X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid 1.8 hp oil less compressor won't hold pressure

I have a rigid 1.8 hp oil less compressor. It made a loud pop noise and now it will continue to run and only go to 50 psi. When I turn it off the air does not leak out, so there is something else wrong. It is under warranty, but I don't want to screw with sending it in. What do you think would need to be changed out to fix this?
    Thanks, Kirk.

Re: Rigid 1.8 hp oil less compressor won't hold pressure

The tank has a safety valve that opens if the pressure switch malfunctions. If this valve is open the compressor can't build up air pressure. Is your tank drain valve fully closed? It would be hard to hear an air leak when the compressor is running.

Comment

Yes the valve in closed. I turn the compressor off and listen for a leak and can't hear it. I then leave the air in the tanks to see if it will hold and the next day it is still at 50psi.

Comment

dont take it back to hd unless its less than 90 days, is there a service center within driving range of you?

you may have a broke valve plate,blown gasket or piston seal is torn, you will have to pull the head and cylinder off to inspect

post your model number

Comment

Originally posted by smallen View Post
          dont take it back to hd unless its less than 90 days, is there a service center within driving range of you?

you may have a broke valve plate,blown gasket or piston seal is torn, you will have to pull the head and cylinder off to inspect

post your model number

Bingo. If your unit is holding pressure with no issues then the problem lies within the compressor internals.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for all the great replies.
            There is a repair shop right down the street from our Home Depot that they says does all the Ridgid warranty work, but when I took it to them they no longer cover Ridgid warranties. They told me it would be at least $150.00 for the repair.
            It is a Ridgid 1.8 hp twin stack compressor and I think the model # is mc303200av.
            But, I will pull it apart and see about replacing seals.
            Thanks, again for all the responses.
            Kirk.
            Last edited by kirkclean; 09-28-2009, 11:43 AM. Reason: wrong hp

Comment

that looks like a campbell hausfeld part number for the motor/pump assy.
              look on the back of tank for3x4 sticker with model and serial number
              look for a campbell hausfeld in your area, they can take care of the warranty or supply parts for you

http://www.chpower.com/webapp/wcs/st...0001&langId=-1

Comment

Yes that was the motor #. It is 45150A. Thanks.

Comment

if you choose to fix yourself, remove the head and valve plates, check plates for broke plate, if they look good then lift the cylinder off and inspect the bore and piston seal

dont lift the cylinder off till you inspect the valve plates

Comment

Thanks. I haven't done it yet and this really isn't my area of expertise, so I was thinking along the lines of what you said, though.

Comment

I ordered a new piston assembly and replaced it. Works great now, except it won't stop running. I filled it up to 125psi and it has held there all day, but if I turn it on it will keep running until the releif valve kicks open. What part is it that controls the pressure level and shuts the motor off at a specific pressure?

Comment

I am looking for part for the Rigid air compressor model # OF25135A but I only see parts for OF25135CW are they compatible or where can I get parts for the A model.
                        Vacuum Systems | Industrial Pumps |Centrifugal Pumps

Comment

Working...
                        X