Lifetime warranty ?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifetime warranty ?????

I purchased R84001 drill that came with lifetime warranty. I called customer service to honor the warranty but I was told I need the receipt from 2004 and they will not honor the warranty. I do not have the receipt but the seriel # states the year it was built. LifeTime Warrnaty means lifetime.. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Re: Lifetime warranty ?????

That lifetime warranty was offered only to the original purchasers of those tools. May I ask how you intended to receive warranty service down the road without the receipt?
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

interesting. you say it was purhcased in 2004. the ridgid lifetime service agreement, which seems to have commenced in 2005, covers lifetime service, provided the tool is regitered in to the program. her is the text of the LSA:

http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

was there a different program prior to this?
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
        interesting. you say it was purhcased in 2004. the ridgid lifetime service agreement, which seems to have commenced in 2005, covers lifetime service, provided the tool is regitered in to the program. her is the text of the LSA:

http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

was there a different program prior to this?
        Yes there was a different program. The early tools had more of a true lifetime warranty rather than the LSA. It disappeared for a while, sales dropped and the LSA came into being.

At least that's my recollection. I actually rushed to by a few tools while I could still get the old agreement.

Comment

is that the same program that covers all the older, gray colored power tools, like the 2412/24 and 3612 table saws?
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I couldn't answer that. I just know there was a great warranty.....it went away......and something very similar to it came back.

Comment

Originally posted by UKFT View Post
              I purchased R84001 drill that came with lifetime warranty. I called customer service to honor the warranty but I was told I need the receipt from 2004 and they will not honor the warranty. I do not have the receipt but the seriel # states the year it was built. LifeTime Warrnaty means lifetime.. VERY DISAPPOINTING.
              Yet another poster that is upset that they apparently didn't follow the registration rules. (Again, it's so hard to really be able to tell, with a poster coming on here, spouting off one solitary "Ridgid sucks" posting, and then not giving us any further details to maybe potentially help). But, at first glance with this post, this is one that messed up on the LLSA registration, based on the tool model and the date. Please, be very disappointed that you did not hang onto a copy/photocopy of the receipt, and that you did not apparently register the tools as required. Follow the rules and you're set.

And again, it's not a "lifetime warrnaty [sic]", it's a Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. It's not automatic - you must do your part to be covered.

Comment

My 3612 was originally covered under that Full Lifetime Warranty offered by Emerson. That warranty, unlike the LLSA, only covered "defects in workmanship and material". It did not cover repair or replacement of anything due to normal wear and tear.

When the LLSA Program was introduced all Ridgid tools covered under the Emerson warranty were allowed to register into the LLSA Program which is what I and many others did. The LLSA is a much better deal than the Emerson Full Lifetime Warranty ever was.
                ================================================== ====
                All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

A little history here, on the heels of what Badger Dave has posted.

The "old" woodworking tools produced by/for Emerson Electric under the "Ridgid" brandname (which is owned by Emerson Electric), were only "stationary" tools, like the drill press, thickness planer, table saw, radial arm saw, bandsaw, jointer/planer, wood lathe, etc. were covered by the Ridgid "Lifetime Warranty". These tools were manufactured prior to 2003 and were gray in color with a red-orange trim. This "Lifetime Warranty", IIRC, covered defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the tool. It did not cover any component subject to normal wear and tear, as I recall. Also, while some of these tools may have been made directly by Emerson Electric, many were manufactured in Taiwan or elsewhere via sub-contract. There were no hand-held power tools in this product line, that I am aware off.

In 2003, Techtronics International (TTI) licensed the Ridgid brand name from Emerson Electric to use in the manufacturing of all Ridgid woodworking stationary and portable power tools. At that time, the tool color scheme was changed from gray with red-orange trim, to orange with gray trim. The stationary power tools retained the same designs, with little or no changes, other than the color scheme.

At the same time, a complete line of "portable" power tools were introduced, which included portable sanders, drills, angle grinder, recip saw, circular saw, and others similar products.

