellent), and I like that it appears to have an on/off button for it, to save battery life when it's not needed. A lot of the other design features (belt clip, no-mar pads, tool-less jam release, etc.) are some of what I like best about my Ridgid brad nailer - these are simple design elements, but very worthwhile, especially when not many nailers have these items.

But, the one drawback that I see is that it only comes with a "contractor's bag", and not a hard case. DAMMIT!!! I personally hate the bags. I mean, I have one big one that I got with a kit, that I use to carry all my lose miscellaneous stuff. But I like the hard cases, especially with the sanders and pneumatics.

I'm thinking that if there's an 18 volt cordless model coming out in the stapler and brad nailer, that I may get rid of those pneumatic tools that I have, and get these new cordless ones, if the performance is somewhat comparable. I'd love to go pure cordless, and not have to run air hoses for little odd jobs nailing/stapling.

But, please Ridgid, oh please, at least come out with the hard cases that we can get. Even as an add-on purchase afterwards for those that want. For example, a larger hard case even to hold all 3 tools (finish nailer, brad nailer, and stapler) if they come out in this 18 volt cordless configuration. I'd love that!

Okay, so now that I'm done drooling, sorry Gartanya - obviously, with this being a new tool (anybody have any ideas on release date??), and me blabbing on like this, I haven't had a chance to use it yet. So, I can't really help you out with much in the likes of usage feedback.

But, if I'm lucky, I may get to play with one soon. (Hint, hint, nudge, nudge - Josh, ProBrand, any chances that we can have one of these to play with at the RoundUp????)

Comment

God, I haven't even used one or held the real thing yet, and just from the appearances and apparent design aspects of it, I'm in love.

I am such a consumer whore.

Great find, Gartanya.

Now, if this is a sign of things to come (Josh, ProBrand, or other Ridgid personel, PLEASE tell us this is true), then this could be a great product line for them. I'd love to see obviously this tool in the 18v lithium-ion. But I'd also like to see the 18 gauge brad nailer, and the narrow-crown finish stapler also added to these 18 volt lithium-ion cordless nailers.

Then, another great addition to these could be the larger framing nailers, and perhaps a coil nailer, both offered in a MaxSelect format, coming with 24 volt XLi batteries. This would be a great way to roll out the 24 volt XLi batteries in another product offering, and to get people invested in outfitting with this nailer line-up.

God, I hope it becomes a nailer line-up, and not just a solo tool. I understand that there has to be "test release/feelers" out there, but this would be a sure fire hit.

These would be an excellent competition to the fuel cell powered Paslode cordless nailers, and the DeWalt cordless nailers (which I find are way too big, bulky, and heavy, with their large and cumbersome 18 volt nicads). It would be a great market focus to add into the Ridgid lineup.

Comment

Just found this after Googling around a little bit, to see if there's any more info floating around out there:

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ibs/thursday.html

Looks like it's supposed to retail for $299, and it was supposed to come out in May. I haven't seen it anywhere yet, so who knows if it's out, and where it may be. I've seen some talk about it on another contractor's forum, with users saying that they picked it up in July. I don't see any listings for it on Home Depot's webpage, so it might just depend on the regions and the individual stores.

But, the article also says that it's claimed by Ridgid that this thing will do 500 nails on a single charge (and that's the compact version of the 18 volt lithium ion battery that it comes with). If the real world performance of this thing is even 1/2 of that, I'd be a happy man. And, to top it off, it looks to be about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds lighter than competitors (Paslode, DeWalt). Sweet.

Comment

they are in all 7 of the HDs that are within 30 mins of me. no displays, but they are almost always stuck up in the overheads in the air nailer area. seems like the staff thinks they are air powered finishing guns and not different in that they are battery powered. i saw these discussed in another thread on this forum as they have been available for at least 4 or 5 months. and no need for a gas cartridge like paslode.
            Last edited by FINER9998; 09-07-2009, 09:53 AM.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

If you behave yourself at the Roundup, maybe Ridgid will let you play with one

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                If you behave yourself at the Roundup, maybe Ridgid will let you play with one
                That's what I'm hoping - fingers crossed. Even if they don't stock/have them in Elyria (as OWT is out of South Carolina, and they handle much of the power tool line-up), I'm hoping they can still get their hands on one for us to tinker with.

