X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12V driver stops working

My new 12V driver stops working in the middle of projects. I'm not doing anything too intense with it.

It works again when i change my battery out for a new one or if i allow a good amount of time to pass.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Re: 12V driver stops working

perhaps it's just time to recharge the battery.

Lithium Ion batteries have a circuit that just stops them when the charge drops to a certain point. They don't just start operating slower like NiCads.

Comment

Originally posted by alexr View Post
      My new 12V driver stops working in the middle of projects. I'm not doing anything too intense with it.

It works again when i change my battery out for a new one or if i allow a good amount of time to pass.

Alexr.......Welcome to the forum. The quality of assistance we can provide is usually directly proportional to the quality of information we are given.
      1-Please provide the brand and model of the tool?
      2-Please tell us how long you have had this tool?
      3-Please tell us the type of battery it uses ie:NiCad, Lithium Ion, etc?
      4-In the middle of a project has no meaning to us. Please tell us what you are doing and how long you do it before the tool stops working?
      5-How long do you wait before the battery is usable again? How long will it operate the tool after this wait before it quits again?
      Thanks....Ray

Comment

Hi. I am new here. I also just bought the Ridgid 12v Lithium Ion drill with 2 batts, flashlight, etc. Decent price, 139. I charged both batteries, no problems. I checked out the light, good, no problem. I try the drill, worked for about 10 seconds, and it locked up. No light, no power. Swapped batts....nothing. Let it sit for a while and it worked fine. Once more, I was using it easily to run in small 1/2 inch long screws on my R/C and it locked up again. Swapped to a another fully charged batt....nothing. I can't even turn it by hand. Locked up solid. This is 4 or 5 times now. Is it possible that this problem has to do with the "brake" on the electric motor?? I noticed when it IS working, when I let go of the trigger there are large green sparks seen through the side vent slots.
        Anybody have any ideas?? Or should I just return it for another one? OR, just buy a different brand?
        Thanks

Comment

Sorry I can't help you with your problem but I do have a similiar problem with my combo kit. I did not register it when it was purchased but having problems with the drill and two batteries that came with the kit. This is a 24V hammer drill/sawsall combo. I believe these tools come with a lifetime warranty but since I did not register it will I still be able to get repairs made? The drill has stopped working and neither of the batteries will charge. If someone can give me direction in this matter and how to proceed, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Comment

Not sure how helpful this is (actually, it's probably not helpful at all), but I experienced a similar problem with my little Ridgid 12-V Li-Ion compact driver a couple of week's ago.

It had been several weeks since I charged the battery, but I don't use this tool every day. Anyway, I was removing several 2" long wood screws. After several screws that withdrew fine, I hit one that appeared to overload the battery and it just stopped. I removed the bit from the screw and just activating the drill in my hand... it would run for a moment and then stop. I'd wait a few seconds and then pull the trigger again and it would repeat, turning a few quick revs and stop. Looked to me, like the battery recoverd it's charge after each release of the trigger and then quickly depletes on triggering.

My first thought was that the charge was just low and Li-Ion batteries react differently than Ni-Cads, which will just run down in a taper off-like fashion. The Li-Ion appears to act more like a capacitor charge/discharge reaction. So, perhaps it's something in the battery's protection circuitry.

I put the new battery on the drill and it worked fine. The "drained?" battery went on the charger and it acted normal, first evaluation and then charge by the charger's indicators. But an hour later the charger was still indicating a "charging" state. I left it alone and about a half hour later when I checked it was flashing that the battery was defective.

I took the battery off and later in the evening I stuck it back on the charger and it went through "evaluation" and "charging" and in just a couple of minutes it indicated that it was complete. I stuck that battery back on my driver and used it a few time the next day and it seemed to work fine!

NiCad batteries can take loads much better than Li-Ion batteries I think. From what I have read (and it's surely dated), Li-Ion batteries don't react at all well to heavy drain loads and have a tendency to heat up quickly and get dangerous. So, while I don't know for sure, I suspect that there must be some circuitry designed into the battery to prevent such occurances and perhaps what we are seeing is a breakdown there.

Of course, this doesn't help much when the task at hand is running a power tool. I do know that from my experience, my Ridgid 9.6 NiCad driver will easily out power the Ridgid 12-Volt Li-Ion driver. The charge won't last nearly as long, but the Ni-Cad will definitely give me decent torque and will not shut down as long as there's a charge available.

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 12-05-2009, 07:00 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I had a similar problem with the 12V Lithium-Ion 2-Speed Drill/Driver R92008. I purchased the combo kit (comes with the light) from Home Depot approximately 3 months ago. Just out of the blue a few weeks ago it simply quit. I thought it might be the battery so I put a new one in and charged the old one. I still experienced the same problem. It would work a few times and then quit. I would let it sit for a few seconds, try it again and it would work. This sequence happened several times. So, I took it back to Home Depot and they replaced it since it was still under the 90-day warranty. Well, I've had the new one now for about a week and it is doing the same thing. I'm taking it back today.

Comment

Now on my 2nd 12V drill within 6 months. The 1st one displayed most of the same problems listed in this thread. The 2nd drill just started acting up after having used it for over 2 months.

Would really like to hear something on this thread from a Ridgid Rep !!!!

If I can't get a solution to this problem, I will go with another brand. I really do like the Ridgid drill, just can't take the intermittent operation issue.

Comment

Originally posted by alexr View Post

My drill does the same thing. Purchased the unit in July and took it back for a replacement in August. The "new" unit does the same! Seems the batteries do not hold a charge and "die" too fast. I am very unhappy with this undependable drill unit.

Comment

I've been having the same problems too.

The drill & batteries worked perfectly for about 2 weeks when all of a sudden the drill just stopped dead after hardly any work. At first i figured the battery must have been dead so i switched it out for a fully charged one but it still didn't work properly. The drill would work for 5 seconds, die for 30 seconds, work for 5 seconds, die for 30 seconds over and over again regardless of the battery charge. The only way I could get it to work is if i just leave it for alone for a couple hours.

This has happened quite a few times now and with the addition of havcing charger problems with my 18v set, I'm starting to wonder whether Ridgid was the right choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X