To promote this new Ridgid line of "orange" stationary and portable power tools, TTI introduced the 90-day Satisfaction Guarantee and 3-year warranty. To further promote "consumer confidence" in this new line of tools, TTI (under the Ridgid brand name) provided a "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement) for the first six or eight months after the initial product announcement. As I recall, that introductory "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" ended in late February, 2004. The requirements of that particular "LLSA" was simply having a receipt showing that the purchase was made within that introductory time period.

In the spring and fall 2004 Home Depot Tool Catalogs, there is no mention of any LLSA for Ridgid tools. However, in the second quarter of 2005, TTI (using the Ridgid brand-name) re-introduced the LLSA; AND, it made it retro-active to all purchases including those made in 2004. But, the main requirement was that all previous, current, and future tool purchases MUST be registered following the rules set forth in the LLSA statement.

With this new announcement, the LLSA was NOT automatic and it was NOT a given "warranty"; it was (and is) an "agreement" between the buyer and the manufacturer that lifetime service would be provided, if (and only "if") the buyer would take the neceassary step to register the tool.

As previously mentioned by Badger Dave, those of us who owned the old "gray" tools could even register for this new LLSA. (I registerd my 1550 "gray" drill press that I purchase in 2003 on close out.) I also took the necessary steps to register the three Ridgid tools that I had purchased during the original 2003 introduction.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I've sent a message through the system, but perhaps someone on here can help me as well. I purchased the Ridgid 6" Jointer and 13" Planer recently and need to register for the LSA. However, it requires you to submit the original UPC from the boxes. Unfortunately I don't have the UPCs any more because they were also required for the recent Friends & Family rebate promotion and I used the UPCs for that. Thankfully I made photocopies of the UPCs prior to sending out the rebate details, but that is all that I have.

So, is there any way to still properly register and qualify for the LSA?

Comment

HESCORES,

I seem to recall reading that Customer Service waived the UPC in response to other inquiries about the "Friends and Family" conflict....(for this short period only, as I understand it)

There is a thread somewhere here on the site but I don't remember exactly which one and I don't think it's worth searching for.

I believe the final consensus was that you should call Customer Service and explain the situation to them and get their advice. They are usually pretty friendly and understanding, and since this subject is fresh in thier minds, I suspect you'll just confirm the story.

As you may imagine, this confllict pops up every time a promotion comes into play. I would only hope that after confusing the registering customer more than a few times, they would try to head this kind of thing off.

Don't forget to register online first, get your ID number and then include that with the mail-in registration of your tools. It's not a requirement, but I do think it avoids any confusion and makes things easier to the registration staff. (Just my opinion of course.)

I hope this helps,

CWS
                      Last edited by CWSmith; 09-23-2009, 04:34 PM. Reason: Typographical errors, spelling, dumb keyboarder.

Comment

I agree with everything that CWSmith just stated.

I think the big thing that helps you, Hescores, is that you also photocopied your UPC codes - a lot of people don't bother to do that, and it's a huge advantage to have, especially in situations like this.

I also like what CWS said about registering online, and then doubling up and sending everything in, with your customer ID number wrote down on your registration card(s) as well, for better helping CS to complete your registration. I do this with all of my stuff, and I've had virtually no issues whatsoever with lost or incomplete registrations, etc., over the couple dozen tool and accessory registrations I've done (save for some eBox/Dashboard issues, but that's another story ).

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I did get a response from Ridgid and they pretty much confirmed what has been written already.

I did pre-register the product and have all that information to send along with their correspondence.

I learned long ago, after getting bit on one occasion, to photocopy everything before sending off for rebates, etc.

Looks like I wont have a problem with this afterall. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

I recycled my box before removing the UPC's and was told by customer service that I would be eligible for a Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. I don't know what that means but I'm guessing that its better than nothing at all. I'm still pretty happy with my saw (12" Slider) and I don't really have anyone to be upset with since It was my fault for discarding the box. Anyone have any experience with the Limited LSA?

Comment

The LLSA is the warranty that we have been talking about. There is no such animal as a life time warranty on Rigid tools but A LifeTime Service Agreement there is.
                              I will repeat what 3 different CS techs have told me in the last two months . If you dont have the upc then just the receipt will be good enough seeing is how on the receipt the upc # is on it right before the product and price.
                              Take a look at your receipt sometime !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X