I might have something up my sleeve that I can bribe them with.

Man, this is going to be a very cigar-expensive trip!

Comment

Thanks for everyone's comments about Ridgid's Cordless Nailer and especially your searching around Canuchsartech. I should have mentioned it in my first post - our local Home Depot in So. Calif. does carry it and has a special this week of $75 off of the $299 price. So it sounds like I had better jump on it. Only hangup is where it is mfd. We try to buy U.S. made products to support our mfrs and it looks like this Ridgid tool may be made in China. Hmmmmmmmmmm..

Comment

Originally posted by gartanya View Post
                    Thanks for everyone's comments about Ridgid's Cordless Nailer and especially your searching around Canuchsartech. I should have mentioned it in my first post - our local Home Depot in So. Calif. does carry it and has a special this week of $75 off of the $299 price. So it sounds like I had better jump on it. Only hangup is where it is mfd. We try to buy U.S. made products to support our mfrs and it looks like this Ridgid tool may be made in China. Hmmmmmmmmmm..
                    For $75 off, that's a sweet little tool. Heck, if you already have other Ridgid stuff, you could sell off the battery and charger for a couple bucks (as long as you already have these batteries and chargers). That's the way I'd probably do it. And for $75 off, that would work out to just over a $100 for this tool - a great price.

I may have to poke around in the HD's in Michigan and Ohio when I go to the RoundUp this week. If other spots have this $75 off pricing, I may just have to jump on that - at least, that's what I'll tell the Mrs.

Maybe I could buy them direct when I'm at the RoundUp, too. I wonder if that's a possibility, and what the price would be...

Comment

I just looked through the HD eFlyer, and I see what you were talking about with the $75 dollars off (Ultimate Power Deal savings, up to $300 off tool purchases). I see that these sale prices are until Sept. 16th.

I just may have to pick up this tool (if the bankbook allows), and will have to give it a try, and then review it on here for all.

Comment

I'll have one at the Roundup we can demo. Look forward to your thoughts. Thanks to everyone for the posts and the interest.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
                          I'll have one at the Roundup we can demo. Look forward to your thoughts. Thanks to everyone for the posts and the interest.
                          Excellent. Thanks ProBrand - I definitely appreciate that. We'll see you shortly.

Comment

I found myself in need of a new 15 gauge finish nailer and was intrigued by the cordless model. Home depot had a great deal going through today and I bought the pneumatic model but then purchased the cordless model this afternoon. I charged the battery, cranked it up, and shot a 2 1/2 in nail in a 2x4. The motor takes a second or two to wind up and then plants the nail. First few shots and all was well. Then I went for a 2 3/4 inch piece of walnut and the nailer left a good 1/4 inch sticking out the top. I tried several more being careful to control recoil and holding the walnut tightly, same problem. I checked depth adjustment and it was set to the max. What a disappointment! Next I got out the pneumatic one and bam! It did the job. The cordless one is going back tomorrow. I own several Ridgid products and they all are great but this one needs more work. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by egtrapshooter View Post
                              I found myself in need of a new 15 gauge finish nailer and was intrigued by the cordless model. Home depot had a great deal going through today and I bought the pneumatic model but then purchased the cordless model this afternoon. I charged the battery, cranked it up, and shot a 2 1/2 in nail in a 2x4. The motor takes a second or two to wind up and then plants the nail. First few shots and all was well. Then I went for a 2 3/4 inch piece of walnut and the nailer left a good 1/4 inch sticking out the top. I tried several more being careful to control recoil and holding the walnut tightly, same problem. I checked depth adjustment and it was set to the max. What a disappointment! Next I got out the pneumatic one and bam! It did the job. The cordless one is going back tomorrow. I own several Ridgid products and they all are great but this one needs more work. Hope this helps.
                              I'm sorry, but not even a 15 gauge pneumatic is intended to shoot that deep into solid walnut. Just because your air nailer managed it doesn't mean that it would hold up over a period of time doing that.

Unrealistic expectation.

Comment

Working...
                              X